Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
'60s vs '70s models

I'm contemplating purchasing a gutted AS from the mid 60s or early 70s. If I'm only interested in the outer look is there a difference in appearance between the two assuming the lengths were the same?
LittleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleA View Post
I'm contemplating purchasing a gutted AS from the mid 60s or early 70s. If I'm only interested in the outer look is there a difference in appearance between the two assuming the lengths were the same?
There was a body style change with the 1969 models. Look here for the most complete picture archive of Airstream trailers: Vintage Airstream Home

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
imho... Mostly personal preference but we looked for a 70's version because of the more modern and appealing look for "us". The softer looking windows with curved corners compared to the square windows is a biggy.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
We initially weren't fussed, apart from looking for a trailer with an original interior... then we found Gladys - a '68 Overlander. I love the square windows.

I haven't actually been in many other Airstreams, something I hope to rectify this year at Burning Man, we live in London (UK).
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
60s = square windows and more end cap panels. Parts harder to come by. More $
70s = round corners and front wing windows. Less panels on end caps. Parts easier to find. -$ Lighter construction.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Did they make the chassis stronger in the 70s than the 60s?
LittleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
early 60's, cool door within a door, even cooler tail lights
Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
60s vs 70s models

Both eras have their charms, and I would be torn if I had to choose between my 1964 Overlander and my 1978 Minuet. Due to my long history with the Overlander it would have to receive my greater favor -- my favorite features include:
  • The door-within-a-door. Anyone traveling with small dogs can appreciate the greater security that this arrangement offers when compared with the more typical screen door found on the later coaches -- my Chihuahuas are far less likely to force the screen out of the retainer channel on the Overlander than on the Minuet.
  • The crank-out windows. My Overlander has the Hehr windows with crank mechanisms which are far easier to operate than the manual lever operators on my Minuet. Granted, there is more to go wrong with the crank mechanisms, to me, their convenience far outweighs the repair costs.
  • The Jalousie Side Window. Prior to 1965, the longer coaches each had a jalousie side window next to the door. This window simplified getting air circulation during rain storms, and was a window that could be cracked open to provide for at least some ventilation while away at activities.
  • The oak veneer interior. While I can't fault the easy care of the laminates in my Minuet, there is a charm and warmth with the original oak veneers in the Overlander that is hard to overlook.
  • The "See-Through" Interior. While both my Overlander and Minuet have this feature, it is not useful on the Minuet where the dark tinted stone guard prevents seeing through except following headlights at night. The Overlander has a Lexan front window, and when towing with my Suburban all I have to do is glance at my center rear view mirror and I can easily see if I have a tailgater behind the coach.
My 1978 Minuet is not without its charms, and I find the following among its most desirable features:
  • The wing windows. The front wing windows certainly create a feeling of greater room and bring the outdoors closer. They are particularly nice when lounging on the sofa when the weather is inclement.
  • Vinyl Laminate Surfaces. The Minuet has vinyl laminate surfaces including cabinets, walls, and ceiling. This material has stood the test of time in my coach -- it is easy to clean and maintain -- even after 30 years it still appears new when freshly cleaned -- it does not, however, have the aesthic warmth of the wood veneers in the Overlander.
  • Retro 1970s Interior Colors. This is definitely a point of individual departure. One of the things that drew me to my Minuet was its Burnt Orange interior color scheme -- dated, but to me, very attractive and reminiscent of the popular colors when I was in high school.
  • Better factory manuals. The Overlander was produced during the first year for the owner's manual which was rudimentary by today's standard. By the time the Minuet rolled off of the production line both owners and shop manuals were available providing much more detailed information.
  • Tambour cabinet doors. Again, one of those things that you either like or hate, it is another of the features that drew me to the Minuet; and despite their temperamental nature, I still really like the ambience that they lend to the coach -- I particularly like the use of the white laminate on the roof lockers and the darker wood-look vinyl laminate on the base cabinets.
As a friend in the Volkswagen New Beetle Owner's Club recently stated: "you almost need to sit in each one being considered to see which one ""speaks"" to you." To me, the same is true for Airstreams -- each era has its charms -- as does each of the various Airstream products -- Argosy -- Argosy Motorhomes -- Airstream Motorhomes -- Square Argosy -- Square Airstream -- Integrity Fifth Wheels -- and Airstram B-Vans.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
What a great comparison, Overlander 64. Very informative.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote