Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pocono Mountains , Pennsylvania
23FB No power to radio or to 12V socket

2009 23FB Flying Cloud

On a recent trip we noticed our radio no longer powered on. While trying to figure out what was going on I noticed the 12V outlet next to the radio didn't have power either.

I checked the fuse (and all fuses) at the control panel and even switched the radio fuse with others; it's fine. Test meter from the fuse to ground shows me 12+ volts so the circuit seems good, just like all the other circuits on the panel. That circuit is a thicker gray wire which heads out through a conduit under the belly of the trailer, and I can see it with a bunch of other wires under the dinette seat when it enters into the wall. Inside the cabinet housing the radio where the wires enter there are 2 gray wires one of which goes to the radio harness and one goes to the 12V socket. Neither have power.

Anyone know of a slick way to figure out what's happening here?

Also, I did find the additional fuse in the back of the radio under where the wiring harness plugs in and it's fine too.

All suggestions will be gratefully investigated.

Thanks!
scotttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sounds like a connector / wire nut has come loose. Track the wire through the bundle and figure out where it is.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is a possibility that the 12 volt outlet is toast. We lost the USB on our 2015 after using it to recharge a lithium power pack. Maybe?

Folks are replacing the 12volt/USB outlets with more expensive/better outlets. Seems to help. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There is a possibility that the 12 volt outlet is toast. We lost the USB on our 2015 after using it to recharge a lithium power pack. Maybe?

Folks are replacing the 12volt/USB outlets with more expensive/better outlets. Seems to help. Pat
Given that it's the 12v lighter outlet and the radio both without power...it's gotta be a connection failure further upstream somewhere, not the 12v outlet?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I had the same issue that I caused when the 12 v outlet became loose and I shorted out the power when I was messing with the wiring. The grey power wire to the 12v outlet had become unhooked and I must have touched it to something. On first pass, the fuses seemed to be ok but I eventually discovered that one was not functioning. I replaced it with a new 15amp fuse and all was good again. Only took me a day and a half to figure it out. [emoji849]
Old 07-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pocono Mountains , Pennsylvania
That's my thought exactly but the wires run through the walls of the trailer. The only places I can see them are under the dinette seat and at the fuse panel. My testing shows 12V at the fuse panel and everything seems to check out but I am at a loss as to how to test the wire other than where it goes into the radio wire harness or connects to the back of the 12V socket. Doesn't seem to be any power at either of those locations.
scotttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttho View Post
That's my thought exactly but the wires run through the walls of the trailer. The only places I can see them are under the dinette seat and at the fuse panel. My testing shows 12V at the fuse panel and everything seems to check out but I am at a loss as to how to test the wire other than where it goes into the radio wire harness or connects to the back of the 12V socket. Doesn't seem to be any power at either of those locations.
Hi

On mine, the wires run behind the fridge. Different model / different layout so not directly applicable. I very much doubt there are any connectors buried inside the wall.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v