Old 07-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #113
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
It was fun having conversations in Lewisburg with other folks who are as passionate about their Airstream as I am. Interestingly, there seemed to be much more interest in all the customization that goes on rather than quality defects. And, some of the mods I've made that people find most interesting (besides the Vesta dishwasher), are having put in LED strip lighting in every cabinet in the trailer. I've bought these at Lowe's, install a switch that turns on the 12V when you open the door and shuts off when you close it. The last light mod was to put a strip light under the cabinet over the countertop and one under the Baraldi (switches on either side of the front of the Baraldi). Perhaps it's the darker wood, but adding light just makes the trailer "pop". I spent a lot of time perusing the '17 Classic. I like some of the tech add-ons a lot, but wonder if these panels will interfere with easy "upgrades" from people like me!

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The $97,000 list price of our 2014 Classic was buying the opportunity to spend over 40% more to get it right. We fixed broken walls, replaced the wrinkled second floor (installed at the factory as the wrong was initially installed), replaced inferior electrical components, the always breaking plastic catches, all the lenses on the ceiling fixtures (had to be sanded to fit the fixture designed for a flat surface but screwed to the radius of the ceiling), etc.

I had learned from prior experience with them that the local dealer was not qualified to change a light bulb without supervision. I was uninterested in driving the unit to Jackson Center to get the same replacement parts that already had failed. The independent shop fixed things so they stayed fixed.

In a prior post above I mentioned a person cancelling their order after watching their new unit construction at the factory and buying a much older unit with better quality.

I pointed out many QC issues personally to the QC supervisor in person with a follow up email and they were not addressed at the factory. Some of the issues were pointed out by members of the tour group.

The brief walk thru is after all the paperwork is signed and the dealer is paid.

If more folks insisted on being present for a pre-payment thorough inspection and refused a unit with too many issues, that would get the attention of the factory when the dealers started screaming as they own that unit the moment it comes out of the factory door and is released from production.

And if the dealers actually did the pre-delivery inspection looking at the unit and not over a cup of coffee in the lunch room with a qualified and trained person who knew what to look for, there would less squaks after delivery.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #115

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
And if the dealers actually did the pre-delivery inspection looking at the unit and not over a cup of coffee in the lunch room with a qualified and trained person who knew what to look for, there would less squaks after delivery.

And that that's how my dealer operates. Upon arrival to pick up your trailer, you spend a lot of time with the person who did the pre-delivery inspection going over the operations of the trailer. Plus you you don't pay or sign anything till you spend a night in one of his full hookup sites just in case there is anything they miss. It's really the best way to do business.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Hilliard , Ohio
Quote:
There's a dealer in Ohio, right? Maybe that's the place to start.
Interesting thing about this is I live about 5 miles from said dealership and 65 miles from factory. I have a dozen or so items on my issues list. The dealerships usually call in issues to the factory to get authorization to fix them (for non-trivial issues). In my case, the factory instructed the dealership to send me to the factory for remedy for almost every issue. I don't think that's due to my proximity. I think it's more a matter of the factory wanting to address more invasive or complex repairs.

While the sales at the Haydocy dealership was simply excellent, my personal experience with my 2 service appointments were horrible - hit or miss at addressing minor things and horrible with managing expectations, communication and customer focus. My rig was tied up a total of 6 weeks and they couldn't even account for issues they claimed to fix. I'll never take my rig back there. I'll go to the factory for anything going forward. Glad it's nearby. Feel bad for folks far away that may have had similar experiences with dealerships.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #117
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Is Haydocy the closest dealer to the factory? Is Arbogast closer?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The $97,000 list price of our 2014 Classic was buying the opportunity to spend over 40% more to get it right. We fixed broken walls, replaced the wrinkled second floor (installed at the factory as the wrong was initially installed), replaced inferior electrical components, the always breaking plastic catches, all the lenses on the ceiling fixtures (had to be sanded to fit the fixture designed for a flat surface but screwed to the radius of the ceiling), etc.

I had learned from prior experience with them that the local dealer was not qualified to change a light bulb without supervision. I was uninterested in driving the unit to Jackson Center to get the same replacement parts that already had failed. The independent shop fixed things so they stayed fixed.

In a prior post above I mentioned a person cancelling their order after watching their new unit construction at the factory and buying a much older unit with better quality.

I pointed out many QC issues personally to the QC supervisor in person with a follow up email and they were not addressed at the factory. Some of the issues were pointed out by members of the tour group.

The brief walk thru is after all the paperwork is signed and the dealer is paid.

If more folks insisted on being present for a pre-payment thorough inspection and refused a unit with too many issues, that would get the attention of the factory when the dealers started screaming as they own that unit the moment it comes out of the factory door and is released from production.

I still get email notifications that Chris Birch and Randy McNeeley deleted my emails without reading them...
The emails were sent 2 years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Personally, I wish the rhetoric would tone down here. Let's put things in perspective. If there were ever a case of first world problems, this is it.

First - Let me suggest that those of us - myself included - who are fortunate enough to be able to afford a RECREATIONAL vehicle ought to be grateful we're in that position to begin with. 90% of the population would love to have the chance to do what we get to do and experience the joy of camping. Do you whine when the campground fails to clear the environment of mosquitos for you too?

Second, human beings build and service these toys we have. Expecting perfection from humans - each of us included - is sheer stupidity. Failing to respect them is unkind at best.

Third, this constant moaning about quality problems in light of domestic and international matters of far more importance is about as tone deaf as it gets.

No whining on the yacht.

You got problems? Welcome to the real world. Now pick up a wrench or open your checkbook - treat people trying to help you out with respect and be grateful you can do that.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
There aren't enough vans in production to satisfy THAT need.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Personally, I wish the rhetoric would tone down here. Let's put things in perspective. If there were ever a case of first world problems, this is it.

First - Let me suggest that those of us - myself included - who are fortunate enough to be able to afford a RECREATIONAL vehicle ought to be grateful we're in that position to begin with. 90% of the population would love to have the chance to do what we get to do and experience the joy of camping. Do you whine when the campground fails to clear the environment of mosquitos for you too?

Second, human beings build and service these toys we have. Expecting perfection from humans - each of us included - is sheer stupidity. Failing to respect them is unkind at best.

Third, this constant moaning about quality problems in light of domestic and international matters of far more importance is about as tone deaf as it gets.

No whining on the yacht.

You got problems? Welcome to the real world. Now pick up a wrench or open your checkbook - treat people trying to help you out with respect and be grateful you can do that.

Your mileage may vary.
I like the "No whining on the yacht" comment.

Yes we have so very much to be thankful about. I think that often! But I also think we can expect an attitude of taking care of us, the customer!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
SteveSueMac said, "No whining on the yacht!"

Fortunately, my Grand Banks Trawler QC was far superior to the Safari QC, so no whining necessary.

I wish the AS cheerleaders here would acknowledge that not every one owning an AS has the tools and knowledge to fix something that should have come out of the factory right in the first place. Too, a lot of people don't have the time and money to drop everything and go to Jackson Center, again, to address factory QC issues.

Yes, there are a lot more important things to consider.....
Old 07-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
It's not only Airstream that has quality control problems. It is the entire industry.

See the following links:

RV Death Spiral: Manufacturers in race to the bottom (an article in the RV Daily Report).

The Worst Part of the RV Lifestyle.

If you are going to buy an RV (any brand) you are going to deal with quality control problems.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
That article lists Grand Design as an example of RV quality. I looked at their website and their stuff is less than half the price of an Airstream. I have trouble believing that anyone can build a quality RV for that price. I did not look for Grand Design forums to see how their owners feel although clearly they can get into an RV for far less money and feel good about that.
Larry
Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #125
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Well, I did check the Grand Design Owners' forum and almost immediately found something interesting. Guess they aren't perfect either, which is sad. I keep hoping to find excellence out there somewhere in RV-land.

http://www.granddesignowners.com/for...uality+control

Ah, here's a bad news / good news thread on warranty issues and service at GD. So, not perfect, but with the right artistic complaining skills, they got stuff resolved: http://www.granddesignowners.com/for...uality+control

Separately, it seems the "RV Death Spiral" guy is actually doing a series of opinion pieces on the subject: http://rvdailyreport.com/tag/rv-death-spiral/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #126
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
...I did not look for Grand Design forums to see how their owners feel although clearly they can get into an RV for far less money and feel good about that.
Larry
You should. You will find the same as with any other RV forum. A lot of complaints.

Forums attract people with issues looking for help. It's the nature of the Internet.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote