Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
2018 Flying Cloud undercarriage

I just purchased a 2018 flying cloud and I was looking it over and I saw what looked like a dent in the shroud that covers the axles.

It looks like a dent (like someone backed into something with it), but it doesn't have any scuff marks and it's almost perfectly centered under the trailer.

Has anyone noticed something similar or is this a common/design feature?

It's viewed from the rear.

Thanks
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Pictures of undercarriage

Here are some pictures of the "dent." This also shows a lot of rust on the axle. This is a 2018 ... I haven't had it in my possession for 3 weeks. The rust is on the BACK side of the axle.

This just doesn't make sense to me. Before I ask the dealer, I'm seeking other opinions. I also intend to inspect other new travel trailers on the lot.

link to pictures: https://imgur.com/a/oV5sy
Old 04-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
2018 Flying Cloud undercarriage

Heya. Surface rust on the axle casing is normal - nothing to be worried about. I treat mine with rustolium once a year.

Now about that dent.... that is a cover for your holding tank. It’s not normal, someone hit something low while backing up / moving the trailer.

In the end it’s likely just cosmetic, assuming the plastic fresh / grey / black water tank that it encloses has not been cracked.

Have you filled your freshwater tank and then transferred water over to fill the grey / black tanks yet? If not that would be a good exercise to determine if the tank is leaking.

Looks pretty minor so you are probably ok - but best to test. If it’s not leaking I’d leave it alone - your dealer will likely cause more problems trying to replace it

These new trailers are very low slung with the tanks on the exterior - I’ve come within millimeters of bonking mine on my 30’ Low placement of the tanks makes for better handling, but not so much for ground clearance.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Heya. Surface rust on the axle casing is normal - nothing to be worried about. I treat mine with rustolium once a year.

Now about that dent.... that is a cover for your holding tank. It’s not normal, someone hit something low while backing up / moving the trailer.

In the end it’s likely just cosmetic, assuming the plastic fresh / grey / black water tank that it encloses has not been cracked.

Have you filled your freshwater tank and then transferred water over to fill the grey / black tanks yet? If not that would be a good exercise to determine if the tank is leaking.

Looks pretty minor so you are probably ok - but best to test. If it’s not leaking I’d leave it alone - your dealer will likely cause more problems trying to replace it

These new trailers are very low slung with the tanks on the exterior - I’ve come within millimeters of bonking mine on my 30’ Low placement of the tanks makes for better handling, but not so much for ground clearance.
Hello and thanks for your reply. My comments are not directed at you (just venting in general), but having just paid premium dollar, literally days ago, I'm not satisfied with dents and rust. If it were a 2-day old Corvette with the oil pan dented and a rusty frame, would it be acceptable? Because that's the price-range and premium brand expectations I have with Airstream.

I've thought about getting under the trailer with a can of spray paint... but I just bought the thing. After 1-2 seasons and a few thousand miles, yes. But it's brand new.

Unfortunately I'll need to see what the dealer says about it. This entire experience has been quite terrible.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCloud View Post
Hello and thanks for your reply. My comments are not directed at you (just venting in general), but having just paid premium dollar, literally days ago, I'm not satisfied with dents and rust. If it were a 2-day old Corvette with the oil pan dented and a rusty frame, would it be acceptable? Because that's the price-range and premium brand expectations I have with Airstream.

I've thought about getting under the trailer with a can of spray paint... but I just bought the thing. After 1-2 seasons and a few thousand miles, yes. But it's brand new.

Unfortunately I'll need to see what the dealer says about it. This entire experience has been quite terrible.
I just took possession of our 2018 30' FC and I had some of the same feelings when I saw rust...

Now, having said that, I took it in stride since it has become very apparent to me that even though you pay 'top' dollar for AS, they are still a TT. I've owned boats in the past and I guess that is a good primer for TT.

I'm not hapless, but I'm not a Mr. Fixit guy either. Typically it is cheaper for me to pay someone than to do it myself!! LOL

The reality is, one must become proficient regarding maintenance on both boats and AS. You never know where you will be when something goes wrong and you may be forced to take care of it yourself.

I went into this with my eyes open and expect a certain number of disappointments - even though AS is the best of the worst. :-)

I wish you much success in your future travels!!
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I’m guessing that your trailer was delivered over the winter while the roads up north were still salty. The paint should’ve held up better against it, but it’s not the best paint job on the frame. Call the dealer, and see what they say.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I totally understand your irritation with finding this damage on your spanking new trailer, especially since I will be picking up my new one in early May. I will definitely be on my back checking the underside when I pick it up.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Likely done in transit ... tell the dealer that they missed it in pre-delivery ... unless you can easily get under there with a rattle can.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Well, I thought I was the only one who had the mystery of a dented underbelly! I just noticed it looks like someone backed up into a rock or something, and I am sure it was not me...but I never looked under the belly till few weeks ago. Been driving me nutz....we couldn't figure how it happened, but I know I did not hit anything.

To complicate things, I also have my right rear GYM tire worn down to the tread line on the out side with 13K miles, while the other 3 tires are fine. I have noticed a slight "pull" to the left when I start to hit the brakes...I am thinking the brake on that wheel is the issue after talking with several AS folks and owners...I have been told out of balance, or camber is out, but now wondering if there could be a bent axel as a result of the dent on the pan. I am going to replace all GYM's with Michelins soon and install the Ford TPMS on all 4 tires. I will check the brakes, but if they are working, I will need to go to a specialty house to check the frame alignment next....sure is driving me nutz.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I totally understand your irritation with finding this damage on your spanking new trailer, especially since I will be picking up my new one in early May. I will definitely be on my back checking the underside when I pick it up.
Without a doubt, look the entire thing over, and compare it to others on the lot.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Quick update: I spoke with the service manager at the dealer and emailed the same link (as above) to the pictures. He agrees with me that the dent looks like it was set on something and not necessarily backed into something. He said the Airstreams are delivered to the dealership via flatbed trailer, so that somewhat rules out road-wear as it pertains to the rusty chassis. If they're delivered on a flatbed, I'd also suspect something happened when the unit was hoisted off the trailer.

I'm sure there will be more to follow.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Quick update: I spoke with the service manager at the dealer and emailed the same link (as above) to the pictures. He agrees with me that the dent looks like it was set on something and not necessarily backed into something. He said the Airstreams are delivered to the dealership via flatbed trailer, so that somewhat rules out road-wear as it pertains to the rusty chassis. If they're delivered on a flatbed, I'd also suspect something happened when the unit was hoisted off the trailer.

I'm sure there will be more to follow.
Good morning LuckyCloud,

Not all Airstreams are delivered on a flat bed. During last year's trip to the west, we were passed on an Interstate in South Dakota by a truck with a flatbed carrying two smaller Airstreams and towing a larger one behind. The driver passed us doing about 80 mph. During our trips to Jackson Center, I have observed on many occasions, delivery companies towing new trailers (not on a flatbed) from the plant to the dealers. If in doubt, please contact Airstream. I'm sure they'll confirm this (probably not the 80 mph part).

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory delivery folks also drove 80+ mph when the Airstreams had the GYM tires (sidewall rated 65mph) as standard. Look closely at the tow vehicle and one sees spare tires and wheels on the tow vehicle.

Our 2015 23D International Serenity arrived at the selling dealership on the East coast along with a 2015 23D International Signature on a flat bed trailer. They can put several 16's and 19's on a trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Quick update. I brought the trailer back to the dealership late last week. Their service manager is good with customer service and appeared to be as helpful as possible. Their service tech is great as well.

I am a little baffled on how it appears AS will warranty a rusty chassis that's days old... why not change how the unit is delivered. Presumably AS is going to "warranty repair" and prep & paint the axles and undercarriage. The time it takes to do this is significant and AS is putting this on the dealership and new owner. I looked around the lot at the other TT's and they're all rusty. It just does not make sense that a premium brand would be like this.

So here I am, 3 weeks into AS ownership and without my TT for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Quick update. I brought the trailer back to the dealership late last week. Their service manager is good with customer service and appeared to be as helpful as possible. Their service tech is great as well.

I am a little baffled on how it appears AS will warranty a rusty chassis that's days old... why not change how the unit is delivered. Presumably AS is going to "warranty repair" and prep & paint the axles and undercarriage. The time it takes to do this is significant and AS is putting this on the dealership and new owner. I looked around the lot at the other TT's and they're all rusty. It just does not make sense that a premium brand would be like this.

So here I am, 3 weeks into AS ownership and without my TT for the foreseeable future.
The frame should be primed before painted, not just painted. I can see red oxide primer on my Avion frame where the black paint has been chipped.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Cross Junction , Virginia
I empathize with you. I purchased a 2018 33FB and have had it less than three months and one trip other than taking it to the factory for a heat problem. Now the roof leaks and I just got off the phone an hour or so ago and AS response is that it will dry out because they use special insulation. When I asked how it was going to dry out in an enclosed area Mr. McNeeley said he did not feel he had to answer that. Some response. This is the major problem along with many other issues. Is there anyone else that is having problems with new airstreams?
RVforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVforfun View Post
I empathize with you. I purchased a 2018 33FB and have had it less than three months and one trip other than taking it to the factory for a heat problem. Now the roof leaks and I just got off the phone an hour or so ago and AS response is that it will dry out because they use special insulation. When I asked how it was going to dry out in an enclosed area Mr. McNeeley said he did not feel he had to answer that. Some response. This is the major problem along with many other issues. Is there anyone else that is having problems with new airstreams?

Yes I purchased a 2018 23 Flying cloud and the first hard rain (5” within 12 hours downpour) a leak by the dinette revealed itself. Needless to write I was devastated. Returned it to AS headquarters where it spent all morning under a watershed, without a single leak! I have since learned that no AS is leak proof and these things happen more than most know. The most reassuring part was that it’s documented and my AS will remain under warranty for as long as I own the trailer specific to this problem.

On the plus side while I was there in Ohio I had them install an extension counter, which I love.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Joannadannna

Thank you very much for your response. While I don’t feel that when the interior walls get wet because of a leaking roof I don't see how it is going to dry out since it is enclosed. I really don’t think a new unit should leak on the first rain. Good point about the extended warranty though.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
I can tell that when we noticed the puddle on the dinette seat that we could trace water from an inside seam. To combat any worries I ran a room size dehumidifier for a week. Dried it up without issue. I currently use a smaller plugin dehumidifier that works great while it’s under port.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
The day after the rain all the interior windows were wet. I appreciate your solution but should I have to run a dehumidifier because of a water leak in the roof on a new unit? That is why I purchased new over used Airstream if you get my drift.