Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
To be, or not to be...

This is a constant problem, deciding if it's all worth it.

I take a philosophical approach and say to myself...."this will never, in a million years, ever be worth as much money as I will put into it, Therefore I must consider it a labor of love."

Now, whenever I start to wonder if it's all worth it, I just ask myself "do you still love it?"

So far the answer is YES!

I will never be able to sell it for enough to make it anything other than a financial loss, so I will keep it, fix it, enjoy it and then pass it on to a deserving person who could otherwise never afford one.

Further, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time, for any reason or no reason at all!

Sadly, some trailers are destined for the scrap yard. If that's the case with yours I hope you will give the folks here first chance at parts. Some of what you have is valuable as parts, but it's a shame to see another little AS go that way.

Good luck, Rich

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1962 22' Flying Cloud
Yakima , Washington
Never Pull Up The Carpet!

After yesterdays foray into how bad the bows were broken I decided to remove the non factory dinette to see what might lurk under it. I should have known from the outside damage that I would find a problem or two. Of course the guy that sold it to me stated " it doesn't leak" I'm posting a couple of telling photos to prove him wrong and to add to my original dilemma My nick name is so have a great day and feel free to advise.
Oh by the way.Do I need to pull the inner cap or the outer cap to insert the new front bow. I guess the whole front could be removed and the floor replaced at the same time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Don't pull up the carpet.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	80965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Street side rotted hole.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	80966  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Curb side rotted hole.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	80967  

Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I don't think you need to remove the interior or exterior endcap to replace the bow. You should be able to drill out the rivets and slide the old bow out and the new one in.
Every old Airstream floor looks at least that bad. You could piece in some 5/8" ply patches, but with the amount of work you will be into I would just remove all interior panels and gut the old plywood floor completely. That way you can inspect and repair/ paint the frame, which almost certainly needs the attention after 45 years, and replace the insulation everywhere.
You've got this far, you might as well do the Full Monty now!
Good luck to you,
Rich