Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Port Richey , Florida
'74 Sovereign Needs some Love

Well, finally got my first Airstream after looking for some time and i chose to do the remodel so I can do it my way. So I found this poor old girl being neglected in a trailerpark and it just needs some TLC.

Here is what i know, the main awning is broken, broke loose as we took it home, will have pics of that later. I would like you experts to look at some photos of the shell and windows and let me know what you think, then we can get to the interior issues. Its all gonna be new and I will make much of it myself. (im a cabinetmaker)

Here are some images of the window and roof conditions. Please be brutally honest. Can I get by with used parts or is that shooting myself in the foot with these exterior items? Thanks in advance.

Rear Window

These were in a closet with old window tint done poorly.

Here is the condition of the roof and roof components, needs work.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Looks pretty good from here. From one of the photos the axles sit nice and high which is a good thing.

Post another photo of how the wheels sit in the wheel well. The early 70s axles are prone to failure after 25 years or so. If the axles are bad the wheels will sit very high into the wheel well.

You have a Zipdee awning there. This is also good news as all the awning parts are still available and Zipdee is consumer friendly.

The windows are double pane and show the tinting film peeling which is common. No hurry to fix. The inner pane can be broken out so you have a single pane window. They can also be taken apart and rebuilt which is a major PITA.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Plumbing vents are easy, take the covers off, clean the old crap off and reinstall with a new rubber gasket, screening and replace the metal cover.

Not sure what is up with the windows. Are those double pane, storms or?

FWIW I have a 75 it is very similar to the 74 let me know if you need pictures, scans or whatever.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Port Richey , Florida
wahoo, thanks, i might take you up on that. These are the first of about 50 photos I took and will upload by section in the appropriate forums. I wanted to address the shell first and get an overall opinon first. Thanks folks, I am really excited to start this journey with my new forum friends.

I like this place and the people in it.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Oops Forgot to add you will need fresh sealant when you redo the vents. I typically use Vulkem 636 for most of my outside sealant needs. BTW the best way to get a hold of me is via the PM system.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Welcome to the forums! We have a 74 Sovereign as well. Ours is a mid bath, I can't tell from the photos where your bath is.
How is your floor? Ours was rotten in the rear and a few other spots. At first I was just going to repair where needed, but I ended up replacing the whole floor. I also had to repair or replace about 80% of the outriggers and reinforce the main frame rails at the rear. It was a much bigger job than I thought, but I got a new welder out of it! I've described some of what I've done here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ign-49899.html
We'll be almost totally rebuilding the interior so we can sleep six. There will be two sets of bunks in the rear bedroom and another set across from the bathroom. Where the front gaucho was there will be a dinette. Lots of work to do! At least it's warm where you are. I'm having to work in the cold these days.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote