Old 01-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
SeaLevel, I was recurring to production, manufacturing products & moving them out is where the money is. If you produce 100 bags of jelly beans a week you make more money than producing 70. RV manufactures are no different, Thor is a big company driven by dollars. Don't get me wrong I don't think it's right, it's just the way it is and I like you wish the emphasis was on quality not quantity but it's not and that's why we're discussing this issue.

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I have suggested going to Jackson Center for repairs to get the best possible outcome in a day or two, if you can work it into your travel plans. Also, take your Tiffin motorhome to Alabama for the same reason.

When your car breaks down, the factory will have nothing to do with you, you're at the mercy of the dealer and out of luck if they don't know what they are doing.
Franchise laws determine how the dealerships and factories work with customer issues on cars and trucks. Too, there are factory reps that work with dealerships to expidite problem solving for retail customers. The elephant in the room (or on the forum) continues to be the AS cheerleaders that defend poor QC and think that an AS owner can drop everything and head to Jackson Center to correct problems on a premium priced trailer that should have been right when it rolled off the assembly line the first time.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Reading this thread and previous ones like it lead me to think of the Airstream community, including the manufacturer, dealers, and owners, as a cult. When unbiased people who are often new to the community, provide convincing evidence of serious quality and/or safety issues that is detailed, consistent, and usually undisputed, there is an outpouring of lame excuses. Things like the following: nothing is perfect, the AS is subjected to unusual forces of highway driving, and all rv's have problems. Though there is an element of truth to the comments, we would not accept similar excuses for failed airplanes, dental prostheses, high def televisions, or computers.

My list could go on quite a bit more, but this is more than most "true believers" want to hear. Market forces are the only remedy. And getting past the denial stage is necessary before Thor will take truly effective steps to address quality issues. Meanwhile, the AS hobbyists and cultists will continue to abet this denial. Clearly. Quite a few folks really do like working on Airstreams, but most purchasers probably want to spend more time exploring our fantastic continent than repairing a poorly designed or installed system.
The cultists here will likely label my comments unfavorably. But I think AS has a tremendous heritage and a great future IF the leaders can step up and listen to their customer and follow through with appropriate action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
...The elephant in the room (or on the forum) continues to be the AS cheerleaders that defend poor QC and think that an AS owner can drop everything and head to Jackson Center to correct problems on a premium priced trailer that should have been right when it rolled off the assembly line the first time.
Thank you for your posts.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
The industry is driven on demand not quality.
Sadly concur. As long as the demand remains high there is much more incentive to turn out units as fast as possible, rather than spend a little more time to do the job right. It is obvious from the frequent reports on this forum that AS has not heard the saying, "If you don't have time to do it, you don't have time to redo it." Hopefully the day will never come that the goodwill of AS customers is so abused that these wonderful icons become just another SOB.

Please don't get me wrong. I am very much looking forward to owning a new AS later this year, but I am going into it with my eyes wide open and copious notes from all the wonderful forum members who have shared their experiences.

Safe travels to all!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:38 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Princeton , British Columbia
Sadly our first 2013 23' International was a lemon. the trailer leaked from all the windows, the fresh water tank was contaminated likely with anti freeze the dealer must of done so we could not use it. Glue was pouring down the screens, antenna handle fell apart, kitchen tap fell off, trim was comimg apart, floor was stained and dented, toilet leaked, awning broken, and so on. Parts on out side discoloured on metal around lights and handles We traded up to 2013 25' International and again, our ceiling is leaking, and windows leak, a tire blow out we had to replace damaged the underside and we have to replace a second tire, furnance problems, fridge light falling apart, stove grills rough with groves, blinds fraying (bedroom blind replaced by dealer with a larger blind that they made new holes to accommodate the larger blinds and installed crooked and of course new blind is fraying because they don't fit between openning knobs, glue again dripping on blinds, door did not lock or close properly, had it fixed twice and still a problem, towel racks falling off because of stripped screws, rusted screws, pantry door warping, cupboard doors not latching, batteries dead in a few hours had to be replaced, inverter faulty had to be replaced. Bed hinge bracket came apart, hot and cold water reversed. One upper pleated blinds was very crooked and we waited almost two years to get a new one as the ones order where always wrong. Then when they finally installed a replacement it was a wider pleat, even more crooked then the original and a different colour. Thats just off the top of my head. Although we have had the dealer fix most of these problems under warranty it's been a huge disappointment and very inconvienent because we live about 6 hours away.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A couple of years down the road is when you will find out if all the plumbing fixtures were crimped or torqued properly after thousands of miles of being in a minor earthquake inside the trailer as it rolls down the road.

We are still finding tidbits of aluminum from drilling holes and screws cutting threads during the build process creeping out from under the cabinets. or dropping from the roof lockers.

A local chap with a 2015 LandYacht had the complete rear cabinetry fall of the wall. Airstream picked up the trailer and took it back to the factory. It took three months for a complete new interior kit to be built in Italy and almost the same amount of time to install it. Then the factory returned the unit to the owner.

For starters, a screw somewhere has now shorted the signal cable to the bedroom television and the heater duct work was not attached to the furnace. So even a complete rebuild on their most expensive model was not perfect.

This model had the interior done in the three left bays of seven (the right bay had the scales every trailer must cross over when finished) across the way from the exit door of final assembly (before the new addition of the plant floor space) by the same three man crew, truly a non-assembly line interior.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Many owners also use the excellent service facility at Jackson Center for routine maintenance, inspections such as Seal-Tech leak tests, bearing maintenance, inspect and replace sealants as needed, after warranty repairs. If they can fit it into their travel plans.

As many of us know, dealer service can be unreliable. We plan a trip through Ohio (Cheryl's home state) this spring or fall to visit relatives and will route through Jackson Center to have them do the routine maintenance and give our Airstream a good inspection.

Our Airstream continues to serve us very well, I believe ongoing inspections and maintenance will keep it that way. Get the problems sorted out and take good care of it. I hope you will be able to enjoy Airstream travel as much as most folks do.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
I bought a new 2014 Bambi 16 from a dealer in Wisconsin. I ended up quite surprised and disapointed by what I felt was poor workmanship and quality control on the trailer. Had a least 20 examples of shoddy work. Some of these things were so obvious that I could only conclude that the workman didn't really give a darn, and quality control had blinders on and the dealer wasn't any better. To make matters worse the dealer tech was a real jerk, didn't fix half of the stuff and just made excuses. The factory seemed to care less. Am I happy with the trailer these days, yes. Mostly because I'm a handy guy and could make these things right on my own. What I like about airstream and still do was the design and layout, I did expect better execution and think that they are overpriced considering the poor workmanship. I'm sure the factory is busy and all but a concientious worked would have noticed that the rivets he put in a underbody panel didn't connect or were overtightened and if he didn't he sure would have noticed the next 3 that he didn't put in properly. There just isn't a excuse for this. For me I may buy another airstream but it will be used and sorted out by the time I get it. As for the dealer, the salesman was a good guy but I won't be going back as long as their current tech guy is there. You shouldn't have to go to the factory to get decent service!!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
jtwind, I completely agree you shouldn't have to go to the factory to get decent service. If the local techs don't know good work, how can you ever get it out of them.

That's the reality so we go to the factory, a one or two day stop on our travels every few years and all is well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
How I wish someone in Jackson Center would look at these threads-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
In lieu of this, maybe this team will take a look but I doubt it. The buck should stop here though...

Thor Industries - Corporate Governance - Management Team
Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
jtwind, I completely agree you shouldn't have to go to the factory to get decent service. If the local techs don't know good work, how can you ever get it out of them.

That's the reality so we go to the factory, a one or two day stop on our travels every few years and all is well.
Unfortunately, some of us have not had great service work at Jackson Center. It is pretty disappointing after driving several thousand miles to do the trip. We had three major issues and many minor ones to be addressed at the factory. Of the 3 major items, 2 did not get properly resolved including electrical problems and improperly installed Seelevel system.

I know most have been pleased with service there but it is not across the board. In hindsight, I wish we would have taken our unit back to the selling dealer in the midwest for final warranty issues. The service provided by them on the numerous warranty issues in the first year was vastly superior to Jackson Center.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by markblain57 View Post
Medjrd, Everyone,
My wife and I are planning on retiring in a year or so and have decided we would buy a new Classic. We have even ordered one and expect delivery in late March or early April. I did some research prior to ordering but didn't find any QC issues until afterwards. I will compile all the QC issues I can and have this with us when we do the initial inspection. I don't know how I will react if there are blatant QC issues, what do you recommend Medjrd?
Thanks
My recommendation for anyone buying a new Airstream would be to have the selling dealer do a Sealtech leak test as part of the delivery process. At least of some piece of mind that your new unit is basically water tight when you first use it. The factory water test is not adequate since fittings such as the awnings are put on after the leak test. Also, the door and access hatches are preassembled before the leak test so small leaks do not show up, the water will just go into the insulation during the brief shower. We had leaks at both the entrance door with no sealant at the bottom of the handle and the rear hatch around the latches.

I would put it in the purchase agreement but since you have already have a contract on your new unit I would still pay for it out of pocket. Lastly, with the water issues with Airstreams I would not purchase from a dealer that did not have a Sealtech or similar way to pressurize and water test a trailer. I'm still stunned that none of the dealers in the Pacific NW have a Sealtech machine. I thought it rained in that part of the country.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We've had zero issues with our 2014 International 23D.

Oh I take that back....the little blue indicator light on the exterior electrical port went out after 6 months. Same thing happened on our 2013 19.

Airstream expanded it's assembly force in 2015 and 2015 to meet increased domestic and international demand. So lots of new people on the assembly line. They are most likely in a learn-by-doing mode.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The posts above have reinforced my decision to use a third party for modifications, repairs and service. They have a vested interest in doing it correctly the first time.

I have had my trailer returned so dirty it took several days for me to scrub the grease off the floor that was clean when the unit was brought to the dealer.

I suggest taking the trailer for an immediate check to see if there is actually the proper amount grease in the wheel bearings. Our 23D was trucked to Colonial. I towed it to CanAm and then onto Paradise, TX or just under 2,000 miles. I had them check the wheel bearings while we were doing the modifications.

We had to repack three of the wheel bearing sets and REPLACE the fourth set scored from lack of grease. Even Dexter could not do their assembly job correctly.

Makes one wonder about all those gas appliance assembly processes. Would be a smart thing to verify the tightness of all the propane fittings early on or at least use a sensitive leak detector.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote