Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
63 cent clip vs. $15.00 minimum order

The clip that holds my folding mirror against the wall broke. Could not find it at three hardware stores, not even in their catalogs.
Called AS. They gave me the part number and said I had to order it through a dealer, and orders were $15.00 minimum.
This is just another example of AS thinking their product is so special we should pay extra to use it.
Why would they charge $15.00, plus shipping, for a 63 cent clip if they cared a damn about customer service?
The parts guy at the dealer? He was great. Said he could just put it in with one of their other orders and would mail it to me.
I'm thinking about a new 25 with twin beds, but can't get past the way people acted when we twice went to Jackson Center. I felt like a guy in torn overalls walking into the country club.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"I'm thinking about a new 25 with twin beds, but can't get past the way people acted when we twice went to Jackson Center. I felt like a guy in torn overalls walking into the country club."

I love a good mystery. How about some facts to embellish your teaser.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

I bought two keychains from the AS store....$15 shipping. I even offered to send a pre-paid USPS envelope, they wanted no part of the offer....I don't understand why, rigid rules I guess.

Jackson Center is known as the Shaker Heights of rural Ohio.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Very simple solution to that over priced stuff. Don't buy it!

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Fine out who the OEM is of that mirror and contact them directly. Maybe they can help you.

Kelvin
Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Matt, suggestion, remove the latch and hand carry it down to Lowes. They may not have the exact latch but I suspect you will be able to find an easy and probably better quality replacement.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The dealer only had to put it with another order. Most dealers place at least one order over week with AS. Blame the counter man at the dealership. This isn't even a oroblem, just blown out if proportion. The factory isn't a parts store, even though they try to be. The dealers should handle this petty stuff.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Have you checked with Vintage Trailer Supply | Parts for 1940s-1970s Travel Trailers ?

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Exeter , New Hampshire
It's always a fine line with Factories and Manufacturers. When I was in manufacturing and had to deal with a customer who had an old circuit breaker or other component I always wanted to help them out but the cost of answering the call, finding the part, packaging the part and not to mention the legal liability of sending parts out far exceeded the cost of the part. Yes it would have been outstanding customer service to have just sent out the part in this case but IMHO it's why I wouldn't expect the Ford Factory to send me a replacement wiper blade.
Tincandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Huntington Beach , California
This problem is not really an AS problem just standard stay in business in the USA today.
So many companies have to do this. It's hard to understand, that AS most likely loses money on a $0.68 part.

I for one want them to stay in business! I'm going to need replacement parts for many years with our 1978 Excella 500 31'.

Like the idea that the Dealership could have added it to another order. But I think I could have found a couple of other parts to add to my order!

Enjoy the Trailer!
Jerry Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hard to understand AS would do that.

I had a similar experience twice within the least year, both for $0.20 items.

(1) a simple tiny O ring for a Fisher Space Pen. I emailed the company and they emailed ne a few replacement rings no charge, no shipping.

(2) I needed a seal for a "Perlick" brand beer dispensing tap. They only showed the seals on the website for sale at something like 100 at a time - I suppose for dealers to stock them - but no dealers near me had then. I phoned the company direct, and again, a few seals were sent to me no charge, no postage.

Maybe AS needs a bit more fexibiity like that in the interest of good customer service and image!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I went to the Freightliner dealer in Flagstaff (10 years ago) looking for ignition key blanks as spares, I got a quote of > $1. each + freight.
The way they talked about freight, I pictured key blanks strapped to a pallet for the added cost. Didn't turn out near as bad as they let on.
Recently I wanted extra pull clasps for the roller shades in the EB,
contacted the dealer, they forwarded me to the manufacturer, contacted their customer service guy, and four clasps were sent gratis.
I've experienced both ends of the spectrum, never know until you ask, , ,
Old 07-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
It was just the attitude of a couple of people there. We were getting corrosion when the trailer was only a year old. They quite bluntly told me they would not repair it, insinuating it was somehow my fault. Perhaps I went in there with my own attitude. When I've called on the phone to get info they have always been very nice.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Went to Lowe's, Home Depot, and our local hardware store.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I called AS a month ago for a part for my bathroom ceiling fan. The part was under $11 but they wanted another $10 because the order was below a threshold. May even have wanted shipping on top of that but we didn't get that far. I found the part at E-Trailer for $9 plus $3 shipping. I wanted to support the AS supply system but not at that sort of premium.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Matt, check out PPL. Not sure what latch you have. Looking at the PPL catalog and was able to find most of the latches and hinges that I have in my trailer.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Not an unusual policy. I see it pretty often in the world of vintage little British sports cars. And unless it's a mission-critical part, I just add it to a list of stuff to order all at one time.

Personally, I see stores in their most literal sense: They are places where stuff is stored. Storage fees vary a lot, depending on location, retail decoration, method of delivery, number of employees, and so forth, but will always be more -- often a lot more -- than the base cost of the product. Hence, the same small part that costs very little in a remote, non-fancy outfit accessible only via the Internet machine will cost a whole bunch more in the local, retail-accessible hardware store down the street.

Lynn
Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hard to understand AS would do that.

I had a similar experience twice within the least year, both for $0.20 items.

(1) a simple tiny O ring for a Fisher Space Pen. I emailed the company and they emailed ne a few replacement rings no charge, no shipping.

(2) I needed a seal for a "Perlick" brand beer dispensing tap. They only showed the seals on the website for sale at something like 100 at a time - I suppose for dealers to stock them - but no dealers near me had then. I phoned the company direct, and again, a few seals were sent to me no charge, no postage.

Maybe AS needs a bit more fexibiity like that in the interest of good customer service and image!

Brian.

Exactly...it can & should be done. AS does have a B&M and on-line Store afterall all.

The flush slide seal was leaking on our Thetford toilet. The new flush assembly also leaked, the vender was out of stock, factory replacement was here overnight, no return needed, no charge, no shipping.

Bob
Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just out of curiosity, has anybody tried to order a part from any other RV factory direct? What was the response?
Old 07-13-2015, 05:36 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Terry,

No, not really.

But the curious thing is AS, saw fit to send various items while the unit was under warranty, but would not sell me anything after it was out, (at the time NYS had no active dealers).

Bob