Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lewisville , Texas
..2017 international...HELP

Batteries drain after only a couple of weeks in stoarage.
garopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Could be as simple as something left on you didn't catch. I was testing my water system a few years ago, left the pump on and ran the batteries down. Also had a 1996 Thor product (no AS) that kept discharging the battery in a week or so since it was new. Dealer couldn't figure out. I figured it out when I could get 12 volts when touching the frame with A voltmeter. A wire was apparently pinched between the frame and body. Never could fix it, but lived with it until my ex got it in our divorce, lol... Hope this helps...
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As asked in another thread:

Was the battery disconnect switched to disconnect the batteries when in storage?

Were they fully charged when the AS went into storage?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I have a 2017 as well and there is a solid draw on the batteries even when the battery is disconnected via the interior switch. The culprits are the propane detector and the inverter which is always in standby mode waiting for you to press the "on" button. These 2 items bypass the battery disconnect switch and have a steady draw of close to 0.4amps (thereabouts) combined. 0.4 amps x 24 hours x 14 days = 134.4 amp hours = two completely dead flat group 24 interstate batteries.

When you store your trailer (just dropped mine off tonight) it's essential that you manually disconnect both negative leads on the batteries. One is an automotive clamp (main 12v supply to the trailer) and the other is a ring terminal on the other battery terminal (feeds the inverter).

Remove these to completely isolate the batteries and eliminate draw while in storage. You must remove both.

Next week I'm installing a marine grade battery disconnect switch in the battery box and that will avoid having to physically remove wires to properly disconnect the batteries every time.

Here is the one I have installed on my other airstream.... I can choose inverter, inverter+main 12v, main 12v or all off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1111.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	287819  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Pretty much every RV out there has the propane detector hard wired past the battery switching. There is a *lot* of variation in terms of what else may (or may not) be hanging directly on the battery as well.

An alternative to the disconnect drill is to put some sort of trickle charger on the trailer when it's in storage. Obviously, this has it's issues. You need power to the trailer. You also don't want to overdo the charge process.

Disconnected, batteries self discharge. That's not good for them either. There is no simple / perfect solution to any of this.

Bob
Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

While it's true that a completely disconnected battery will self discharge… A high-quality AGM only discharges 1 to 3% per month. A crappy interstate shelf discharges about 5% per month.

You can easily let an interstate battery sit disconnected for 2 to 3 months without any charge and it won't significantly damage the battery as compared to a complete discharge via a phantom low amperage draw.

I agree that a trickle charger is ideal. On my 25 foot I have solar and a Victron four stage programmable MPPT charge controller. It keeps the batteries healthy. AGM batteries like to rest in a fully charged state.

Even with solar however I still disconnect the main trailer from the batteries but let the solar charger stay connected.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Self discharge depends a lot on temperature and how "clean" your batteries are inside. Tired old batteries in a hot shed .... not a good combo. Brand new batteries sitting down in the basement, not much of an issue. Regularly top off the electrolyte with the well water ... not good.

Bob
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I have a 2017 as well and there is a solid draw on the batteries even when the battery is disconnected via the interior switch. The culprits are the propane detector and the inverter which is always in standby mode waiting for you to press the "on" button. These 2 items bypass the battery disconnect switch and have a steady draw of close to 0.4amps (thereabouts) combined. 0.4 amps x 24 hours x 14 days = 134.4 amp hours = two completely dead flat group 24 interstate batteries.

When you store your trailer (just dropped mine off tonight) it's essential that you manually disconnect both negative leads on the batteries. One is an automotive clamp (main 12v supply to the trailer) and the other is a ring terminal on the other battery terminal (feeds the inverter).

Remove these to completely isolate the batteries and eliminate draw while in storage. You must remove both.

Next week I'm installing a marine grade battery disconnect switch in the battery box and that will avoid having to physically remove wires to properly disconnect the batteries every time.

Here is the one I have installed on my other airstream.... I can choose inverter, inverter+main 12v, main 12v or all off.
Done and Done...what a great fix...thanks all!
garopro is offline   Reply With Quote