Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

1966 26' Overlander
Gainesville , Florida
66 Overlander - where to get started?

My wife and her sister have bought her grandfather's 1966 Overlander (that he bought new for $3500!). Overall, it's in very good shape, although I can tell there have been some changes made over the years (for instance, the fridge isn't the original, as it's electric only).

I'm trying to figure out where to start in getting it ready to use. The most obvious issue to me is that there is a tear in the belly pan towards the rear, and something is obviously dropped down (as I can move it up when I push on it). Is this the black water tank?

To get a better look, I'm obviously going to have to remove the belly pan. Can I just drill out the pop rivets along the bottom and remove the skins that way? Also, as I'm mostly restricted to working on weekends, can I leave the belly skins off for an extended period of time while I work on this?

Finally, for a questions that completely exposes my ignorance - in the tail compartment, just to the left of the fuse panel (as you're looking towards the front), there's a tube that seems to leak water when it rains. What is this? It's about 2-3" long and maybe 1/4" diameter. I only noticed it because I had removed the 10 year old battery a few weeks ago (because the sides were bulging out) and haven't had a chance to replace it, and the pan where the battery goes is full of water and it seemed to be coming from this tube. I initially thought it was for venting battery gas, but now I'm not sure. This may be where the floor damage came from too.

Thanks for any help! We're really looking forward to (eventually) taking the kids out in this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6155.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	347438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6151.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	347439  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	347440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6153.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	347441  

Khelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Congratulations on your new project. I would remove what I can of the belly pan mainly to inspect the chassis framing. Sounds like that could be the black tank and the straps may have rusted through. The 1/4” hose sounds like the battery off-gas hose. Just above your rear hatch door there should be a small 1/2” tab of aluminum with a hole behind it. On the inside, the hose slides into the hole so it can off-gas to the exterior. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote