Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
TIG welder

1973 25' Tradewind
Wilson , New York
'73 TW, 25 foot issues!!

I have owned my Trade-Wind for about 10 years now. The A/C has stopped making cold. It still makes noise. I think it needs re-charging, but that (I was told) takes R-22, which they can't get anymore. The Univolt had quit several years ago, so I replaced it with a 'Charge Wizard", which seems to work fine.
Now, the toilet seeps, and will fill to the top, if the pump is left on. Is there a re-build kit for the flush valve? It only leaks very slowly, but I don't want all my water going into the blackwater tank. I don't have a grey water tank at all.
The furnace works OK, but the small cover that can be taken off to look inside the heat chamber, (that looks like the top of a 1 pint can of chrome polish or something) the threads on the bigger are are rusted almost to oblivion.
My wife hates the cabinet roll-up doors. I do too. We worked on them for about a week when we first got it, glueing canvas to the backs of them. That has worked so far, but I suspect they will start separating again, soon. What cure is there for them?
I was bad and ripped out the front couch, and replaced it with a couple chairs, and a small round table between them. It works fine for us, but not quite what the purists would appreciate!
I do have a hole in one of the outside panels, it was hit by flying debris and it poked a hole about 1.25"x3". I can weld that up, no problem. Getting it to blend in will be the hardest part, matching the finish.
Now, the wife thinks we should sell it, and go into debt to buy "something newer" I suspect it would be cheaper to fix all that stuff, and still have our cool old AS!
Still need a solution to the vertical sliders on the storage compartments up above.
Can I just replace the plenum of the furnace, or do they still make a replacement unit? Model NT22A
I was told I might sell it, as is, and let someone else deal with all these issues.
I am OK with tools, and have been welding aluminum since 1969, but I never have changed an A/C unit. I was just quoted a price of $650.00 for a replacement. $125 to do it.
I should be fixing the hole right now, as it is very still out, right now. Can't have any wind for heli-arc welding. Speaking of wind, I have been VERY windy, myself!! Sorry! Any suggestions?
Oh, I have never used the hot-water heater, and the burner looks pretty rusty. Just easier to just heat a pot of water on the stove, so I never delt with it, other than to drain it every year.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you. It is so much fun owning a vintage trailer. The only way I would sell my Bambi II was if someone just offered me too much money to refuse and I will not know how much that is until it happens. ☺

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Give your wife a list of all the crap that you have to try and get fixed under warranty on a new unit, and how it will have to sit at the dealer for months, or you will have to tow it to Ohio to have the stuff fixed (again) at the factory.

My personal preference is to dance with the devil you know...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
TIG welder

1973 25' Tradewind
Wilson , New York
Another thing I just remembered, I replaced all the crummy 1157 bulb overhead lights with new LED lights. Much better, more light, and less power draw.
I am leaning toward getting a square camper that weighs less, the TW weighs 5800 Lbs.
It seems to pull hard, but the tires are old. I am thinking radial tires might be easier pulling. All my electric works, as does the Dometic fridge, on gas or electric. stove top and oven are good, too.
I put a bigger CFM exhaust fan in the front roof vent, also.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You won't find much in the same size range that tows better than an Airstream. I tow 31' with an F150. Also hard to beat that aluminum shell for durability. I have had a couple of SOB's over the years and wouldn't trade my old Airstream for a new anything.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We always shut the pump off when not in use. At first it was a bit of an inconvenience because the switch is located in the galley. I installed a switch in the bathroom. So the procedure is turn on the pump, turn on the lights (if needed) , do your business, turn of the pump and lights. No water wasted.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Southaven , Mississippi
My name is Woody. Joined the forum a few minutes ago. I purchased a 1977 Argosy yesterday. It's been in the same family since new and has been sitting for the last lots of years. It looks to be in fair shape. needs a real good cleaning inside and out before I can see just what needs to be fixed or replaced. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I get into it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Woodyarn

Welcome to the forum and to the future adventures that go with Airstream ownership.

bmwsid

I love my TW, so I would keep it and fix the stuff that matters to you and your wife.

Step one though is to replace all the tires. They are dangerous. Tires older than 5 years are said to be living on borrowed time.

Water heaters are pretty simple and reliable. I would try fixing it first. If that does not work then buy a new one. It should last as long as you own the Airstream.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
There is very little that can go wrong with the old water heaters - no circuit boards & igniters. However, spiders tend to build webs and nests in and around the orfices - they are attracted to the propane smell. One trick a friend of mine (who among other things, is a licensed master gas technician) told me about was to use a blow torch to heat the pilot light for the hot water tank - it melts the spider webs.

A few years ago when I was on a caravan to Bozeman, one of the guys was in a 1956 Bubble and we used the blow torch tick to get his hot water heater working.

Because your h/w heater has not seen use for quite some time, an additional thing you might do is to use the flexible brush for cleaning BBQ burners through the burner pipe.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
TIG welder

1973 25' Tradewind
Wilson , New York
Well, we just went and found a good ? deal on a 20' "other brand" that she likes better.
I guess I will be selling the Trade Wind and let the next guy worry about all the fixing. I was offered 5K for it a few days ago.
My 'other brand' is 1/2 ton lighter, and made in 2007.
The T/W tires are 700X15s If I sell it to anyone that has to tow it any distance, I would have to replace them tires before they took it. I even have a spare for it! I wonder how old that one is! I do not remember how to tell the age of a tire by the numbers on them. I should be able to do a search and find it.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Woodyarn

Welcome to the forum and to the future adventures that go with Airstream ownership.

bmwsid

I love my TW, so I would keep it and fix the stuff that matters to you and your wife.

Step one though is to replace all the tires. They are dangerous. Tires older than 5 years are said to be living on borrowed time.

Water heaters are pretty simple and reliable. I would try fixing it first. If that does not work then buy a new one. It should last as long as you own the Airstream.

Good luck.

Dan
Thanks for the welcome Dan. I know what you mean about the tires. All six are in various stages of dry rot. Five still hold air the other one is completely gone. I'm having it moved on a flat bed. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the forum as I get into repairs.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
There is very little that can go wrong with the old water heaters - no circuit boards & igniters. However, spiders tend to build webs and nests in and around the orfices - they are attracted to the propane smell. One trick a friend of mine (who among other things, is a licensed master gas technician) told me about was to use a blow torch to heat the pilot light for the hot water tank - it melts the spider webs.

A few years ago when I was on a caravan to Bozeman, one of the guys was in a 1956 Bubble and we used the blow torch tick to get his hot water heater working.

Because your h/w heater has not seen use for quite some time, an additional thing you might do is to use the flexible brush for cleaning BBQ burners through the burner pipe.
I wonder what it is about propane that attracts spiders. I like long hot showers in the winter so i was thinking about a tankless heater. Hooked up to city water wouldn't be a problem but sure I'd have to have a bigger, stronger pump on the road. Has anyone had any experience with a tankless heater?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Woodyarn

Good timing on your question about tankless water heaterw:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...ml#post1172425

Dan