Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2018, 02:40 AM   #1

2018 30' Classic
Colorado Springs , Colorado
2nd catastrophic glycol leak in 9mo on our new 2018 Classic 30' twin

Hello all! Looking for some info and guidance please. We purchased our 2018 Classic in January of this year. She's a beauty! Unfortunately the radiant heat/hot water system (aka Alde system) has failed to work correctly since day 1 and we have now had our second "catastrophic" glycol leak in the 9 short months we've owned 'her'. Catastrophic may not be the correct term but it certainly seems catastrophic to us. We are truly enjoying our Classic but are wondering if others are having these same or similar types of problems.

Radiant heat has generally not been our problem (except the two times all the glycol leaked out on the floor and under things). Hot water has been our problem, generally speaking. In order to take a hot shower anytime during the first 6 months, we had to turn the radiant heat up to 80+ degrees and wait 40-60 min. Then there was enough hot water to take a quick shower. Not a huge problem in the winter in Colorado. Different story entirely in the summer. During those hot months, despite wanting to look forward to a nice shower to start or end our day, it was not enjoyable. The radiant heat set at 80 degrees with the A/C trying to cool it down. Our service tech and I believed the system simply had a lot of air that needed to be bled. So bleeding the air and slowly adding glycol as the reservoir dictated became somewhat of a battle we thought we were going to eventually win. Not yet.

The first catastrophic leak occurred in May, just 4 months after purchase. They believe "a very tiny pebble got under the transition piece at the entry door and that it lodged up against the thin radiant heat pipe that runs under the doorway. Someone must have stepped on the transition piece and the weight and pressure on the tiny pebble pierced the pipe". It was repaired (another story). But there was a substantial amount of glycol that was under the floor and under the sofa that I do worry about the subfloor down the road.

After we got the A/S home we find we are right back where we were before the leak. Heating to 80 degrees for nearly an hour in order to shower. Eventually we made enough progress through bleeding air that we could leave the radiant heat set at 70 and have continuous hot water. That was more tolerable. We continued to bleed air and add glycol to the reservoir. I really thought we were close. Then almost 2 weeks ago we open the door to find yet another "catastrophic" leak of glycol. This time it was pouring out from around both sides of the shower into the walkway, under my bed, and also under the wardrobe. We had to assume there was glycol under the shower as well. Lots and lots of glycol. This time we lost the radiant heat entirely….but somehow, someway, there was plenty of hot water.

Our unit is now in for repair and it appears as though it’s going to be quite the job. I spoke with Airstream. The conversation did not go so well. More disappointment. But I’m not here to go into that. I have two questions. First, are other Airstreamers struggling with their Alde systems even after the initial introduction period? And second, is anyone else having trouble with major leaks in their radiant heating system?

We really like our Airstream! We have many an adventure waiting on us and we are excited! Retirement is in sight! But this is really giving us a not-so-good feeling. Any thoughts on what the problem may be and how to proceed, who to talk to, etc., as well as insight into my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many thanks…

Bill and Beth Hooper
weRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:05 AM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hoping the Mods will move this to the Alde thread, under Classic 2016 to Present.

Hi weRivit. I see you are new to the forum so welcome, this is the right place to be for all things AS related. I have a 2017 Classic and the Alde. There is a whole sub thread that relates to all things Alde that you may want to take a look at.
I did have a similar leak in my 2017 Classic in March of this year. In the back storage compartment, the plywood wall on the upper left corner punched a hole into rubber elbow joint in the Adle line and I lost all the glycol, so it can happen. If I remember correctly there were a couple of others who have the twin bed model that had the same thing happen. I happened to be on my way to the factory for some work done when this happened, I took a ton of photos and sent them to JC. In my case, the puncture was caused by an obvious design flaw and I know that AS immediately made changes to correct the problem. I did not receive an once of push back from John or Artie and I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues with support.
I haven’t heard of any others having ruptured lines like you are describing in the Area that you had but it can happen. I can see how easy it would be to have construction debris, or hurried workers placing a screw in the wrong place, dropping wood screw could easily put a hole in the line.
When you had the first rupture, did they give you a hard time about repairs? I’m gonna take a guess and say there’s probably a few others that have had the same thing happen but just aren’t on the Forum.
When you get the repairs done we can help you get your system set up to have nice hot showers without having to wait an hour for a 5 minute shower but of course the leak has to be fixed first.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote