Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
2016 Classic with shades of lemon

I just posted this as a response to someone; but, then thought it be it's own thread. Forgive me if you saw this in another thread.

I too just got a 2016 Classic, about 2 weeks ago. The door latch fell off while still at the dealer's - they had drilled several times in the same place and the hole was too big. They also didn't have a 2nd set of keys, they said they'd order them. When I got it to the campground, about 30 miles away, I saw that the lights over the couch were on and couldn't find a switch to turn them off. 'Called the dealer, they didn't know. 'Called Airstream customer service the following morning and left a message. Called back several hours later and was told they had received the message, had to "research it" and would call me back. They never did, so I called the service department on Monday (my original pickup was on a Thursday) and they acknowledged that the switch labeled "not in use" was the one that should have been wired to the lights. They said they didn't have any appointment openings until October and I said I didn't want to have the lights on continually till then, so the said they could "squeeze" me in for an hour, no more, next week.

Multiple other problems: the connection where the dealer installed the under the sink filter was spritzing water and I didn't notice it until the awning got stuck part way out and had to look under the sink for a circuit board (that I never found). I can't hardly express how PO'd I am about sustaining water damage in a brand new $120,000+ trailer. I'm very careful with my stuff and I don't know what's under there or just how much damage was done. Water was dripping out from underneath as the leak had been going on for a week. Again, there were more phone calls - this time to the awning folks, and finally I was able to get it back in so at least it can travel.

There are also latches that don't latch right because the weren't aligned correctly so they don't close. It's missing the metal loop that the window shade is supposed to hook on in the kitchen, and a cabinet light that doesn't turn off when the door is closed.....and I haven't even had time to go through all the systems yet due to my work schedule.

I just thought I would be getting a superior product as per Airstream's stellar reputation; but, alas, it doesn't seem so. No doubt, I love it's well thought out design and am very happy with what it has to offer, I just expected better attention to detail, better workmanship, better quality control and certainly that it would not have a leak at delivery.

I should send this to some high mucky muck in the company, but who?

Thanks for letting me vent.
Amaranto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Push hard on the dealer, service dept. and lastly the factory. I had issues with my 2015 flying cloud and all were resolved through the dealer. The dealer is your best shot, be civil to them. You are frustrated, but don't piss off the dealer, they can help you.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
That's a horror story! Being retired & having the time, I would take it to Jackson Center, Ohio for factory repairs. The Classic is supposed to be top of the line not top of the frustration line. Good luck getting it right.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I remember feeling the way you do now.
Please be patient and persistent.
Dave Schuman is no longer there (retired), and I don't know who is in his position.
Please call/email Chris Burch and Randy McNeeley.
I will look for their email addresses, but I think the email addresses are simply cburch@airstream.com or c.burch (birch?) @airstream.com.
I know Jackson Center is a long way from Texas, but from Mississippi it made more sense to go to Jackson Center.
The people there bent over backwards to solve 50-60+ issues with my trailer and make me happy.
Before I made it to Jackson Center, they shipped me everything I needed for DIY repairs. I can't say enough good about the service center- wish production was that good.
After all is repaired, you will enjoy your trailer for many years and this will be a memory.
Hang in there, Guy.
Best of luck to you.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does not look like all the expansion and claimed additional training has effected their lack of assembly quality control. Fortunetly their factory service center is staffed with top notch techs that do a great job fixing the junk pushed out by the factory.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Not at my Classic but maybe can answer your questions.

1. Lights over the couch are push on/off pucks. There is no master switch other than turning off all 12V power with Store switch that is next to the door.

2. You may have found it but the circuit board for the awning is on the curbside wall behind the cabinet with the sink. Take out the garbage bucket and you can see two plastic housings on the wall with blinking lights.

3. Kitchen shade has a bottom round bar. That hooks on a hook at the bottom of the window on either side. It is different than the one in the bathroom that has a plastic hook that is used in the middle of the bottom bar.

4. Second set of keys are standard with the trailer.

5. Sounds like your dealer did a poor POI and really didn't spend any time doing the delivery walk through with you.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Contact these guys. They can help you.
Chris Burch - cburch@airstream.com
Randy McNeeley - rmcneeley@airstream.com
Dan Snider - dsnider@airstream.com
Keep calling till someone calls you back.
In my personal situation, it was now retired Dave Schuman who called me back and helped me resolve all issues.
I can't say enough good about the factory service center.
I had a list of 60+ "punch list" items that were all corrected to better than new and they insured my 110% satisfaction.
Remember, I was once standing where you are. It is a memory now.
On another note, none of the things wrong with the trailer kept us from camping every week.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
The quality control exercised by Airstream dealers range from great (Colonial Airstream) to really poor.

Unfortunately from reading this forum on a daily basis, it would seem most dealers do little to nothing from the time they receive the new consignment to the time the buyer shows up (even if it's a build to order.

While I've been to Jackson Center, nothing was really mentioned regarding the QC at the manufacturer level, so I assume it's a function of manpower vs. output (which at this point in time doesn't work to the benefit of the new buyers of AS).

As the some of the previous posters mention, you should ride herd (big time) on the dealer; he's locked into a relationship with Airstream to perform.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
In '07 & '08 we were seriously looking for a new Airstream and visited 5 different dealers throughout the US looking through new units they had open for display over the 2 years. At every dealer we found units that had numerous easily spotted problems. We were shocked and dismayed. We walked away from our dream of owning a new Airstream and haven't considered one since. To spend the money you spent and then be told you have to ride heard on the dealer or drive to the factory to have things corrected that should have never occurred in the first place, or someone else having 60+ items needing correcting has just reinforced our decision. Your story makes me sick to my stomach for you. Good Luck.
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I don't know which dealer you purchased from, but it seems to me that choice of dealer is VIP. I think some have very recently jumped on the Airstream bandwagon and know nothing/ care nothing about the product. When a salesman we talked to at a Texas dealership knew far less about Airstreams than we did, it was an indication that we should move on. And after reading the Forums for a awhile we began to see that reputations of dealers vary widely. It is too bad that Airstream doesn't choose the dealers better or train/monitor them better, and also too bad that the product leaves the factory with all these problems. When you purchase a new luxury car these days, you don't have these kinds of issues. The car companies are rated on how many problems a new car has and dealers strive to have 100% satisfaction from their customers. The same should be true for these expensive trailers.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Very unfortunate and I too have had a plethora of issues with my 25' 2016 FC. I took delivery in June this year and traveled 5,000 miles out West. Upon returning I had collected a list of 17 legitimate warranty items. Yes, a couple were minor I could have fixed on my own but far too many were significant. Examples: air conditioner not pulling enough amps (very hot in here), heater squirrel cage fan came disconnected ( not operable), door jams shut after pulling and can't open door, water leak under sink, water pump not operating correctly, awning strip LED light never worked, over head door hinges bent, two window screens coming undone on their own, the screen door had a one inch gap at top, screen door hinge came off and many more quality issues. Some were AS quality issues but many were the OEM supplied things that should have been tested by QA at the factory. My previous AS I had for 20 years, never had a warranty issue.

When I ordered the 2016 I added the options of solar, removal of microwave from above the refrigerator ( install cabinet doors), remove oven and replace with micro-convection. It came with none of this, and I paid for it too. AS was to call me and apologize, they never did.

Luckily I have a fantastic dealer, Woodland Travel Center (oldest AS dealer in the U.S.) in Grand Rapids, MI. They have resolved all the issues plus did a custom solar install (twice the wattage) and did a masterful job of cabinet work and appliance swaps. And for far less money I had paid AS for it.

I think we are caught up with AS being very back logged in their orders and added to that building out their plant ,things have gotten a little out of control.

Hopefully we are the odd ones out and they will get their stuff together again

Wasn't going to vent, but now I feel better :-)

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I would think that Airstream executives should definitely schedule a visit to a Toyota factory (Tacoma and Tundra are manufactured in Texas if I'm not mistaken) to see how some of the most reliable machinery on the face of this earth is being manufactured. It will definitely give them ideas on how to improve the manufacturing quality control.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I agree. They could also go to the Avalon/Lexus plant in Georgetown, KY.
I was appalled at all the junk, clutter, and lack of organization when I took a plant tour at Jackson Center last September.
I need to bring them boys to Mississippi to show 'em how to straighten/out/arrange a shop/warehouse/manufacturing facility.
There are too many people working on/in a trailer at any one time. They are all on top of one another- in one another's way. That environment is obviously not conducive to quality control.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattydoug View Post
In '07 & '08 we were seriously looking for a new Airstream and visited 5 different dealers throughout the US looking through new units they had open for display over the 2 years. At every dealer we found units that had numerous easily spotted problems. We were shocked and dismayed. We walked away from our dream of owning a new Airstream and haven't considered one since. To spend the money you spent and then be told you have to ride heard on the dealer or drive to the factory to have things corrected that should have never occurred in the first place, or someone else having 60+ items needing correcting has just reinforced our decision. Your story makes me sick to my stomach for you. Good Luck.
At the dealership where I purchased my trailer, all the units of all makes and price points had obvious visible damage. I commented to the sales staff that the units should be locked up until all repairs are made. It isn't good for business for shoppers to walk through $400,000 Class A pushers with broken floor tiles and such. At the Airstream price point, we expect and demand perfection.
They make all kinds of excuses. "It's a hand built trailer."
Baloney! That's all the more reason why it should be better!
"Do you full-time in it?"
Do what!?! Does it matter? Is it not built up to the task? It cost more than my house which was built in 1961 and has never had any warranty.maintenance issues-
All in all, I couldn't just return it. I had gone through all kinds of hoops and hurdles to get the financing done and me and my wife took a day off work to go get the thing.
I guess I could have reneged and pulled home the trailer I drove there with. It would have been paid off in June this year.
All in all, I still love my Airstream, and will probably camp in it till I die.
Only 2 issues since we got everything repaired at Jackson Center last September:
1. Refrigerator light don't work no more- I ain't buyin' no $13 refrigerator light bulb just to find out it's the switch-
2. Tread separation in a Goodyear Puff-up-athon- got new 16" wheels and LT truck tires- problem solved-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the frustration side are the noticeably visible items and electrical issues like lights, switches, etc. Especially things that could have been caught easily at the factory. My dealership here in STL was very through. As a matter of fact he sent his QC and prep guy to Jackson Center years ago to talk with folks regarding the items he was finding. The only thing my guy didn't catch on the two Airstreams I have bought was shower leaks around the door and a bad check valve on a water pump that was slowly leaking city water into the fresh water tank. He operated every switch, checked every light, operated every appliance. When I came in he spent almost 2 hours with me as we went through everything including set up when camping to tear down for departure. We also spent the night in a full hookup site at the dealership and didn't pay a dime or sign any paper work until the next morning. To top it all off they had a chilled bottle of champaign in the cold fridge for us.

I paid about $300 more than the best price offered by a dealership in Ohio. I had heard so much good about my local guy that $300 wasn't worth the effort. I've never regretted purchasing from him.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Texas
Second thoughts.

I am picking up my new Airstream this Saturday. I am having second thoughts now. Where in Texas did you purchase the trailer.
JamesSDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Meyersdale , Pennsylvania
Dear folks,
I just read the thread of the 2016 Airstream "lemon". I called and spoke with a rep. from Jackson Center. I have been thinking about getting an airstream but the last article about the 2016 lemon makes me put the wallet back in my pocket. I suggested to the rep that these problems with newer trailers need to be dealt with at the top level. I hope that the new owner of the 2016 gets everything fixed without additional expense. One year ago I was in a new AS unit. Bathroom door handle came off in my hand. Enough said.
dstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
That is a shame their second priciest trailer (Classic) just behind the Land Yacht has so many issues.

Hopefully in a few years when I buy my new AS their "Expansion" and associated lack of quality control has tightened up. I'd also try and buy from a better dealer like Colonial that will do better inspections and work with you more than the "other guys" out there.

Upon delivery I would tak many hours and test everything under the sun before signing the paperwork. A water leak damaging the flooring under the sink? I'd flip out.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
And Jack's experience is the way a delivery should go. During the purchase cycle ask how they do the delivery, ask whether you can stay overnight for a shakedown. If the delivery is 30 minutes and they don't allow you to stay overnight, personally I would find another dealership.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
None of them should have any issue.
Even a 16' trailer is $45,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955