Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pinebluff , North Carolina
'70 Airstream Overlander

Early stages of bringing rig up to speed

Basically original shape- Getting it checked out at local RV shop before updating

One question - What is the best way to clean up the rust damage under door / step & tounge? Also, one small soft spot in floor by door.

Cut out & replace?

Sandblast?

I would apprciate any thoughts from the experts

Thanks,

Jay Basinger
jaybay6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Jay, as long as the soft spot is not too soft, I would recommend Rot Doctor for the soft spot. As for the rust, depends on how bad it is. You can use a wire brush and a can of Ospho, followed by regular paint, or you can sandblast the area, and prime and paint. Here is a photo of a large soft spot repaired using Rot Doctor:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 141.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	43691  
Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Pinebluff , North Carolina
how do you post pictures?
jaybay6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybay6347
how do you post pictures?
You mean like in post #2? After you enter your test, and before you click "submit reply", scroll down slightly on the page. You will see a tab marked "manage attachments". Click that, and a small pop-up screen will appear. You then click one of the buttons marked "browse", and search in your computer for the photo. Click the "save" tab, and then click "upload". When it's done uploading, click "close window", then click "submit reply".
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
yeah my steps are rust welded in.. fortunately I am an old enuf dawg to know to use lube, be patient, use lube, be patient, use lube, be patient, use lube, be patient, use lube, be patient, and wait somemore
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Rust

I just encountered and dealt with this too. I sandblasted the step and frame area around the step along with the tongue. Then I used a special primer for use over rusty metal (even though I sandblasted 95% of the rust away) and used a silver top coat. It looks great. You can see the before, during and after pictures on my thread.
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Rotted floor
If you have a airstream shop manual for your model there is a technique discribed that is fairly easy. You first cut out the rot. Cut 2 inch strips of plywood that you glue and screw to the underside of the floor leaving 1 inch exposed. Now cut a plywood patch that fits the opening and glue and screw it to the 1 inch exposed strips.
Works great
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote