m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #58
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Clearly, your dealer dropped the ball by not doing a decent prep, and probably for not telling you that those lights over your sofa are push on/off....and while FOR SURE, the factory failed as well. With regard to your leaky sink issue, be more concerned about the furnace...which is directly underneath the sink cabinetry. If you got water in there (likely), the furnace board may have shorted out. (The awning electronics are behind your microwave or right behind the drawer underneath it.) I've had my Classic for about 6 months now and while I didn't have any huge issues, I've spent around 60 nights in it and it's throughly shaken down. The last shake down was a week ago....after driving on I70 through Indiana (my vote for the WORST roads in the US), the sink actually fell from the countertop. When I got home, I removed the entire Corian countertop and remounted it. Sadly, Airstream had only 4 small clips holding it to the countertop. I reinforced this, as well as used epoxy to enhance the bond of the stainless steel to the underside of the countertop. I've had a few other issues as well -- including failure of one of the accordian blinds in the front of the trailer. Overall, though, the trailer has been great. I do think, though, that if you are NOT handy around the house you'd soon get worn out from trips to the dealer to fix minor -- but irritating -- issues.

BAB, I second the vote about I70, I traveled it as well this summer and it's horrible, too many holes, I'm talking "BIG HOLES" after hitting a few, I had to stop and check for damage, but, at least their was construction EVERYWHERE, I promised myself, from now own, I'm headed to Alberta and the Yukon. I have traveled from Mississippi to all points up to the Northwest Territory, the Yukon Territory and Alaska and I will have to say Indiana and Ohio have the roughest roads I have ever traveled.

As far as my Airstream, I had some issues, but, I also expected to have some, since they are made by Humans, however, my parents have one just like mine (2015 Classic) and they had more issues, some that I thought should have been caught and repaired at the factory before the unit was released for delivery. All in all, like Mike, we made a list, and stopped at Jackson Center for all the repairs, and like Mike, the service center does Quality work, and they are very very nice. I would and will go there for my repairs if at all possible.

Good Luck everyone with your repairs.

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #59
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It all comes down to the guy or gal with the tools in their hands. If they aren't trained and equipped to do their job, therein is problem #1. If they cant communicate with their supervisors, the problems will compound.

If their supervisor / line foreman is a jerk, there's #2.

The list goes on, If the fella that pushes the broom around in the shop is happy, It is a good indicator of the climate the workers are in.
It is not the sole responsibility of the final inspector to find issues, that belongs to every person that handles the part or assembly as it is installed.

This is the point where the invisible becomes the obvious.

There is no reason that a 120,00+ AS shouldn't be as close to perfect coming out the door.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
There is no reason that a 120,00+ AS shouldn't be as close to perfect coming out the door.
You are right. And our $110,000 AS was close to perfect, as I'm sure many Airstreams, regardless of model, are.

But, I wouldn't expect a Classic to be any better built than a Sport. They are much more complicated coaches than the less costly models. In fact, with the more complex/electric/automated features (which I personally don't find "belonging" on an Airstream in the first place), one might actually expect more malfunctions and ongoing mechanical issues with the new Classics than with any of the other models.

For us, the sweet spot among Airstream models is the Serenity. Sophisticated, but not overly complex, nor over-done. But each of us have different tastes in trailers.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our $72,900 list with all available options 2012 Flying Cloud was also close to perfect coming out the door. We bought it the day it arrived from the factory, it was built perfect.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #62
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
2016 Classic with shades of lemon

We've had a large number of issues in our 2014 International Signature 27FB that should have been caught at the factory and at our dealer. Fortunately, none of them ever prevented us from camping and having a good time. After 21 months of use (yep, we have only 3 months left on our warranty), we've either got them all resolved or she's in the shop for them right now.

We've also created a "new trailer checklist" and posted it to our blog. If we ever buy another new TT, we'll use this to guide our pre-acceptance walk-through. http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

For a bit of levity: Rocinante's tank sensors have *never* worked right. Shocking, right? That's what we have them working on right now, and we're going to keep that service ticket open as long as we can. Based on what we've read about See Level here on the forum, we'd love to have them to replace the Micropulse with a See Level while it's under warranty. For now, they're opening her up underneath to put in a fresh batch of tank sensors. They got the black tank done this morning, and swear that after 4 fill/empty cycles it's working great. We'll see how it goes once we hit the road again. We have our own prediction, but if AS wants to spend the labor and parts on this vs. going in just once to install See Level, we'll let them do it as long as they know we'll be back for more warranty work if (when?) it's not right.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I see it in latest issue of Blue Beret magazine Airstream expects to have the factory expansion completed this month. Looks like two separate production lines. That may resolve some of the current production issues folks have been seeing on new models.

They also claim to have some surprises coming this year. Hard not to be cynical in this thread, but I tend to be optimistic. Looking forward to see what's up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Canton , North Carolina
We bought our 30 fc in April, good walk through at colonial. So far the only problem, no running lights and the plastic emblem on the shower door handle comes off. We find it on the floor and stick it back on.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had a very long laundry list of issues when our 2014 Classic arrived at the dealership. The QC items that I had taken photos of on the assembly line and sent to the QC supervisor were not fixed. We had broken walls, cracked ceiling light lenses, lack of heat in the rear of the coach caused by crossed duct work coming out of the furnace and perhaps twenty more issues.

I had a photo of the kitchen cabinet coming into the trailer and the crossed duct work was visible. I told the dealer that was where the problem was and they laughed at me until I showed them the photo.

I new from a really lousy experience before with this dealership that all my warranty issues would have to be taken care of at the modification center I was taking the trailer to in Texas. They use the best materials, not replacing broken plastic latches with a new ready to break plastic latch. Their cabinet man properly repaired the doors and cabinets.

We converted to the SeeLevel tank system, installed a custom power and solar system, rewired all the outlets to commercial quality equipment, installed disc brakes, did the 16" tire and wheel conversion, installed Maxim skylights, installed a Truma instant on water heater, replaced the failed factory linoleum flooring with Marmoleum and swapped all catches/latches to brass ball systems, installed LED back uprights, and the list is still quite extensive for the other fixes and modifications.

We have it where we want it now.

I picked up the 2015 23D International Serenity at Colonial on 17 July 2015. It had been on their lot since October 2014. We discovered that the salt air had corroded many of the screw heads with rust, the steps are badly rusted underneath, and the water heater and furnace are both badly corroded from the salt air. The shower was installed improperly with a ⅜" wall gap that would let water onto the floor. There was still the plastic covering on the rear quarter panel that should have been removed on the assembly line before the mattress was out on the frame and Colonial should have removed when they put the bedspread on the bed. Colonial did fix a few small items the next morning before I left for CanAm to fine tune the Hensley hitch.

Another discovery occurred as we installed the 15" Michelins replacing the stock 14" GYM tires. The curb side wheel well was not the same as the street side, so we had to cut about three inches of the metal off and bend the trim to fit to clear the front tire. Obviously the same guy did not fine tune the wheel well on both sides.

The dinette table leg had worn a hole through the really cheap flooring in the 2,000 miles it took to get to the modification shop, so it will be replaced by Marmoleum with a brass wear plate for the leg like I installed in the Classic. The water heater is being replaced by a Truma unit. We will probably have the furnace replaced next season. All the outlets are upgraded along with the entire electrical system since we are adding 500 watts of solar panels with a 300 amp-hour battery and a Magnum MSH-3012 converter/inverter.

So, our experience with these three Airsteams is that the 2012 was basically okay with a few minor issues, The Classic was a basket case and the 23D needed lots of work as well.

Like an airplane or a boat, an Airstream creates a large hole down which lots of money and personal effort flow to keep it operational and looking okay.

The factory most certainly could do a better job, but they have no incentive to do so since they are currently selling with a six month back order. They are expecting the dealerships to correct all the deficiencies.

Colonial told me they sent a small motor home (competitor to the Airstream Interstate) back as they were unwilling to repair it. That is the way a message on quality control gets delivered back to the manufacturer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
BAB, I second the vote about I70, I traveled it as well this summer and it's horrible, too many holes, I'm talking "BIG HOLES" after hitting a few, I had to stop and check for damage, but, at least their was construction EVERYWHERE, I promised myself, from now own, I'm headed to Alberta and the Yukon. I have traveled from Mississippi to all points up to the Northwest Territory, the Yukon Territory and Alaska and I will have to say Indiana and Ohio have the roughest roads I have ever traveled.

As far as my Airstream, I had some issues, but, I also expected to have some, since they are made by Humans, however, my parents have one just like mine (2015 Classic) and they had more issues, some that I thought should have been caught and repaired at the factory before the unit was released for delivery. All in all, like Mike, we made a list, and stopped at Jackson Center for all the repairs, and like Mike, the service center does Quality work, and they are very very nice. I would and will go there for my repairs if at all possible.

Good Luck everyone with your repairs.

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Even wanted to get tires and wheels from Jackson Center, but I had to get tires now.
Maybe when it comes time for brakes or axles or renovations I can get back to Jackson Center. It would be nice to go back every 3-5 years for maintenance, repair, and upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Solar would be a nice upgrade if for nothing else than to keep the house batteries topped off-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
After Reading This.....

......I'm going to take a tranquillizer and go to bed.....in the FaN.....which doesn't appear to have any issues.

What did I do to deserve such a trailer?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #69
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Got lucky! Keep up the good work.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Sorry to hear of your troubles. We just took delivery of our 2016 Flying Cloud today and couldn't be happier. This is our 3rd Airstream and by far the nicest. Our walk through revealed no isssues and I looked at everything hard expecting to find something having been down this road with 2 previous Airstreams. Pleasantly surprised! Love the new ducted air, window shades, bumper guards, LED lights, USB charging ports, Awning lights, and electric jack. Pulled it home about 75 miles and again no issues. Hooked it up in driveway and everything still works and no issues. Even our past Airstreams were mostly problem free. I looked at every brand out there before we decided to order another Airstream. We just couldn't find anything that compares. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.