Old 05-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
'68 Airstream prospecting - HELP?!

So, being new and completely green to the world of rv I find myself looking into an 68 airsream. I know very little about these trailers, but I have looked over a couple restorations posted here.

Getting to the point. This is what Im looking at: A 1968 31 foot (sovereign) land yacht @ $2300. The interior is said to be "all there, just needing repair", but from what I can see, I think I would rip it all down to the walls, replace the floor, and start fresh. I can see signs of water damage around the edges of the floor, so I'm a little worried about what lies beneath.

The exterior is in decent shape, but half the windows if not more are plexi/lexan. and there is a decent dent above the front window(which is also plexi). And, the seals around the door and windows look like they are shot.

My immediate plans would be to use it as a non mobile trailer while I clear off some land I am getting ready to build on. I would though like to later on dig into it and get it fully functional and out on the road from time to time. What I am expecting to get out of this is something with working plumbing, electric, gas, and to keep the elements away.

At the price (2300) it seems as though I should be able to get a decent working little shanty with some time and effort.....well and obviously some additional spending. But, I have about a 5 month window to accomplish that.

My question is, knowing what Im sure a number of the members here know about these trailers, should I take the plunge? Or.....would I easily be in over my head?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hi and welcome to the forums,
The plunge is up to you. It depends on what kind of skills you have to determine if you would be in over your head. Many people buy a trailer with the intention of fixing it, but, sadly, they don't follow through with their intentions for a number of reasons. If you have the time, skills and money, just about anything is possible. A 1968 Sovereign is probably one of the biggest projects out there to tackle. Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well, if you are completely new to all this Airstream business, I think it would make an interesting go for you. We treat ours as a hobby - to take care of this Airstream we have here - and do it a little at a time...polishing...fixing a pipe...etc. But when you mention floor damage. Yes that could get you in pretty deep as far as fixing it. But hey - why not go a head and take the plunge? If you find you can't handle it, then maybe sell it again. But otherwise - here on the AIR forums, there is PLENTY of Back up and help for you and to guide you when you have questions. I know they all helped (and still do) me all these five or so years we have had ours.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
I am extremely handy. I am a designer/fabricator at a company that sells off road products and body armor for vehicles, as well as very mechanically inclined. Most anything I take apart I can put back together.

I have seen similar models in the area for around 5 - 10k, but each seems to have its own form of....personality. @ 2k though, It seems like I could use the extra cash to make improvements. I just dont know if I'd be spending that on just replacing the glass and seals, you know?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
The 66-68 Corning glass replacement windows are a bit pricey. Expect to spend about $200 per window for an Airstream replacement tempered glass. Sounds like you can do it to me.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
One glass window runs about 400.00 from inland RV. They are slightly curved. But thats what having an Airstream is all about is maintaining and restoration of it, and making it 'YOURS'. You are right above Houston, thats cool. The price seems pretty fair, and they do get pricey - even the used ones...They stress alot about the duo-torque axles and rear end separation. You know they also have inspectors on here that will go look it over for you to see if you are getting into a good deal also.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Check out my thread...1967 Tradewind Travel Travails. Its a bit of work, a bit of fun & a lot of money. We enjoy it!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Check out my thread...1967 Tradewind Travel Travails. Its a bit of work, a bit of fun & a lot of money. We enjoy it!
Just from the first few pictures, i can say that your trailer was in worlds better shape than the one I went and looked at.

I found another, in a 73 model. Its more than twice the price, but all plumbing and electrical is in perfect working order. the body has a couple minor blems, and one moderate on the street side where they tagged something going down the highway.

Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/stevent...eat=directlink

I plan on making many improvements in the future, but this one looks like it will do most everything I need right out of the box. Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The '73 looks to have new floor and new axels, so someone knew what to do. Without seeing it in person, hard to give good advice, but it looks pretty decent and would need a lot less work than the 68 you mentioned.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The '73 looks to have new floor and new axels, so someone knew what to do. Without seeing it in person, hard to give good advice, but it looks pretty decent and would need a lot less work than the 68 you mentioned.
I talked to the guy selling it earlier, he said all running gear and associated components, including wiring have been replaced. Im getting excited. Im already stewing up ideas for renovations.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The glass is expensive (the curved pieces), I had replace all of it in my 68 Trade Wind. You can easily spend a day on each window by the time yo clean the frame, remove all the old glass and install the new. If they have plexi in there like mine did getting the gook off they tried to seal it with was a nightmare. BE AWARE, the the mechanisms that hold the window in at the bottom are not available except salvage. They are very hard to come by and very expensive if and when you can find them. You have to have them because they hold the window closed so it they are missing you might think twice. Also, look inside the trailer under each vent stack. I had severe floor rot under all 3 vents and around the front door and the access hatches. I had a great time fixing my Trade Wind but it took about 4 times a long (I'm retired and have time) and about 3x the money I had estimated. It is all the little things that add up and they add up quickly.
Lots of info on the forums on how to check the axles, you should know how and make sure they are OK.
Good luck.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
I am the proud new owner the 73 shown on the previous link! Picked it up yesterday for 5200. I was told that everything works on it with the exception of the heater furnace, and the water pump is uncertain. Though, when I plugged up to haul it off, I had no trailer lighting. I said screw it and made the 4 hour drive home pushing my way through traffic!

I might need to start a new post for this but I have one immediate concern. Watch the link below at right about the 50 sec mark you can see the handy work I am referring to.

Vintage 1973 Airstream 31' Sovereign - YouTube

It appears the frame had some sag in the rear, and when he took it in for repair, it came back with this concoction of turn-buckles and angle iron. Its got to go! But, what do I need to do to right this thing properly, so that it doesnt need this "splint"
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Congratulations! Nice looking trailer. Have fun enjoying her.