Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
'74 Sovereign Roof Vent Question

We are planning on replacing two of our roof vents in our 74 31' Sovereign with Fantistic vents. All these vents have been replaced over the years and the one in the bath has a 12 volt motor to power the fan so power is there for a new Fantastic Vent.

The vents in the front do not have motors so no electric power appears to be available. Here's the question? Did one or both of the vents in the front have electric powered vents when it was manufactured? If so, power may be there that we can use but is capped off. We would appreciate input from those of you that have encountered this situation.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiestreamer View Post
We are planning on replacing two of our roof vents in our 74 31' Sovereign with Fantistic vents. All these vents have been replaced over the years and the one in the bath has a 12 volt motor to power the fan so power is there for a new Fantastic Vent.

The vents in the front do not have motors so no electric power appears to be available. Here's the question? Did one or both of the vents in the front have electric powered vents when it was manufactured? If so, power may be there that we can use but is capped off. We would appreciate input from those of you that have encountered this situation.
All of the vents have a 12 volt supply, but when a motor is not used, the wire is hidden in the ceiling at the vent.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Since the 12 volt power wires for virtually everything run down the center of the roof you can probably find a hot line nearby when you pull the roof vents you have out. I think 2 of the 3 roof vents had a power fan in them originally, but I am not sure about that. At any rate, I think you will be able to find power close when you get the old vents out.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Thanks Andy and idroba! Just the info I needed.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Warman , SK
Three vents in my 77 sovereign.
Should I replace all three with power vents?
Fan-Tastic or Maxxair?
Blockparty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign