Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
2016 flying cloud 30 ft trailer does not have any refrigerator fan

Hello, I just noticed my new 30 ft flying cloud does not have a refrigerator fan. My 25 ft did is this normal? Thanks
4t9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my 2005 Safari doesn't have a refrigerator fan and has never been a problem in eleven years of use. Cool air comes in the vented door and travels up and out through the roof vent.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t9ers View Post
Hello, I just noticed my new 30 ft flying cloud does not have a refrigerator fan. My 25 ft did is this normal? Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

When you open up the exterior door(s) at the fridge, you should be able to see a flue going up, which then goes through the roof and is capped by a streamlined cover to let the exhaust gases out, as Bob just said. Maybe your 25' probably did not have such a flue through the roof?

Our old 25' had this, but the new FC20 does not have a flue, so we have the fan for cooling. The old system is much better IMO, but it does not fit in all models and lengths.

Also it costs more . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
My 2016 FC 30' does not have a fridge fan I'm aware of.

Coincidentally, fridge performance for ours has been poor. On '5' (coldest), it struggles to maintain 40F, at outside temps from 70 to 95. We've had our cooling unit replaced in it under warranty, checked the door seals, repositioned the thermistor, gotten a Camco 2D call fridge fan etc. Yet for us, it's not working that great.

Also: no fan in our previous 2016 FC 27' either, I believe.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our FC 25 FB has an upper and lower side vent with a cooling fan to come on if the compartment gets too hot. I like the idea once we replaced the noisy original fan with a quiet one, fridge has worked nicely for over 1,000 nights camping. It allows us to have a convenient convection/microwave oven over the fridge.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks for the replys. Would it be worth adding one?
4t9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t9ers View Post
Thanks for the replys. Would it be worth adding one?
Only if yours has a problem keeping its cool.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The louvers in the side vent door do not permit enough air flow when things get hot. We prop open ours for more air flow in hot weather and the fan quits running.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
2016 AS Refrigerator fan

My 28 ft rear bed 2015 Flying Cloud did not have a fan. Check the refrigerator section of your manual. My manual said there should be an automatic fan to cool the refrigerator coils. I stopped at Jackson Center and they installed a fan free of charge. The refrigerator still didn't work properly in 90 degree weather. I took it to a Dometic approved repair facility and they determined the unit had a bad electronic board. The also discovered that Jackson Center installed the fan backwards. It was trying to force air against the natural heat flow.

I was charged $135.00 by the repair facility for discovering the fan was installed backwards and reversing it. Dometic covered the cost of the electronic board repaid under warranty.

The refrigerator still didn't work well. I demanded a new refrigerator and Dometic replaced the entire cooling mechanism. Now it seems to work OK.
Tom Turlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
What you have is normal. The smaller Airstreams do not have space for a natural air circulation removal of heat from the fridge back, which can be a lot of heat.
The bigger(27,28 ' and up have a natural vent where the heat rises outside through the roof.

The fans in the smaller units are a pain. They are loud and run constantly. I could not sleep when my 25' AS fridge fan was running. I actually put in an on/off switch to shut the fan off at night. My fan also failed and without it the fridge does not cool. I found a German fan which I bought 2 of and installed one in my old AS. The German fan is dead quiet and will run for 20 years per there test data. I traded my 25' AS for 28' FC and do have an extra fan so if anyone wants to buy it contact me.
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My 2013 Classic 30 doesn't have a refrigerator fan, but it does have a big vent grill on the outside of the trailer and a roof vent.
I wonder if the smaller trailers with a fan don't have these vents or the vents aren't as big.
Also, there is a tremendous amount of space behind the refrigerator.
I have often wondered why this space has to be so large.
It would be great to be able to use the space for walk around room or storage.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Collins , Colorado
Interested in replacement fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsmen 33 View Post
What you have is normal. The smaller Airstreams do not have space for a natural air circulation removal of heat from the fridge back, which can be a lot of heat.
The bigger(27,28 ' and up have a natural vent where the heat rises outside through the roof.

The fans in the smaller units are a pain. They are loud and run constantly. I could not sleep when my 25' AS fridge fan was running. I actually put in an on/off switch to shut the fan off at night. My fan also failed and without it the fridge does not cool. I found a German fan which I bought 2 of and installed one in my old AS. The German fan is dead quiet and will run for 20 years per there test data. I traded my 25' AS for 28' FC and do have an extra fan so if anyone wants to buy it contact me.
Interested in replacement fan.
FortRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks for the fan discussion.

I wonder if Dometic / Airstream is having issues with warm fridges now in the newer units.

For example, we got a new cooling unit, free of charge, on our used 2016 FC. Technically, as the second owner, we weren't covered by the warranty, but they did it anyway.

Anyway, question: if I just put a small utility fan in the outside fridge compartment as an experiment to get better cooling, would it help?

I'll certainly have a look at the vents on the roof, I wonder if there is some issue with mine as being the reason my fridge is not cooling well.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote