Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Thanks for the LP test info and the invite Top. Hopefully we will be going on our maiden voyage soon.

Finally have some time this weekend to get some work done. I started the ac motor replacement this evening. Got the motor out and the new one mounted to the motor mount. I have to go in the morning and pick up some rubber isolator bushings. It's terrible that Airstream can't make a rubber bushing last longer than 45 years.[emoji1]

I've also started the pex plumbing retrofit. Someone had already replaced the copper with gray pvc with flare fittings. Too many threaded connections for my liking.

Not having much luck finding a fridge to suit me. Took a chance on one out of a 71 Sovereign but can't seem to get the door to quit dragging on the sides. I would like to use an older style without circuit boards and wouldn't mind replacing the cooling unit if the box is in good shape. Oh well, the search continues.
e5earley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Finally got all of my pex plumbing in. All that's left is tying it all in at the back of the trailer.

AC is cooling great. It's a lot quieter since changing the fan motor out. I still only have one speed. One of the relays need to be replaced. That's on the agenda for next week along with trying to repair the AC shroud.

I have reservations for next weekend at the lake for our maiden voyage. Going to be a busy week tying up all the loose ends. My wife and I can't wait to spend our first night in the trailer. We have went from old worn out 5th wheel, to new trailer, to tent, to old popup, and now vintage Airstream. Even with all the rot, dents, scratches, and smell, The Stream is definitely our favorite.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
We're getting close...

Busy day today...

Faucets hooked up
Successful leak test
New fiberglass insulation in front wall
Interior skins riveted in
Hot water heater lit and running great
Battery installed and charging
Curtains dropped off at the dry cleaners
New roller shade installed in bathroom
Rug laid down on bare floor
Futon couch moved into living room
Washed exterior at car wash
Purchased new twin mattress

Left to do tomorrow...

Locate proper fitting to hook water line to toilet.
Install roller shades in bedroom and living room side windows.
Install wire from antenna to inside camper.
Install flat panel tv.

Then......CAMPING!!! WOOHOO!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
We had a successful maiden voyage this past weekend. No major malfunctions. Realized I needed a thetford to valterra adapter on my sewer outlet. Made do with a few gray water drips.

Here's a pic of The Stream in its preferred environment.

And I have to throw in a few pics of of some of our camp cuisine.

Spam and coffee

Dutch oven baking away.

Golden brown and ready for homemade muscadine jelly.

We're gonna head out again next week for about 5 days. This week's agenda includes rigging up satellite dish, picking up new mattress for my bunk(wife got the new one, I got jealous), and trying to fab up some diffusers for the bathroom light fixtures.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
That's great!
I see someone couldn't wait for the SPAM to be fried
Have fun!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Hard to believe it's been nearly 2 years since I updated this thread. A lot has been done since then. New flooring installed, gaucho recovered, walls painted, and a new fridge installed. Replaced the back section of flooring a couple weeks ago. Built a frame for the hot water heater out of aluminum angle, installed a weather proof shore cable connnector, and started stripping clear coat yesterday.

Still need to replace glass in front and rear windows. Originallly was thinking about lexan. Price per sheet is 70 at Home Depot. Called my local glass shop and can get tempered glass for 50. Much better solution. Today I'm going to try to get black tank installed and fab up some flashing for the rear frame area. Don't want to ever replace that section of floor again.

I'll post some new pics up today.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Here is what was left of the ac shroud.

Aluminum screen and duct tape over the holes.

First lay up of fiberglass closed up the majority of the hole. Another lay up should do it.

Rear end sag was enough to run water line out the back. Back 2 ft was completely rotted out.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Rot is gone!!!

Pic of hot water heater install. This was a quick throw it in, seal it up and go camping install. With all the rot, there wasn't much to attach to.

Built an aluminum frame for water heater.

Water heater painted and installed in aluminum angle frame. Much more solid than it was. Best I could do along the dented area. Might eventually replace the creased panel. Until then it will just have to be a beauty mark.

Decided to add the exterior shore cable plug here. It's not a furrion, but is waterproof and much cheaper.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
I have been fighting a leak out of the front roof vent for quite some time. Pulled the vent cover off and not sure if the problem was the silicone, rtv sealant, bathroom caulk or bondo.

Cleaned everything off with a flapper wheel on my grinder. I believe I'm just going to rivet a piece of aluminum on top and call it good.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
If you cover the hole with translucent plastic you'll get some light during the day. Our original vents have the plastic center and it helps during the day.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Went ahead and took Dennis's suggestion and used a piece of lexan. All they had at Home Depot was clear. I may add some window film if it's too bright.

Started replacing the window gaskets today. Completed one of the living room windows. Boy, when they installed those gaskets in 69 they were serious.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Almost ready to roll!

New tempered glass in front and rear windows, new set of 225-75-15's, LED clearance lights all around, breakaway switch installed, vinyl flooring in bathroom done, and trailer inspected and tagged.

It's been a whirlwind two weeks with several late night sessions.

Headed out tomorrow morning to Orange Beach.

Pics to come.

Tags
sovereign