Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sherwood , Oregon
'72 Ambassador Repair of Furnace and Bathroom Faucet

Hello - I'm a new owner of a 1972 Ambassador. I would appreciate any advise in two areas:

1. I have three stories about removing and replacing the furnace. One RV shop told me it would come out through the cabinet. Another says the cabinet has to be removed, and another told me that he had it out and on the bench while trouble shooting it.....

2. Is there anyway to replace the Bath tub faucet with out removing the entire panel in the bathroom.

Thanks
tdveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In answer to your questions:
1- depending on model, your furnace may be one of the "recall furnaces" that tend to leak CO into the cabin while operating. If so, it should be looke closely at for replacement for this issue, since the parts to make it safe don't seem to be readily available anymore. Next, depending on where the furnace is loacted, it may be realtively easy to remove, or very dificult. If it's under the galley cabinets, you will have to remove some parts of the cabinetry to get it out. You don't have to remove the whole housing to get the inner workings out.
2- If you have a rear bath model, you probebly will have to take a lot of the tub area apart to get to it.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
... depending on model, your furnace may be one of the "recall furnaces" that tend to leak CO into the cabin while operating.
That's exactly in the period for the Suburban recall. Suburban or not, I don't think I'd want me or my family inside a trailer operating with a furnace this old. Getting a new furnace is cheap insurance!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Welcome, neighbor to the west.
A CO detector is also cheap insurance. You never know when that new furnace, stove, or refrigerator may start to act up............. can't smell it and waking up in the middle of the night to an alarm sure beats waking up dead.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sherwood , Oregon
Thanks, all. This is very helpful. I will replace the furnace and will take the advice of a CO2 sensor.
tdveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
You need to remove the top to access the faucet assembly. The problem is, the end of that piece is held in place by a couple of screws from the other side of the wall. I think you may need to remove the bedroom wall to access the two screws. You obviously need to remove the trim and drill out a few rivets as well.

Below is a picture of the top piece removed (the whole wall is removed as well).

The furnace will come out, I'm just trying to remember how. I know you need to remove the exhaust screw from the outside (and maybe the plate itself), and it slides, but not very easily, out of the cabinet once you remove the front cover. (Look for some screws up front as well.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tub&vanity3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	55231  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop

The furnace will come out, I'm just trying to remember how. I know you need to remove the exhaust screw from the outside (and maybe the plate itself), and it slides, but not very easily, out of the cabinet once you remove the front cover. (Look for some screws up front as well.)
Our NT32A had 2 screws outside, you will need to remove the four screws on the outer vent to get at the 2 under the vent. There are also 4 screws inside that hold the furnace into the housing. Some may have already been removed. LP line and electric wires will need to be unhooked as well.