Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
A couple of years ago we attended a wedding held at a white-water rafting resort; the resort also had a campground and we were told that there were full hookups with 30-amp electric. We went there from a municipal campground we were staying at and our new Dometic a/c was working fine. At the white water resort, when I switch on the a/c nothing happened. Since I have a Xantrex Freedom 3012 inverter/charger which has a very useful remote control panel, I saw that the line voltage dropped from 110-volts to 80-volts for an instant and then went back to 110-volts. The resort’s distribution was clearly inadequate, and the safety to prevent the a/c motor from burnout due to low voltage had kicked in.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I have found one campground in the summer get as low as 106v. Some boxes have worn out breakers and recepticals. I run my water heater twice a day, as soon as I get up in the morning and prior to normal evening use. I see no need for running it continuously. Guest will normally get confused on the switch logic in the bathroom & will turn on the water heater while looking for the light switch. The electric water heat, AC & microwave together will challenge the box and unit at 30w.

From my Pecan Tree
PecanMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' International
Rittman , Ohio
On our shakedown cruise with our 2015 International Serenity 25FB, we encountered temps in the 40s. The state park offered 30A service, which we used. The electric water heater and the heat pump (air conditioner reversed), the stove hood, the interior lights and the TV were running. When we fired up the microwave, we blew the main breaker in the AS (we use a surge protector for the unit to avoid electrical issues - and it switches us off if there's low V supply). I started calculating... 800 W microwave (say 7A), water heater (20A breaker - maybe 13A), the lights (OK, LEDs - maybe 1A), the TV and sound system (maybe 8A total) and the stove hood (say 2A). In total 31A. It's not a house. There's a 30A main breaker feeding five 20A breakers. Those numbers may be slightly off, but something's got to give. It was a lesson to us in energy management. We now turn off the heat pump/air conditioner if we're going to run the microwave or use a hair dryer. We probably should learn to turn off the electric water heater when we're not using it - but why? We've learned a lot and really come to appreciate what AS has done in the design of our unit.

Nice thing about the surge protector (aside from the protection it offers) - it displays your current draw.

Rabid54 is offline   Reply With Quote