Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mountain Center , California
67 Sovereign exterior lights

I have a 1967 Sovereign with the front 3 and front sides of the clearance lights working but the rest towards the back are not working plus brake lights,signal and reverse are not working as well. Is there a schematic anywhere that shows the wiring for those systems? I’m sure there is a damaged wire somewhere but don’t know what panels to pull off to get to them. Thanks in advance for the help
ianwildeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ml#post2260771
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
That schematic does not show the wiring for the exterior lights. Hopefully someone out there knows how they did the wiring...is it under the floor , is it up high by the clearance lights I just can’t tell.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Most likely they are routed through the shell via the center ceiling panel.
If you’ve checked all your fuses already then you most likely have a ground issue along the way. Try removing and checking the clearance lights wiring working your way from closest to fuse panel on back. Or just replace all off them with LED lights and forget about it... once you find the ground issue of course.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
The fuse panel will be really close to your batteries.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I did replace all the clearance lights with LEDs and have a brand new fuse panel. Looking from one of the brake lights it looks like the wires run on the bottom along the frame. I have an almost finished trailer and don’t want to start taking panels off because then I would have to remove cabinets. I replaced the air conditioner and had to cut a 14”x14” hole on the top center and found no clearance light or brake light wires there. Thanks to all for the help!
Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Did they work then not work after you swapped everything?

Problems like this are almost always a ground issue.

Ian
Old 07-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwildeart View Post
I did replace all the clearance lights with LEDs and have a brand new fuse panel. Looking from one of the brake lights it looks like the wires run on the bottom along the frame. I have an almost finished trailer and don’t want to start taking panels off because then I would have to remove cabinets. I replaced the air conditioner and had to cut a 14”x14” hole on the top center and found no clearance light or brake light wires there. Thanks to all for the help!
My 64 Safari Clearance, brake, tail and backup lights are under the sub-floor and through the frame rails. This is a separate system, all fuses for these are on the tow vehicle, not in the trailer. Hopefully you will not have to remove to much of your belly skins to find your problem.

First, get your multi meter, Check the sockets for power and ground. If you get no love, then I might start at the 7-pin umbilical, trace that back to the junction box under the front somewhere and look for loose or broken connections and follow your way back to the rear.
Best of luck,
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
It is rare that a wire will break in the middle of a run. Most likely it’s the connections If it is not a ground, next I would check the 7 pin connector. Clean them up with emery cloth. And then dielectric grease.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
I have a 1967 Sovereign with the front 3 and front sides of the clearance lights working but the rest towards the back are not working plus brake lights,signal and reverse are not working as well. Is there a schematic anywhere that shows the wiring for those systems? I’m sure there is a damaged wire somewhere but don’t know what panels to pull off to get to them. Thanks in advance for the help

If it was me, and the problem is under the skins, I'd run new wires to the back underneath the trailer.

(In fact, if I had it to do over again, I'd run them there anyway.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
The wires are under the belly along frame. But I need to go up to the clearance lights. Does anybody know how the clearance lights are wired? Does it go up to one and the distribute to the others on each side or does it cross cross to each light? Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post it has been very helpful and thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
The wires are under the belly along frame. But I need to go up to the clearance lights. Does anybody know how the clearance lights are wired? Does it go up to one and the distribute to the others on each side or does it cross cross to each light? Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post it has been very helpful and thanks in advance for the help.

You can bring a single wire up and split it five ways up top, or you can make a "home run" and connect them all together down low..... In your instance I think I'd be prone to home run the wires unless you still have excellent access to the back of the lights.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
FIRST get on your hands and knees and look under the rig on curbside more or less between the front window nearest the door and the hitch area. You'll see a small hatch, maybe 10" by 10" or so. That hatch covers the connections between the onboard wiring (including all running lights, tail lights, brake lights) and the umbilical from the tow vehicle. Redo all connections under there: Take off old connectors, clean wiring very well, apply some grease, redo with connectors of better quality.

Lynn
Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
You can bring a single wire up and split it five ways up top, or you can make a "home run" and connect them all together down low..... In your instance I think I'd be prone to home run the wires unless you still have excellent access to the back of the lights.
I don’t really have access from the inside. The inside is almost complete so I don’t want to take off any interior panels. I’m trying to do this all from the frame under the floor which is where the original wiring was. The original wires were chewed up by rodents. I’m trying to find where the green wire goes up the clearance lights from the main so I can splice in from there with new wiring . Thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
67 Sovereign exterior lights

Well, you could use a battery or something like THIS,,,, https://www.powerprobe.com ,,, to power up the wires one at a time to see what their function is.

(I have an older model that is more like the "basic" model.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Update

So I found where the rats chewed up the wires which were behind the wheels along the frame. I spliced in there and ran it to the back and spliced it where it goes up near the bumper up to the rear left brake light. At the left brake light there is one green wire that comes from the left side that was sparking when given juice. I left that separate from the other bunch of green wires that were together with a wire nut and I got everything to work (tail lights,signals,reverse and license plate)but not the clearance lights. Still the only clearance lights working were the front 3 and front sides not anything towards the back. I can’t figure out how the schematic of the trailer light go. Does the main go to the back, go up to the clearance lights from there get wired from one to the other along each side? or does the wire criss cross across the top to each one? Not sure how to approach this...thanks for the help guys!

Tags
sovereign