Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our $72,900 list with all available options 2012 Flying Cloud was also close to perfect coming out the door. We bought it the day it arrived from the factory, it was built perfect.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #62
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2016 Classic with shades of lemon

We've had a large number of issues in our 2014 International Signature 27FB that should have been caught at the factory and at our dealer. Fortunately, none of them ever prevented us from camping and having a good time. After 21 months of use (yep, we have only 3 months left on our warranty), we've either got them all resolved or she's in the shop for them right now.

We've also created a "new trailer checklist" and posted it to our blog. If we ever buy another new TT, we'll use this to guide our pre-acceptance walk-through. http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

For a bit of levity: Rocinante's tank sensors have *never* worked right. Shocking, right? That's what we have them working on right now, and we're going to keep that service ticket open as long as we can. Based on what we've read about See Level here on the forum, we'd love to have them to replace the Micropulse with a See Level while it's under warranty. For now, they're opening her up underneath to put in a fresh batch of tank sensors. They got the black tank done this morning, and swear that after 4 fill/empty cycles it's working great. We'll see how it goes once we hit the road again. We have our own prediction, but if AS wants to spend the labor and parts on this vs. going in just once to install See Level, we'll let them do it as long as they know we'll be back for more warranty work if (when?) it's not right.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I see it in latest issue of Blue Beret magazine Airstream expects to have the factory expansion completed this month. Looks like two separate production lines. That may resolve some of the current production issues folks have been seeing on new models.

They also claim to have some surprises coming this year. Hard not to be cynical in this thread, but I tend to be optimistic. Looking forward to see what's up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Canton , North Carolina
We bought our 30 fc in April, good walk through at colonial. So far the only problem, no running lights and the plastic emblem on the shower door handle comes off. We find it on the floor and stick it back on.
Trucker dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had a very long laundry list of issues when our 2014 Classic arrived at the dealership. The QC items that I had taken photos of on the assembly line and sent to the QC supervisor were not fixed. We had broken walls, cracked ceiling light lenses, lack of heat in the rear of the coach caused by crossed duct work coming out of the furnace and perhaps twenty more issues.

I had a photo of the kitchen cabinet coming into the trailer and the crossed duct work was visible. I told the dealer that was where the problem was and they laughed at me until I showed them the photo.

I new from a really lousy experience before with this dealership that all my warranty issues would have to be taken care of at the modification center I was taking the trailer to in Texas. They use the best materials, not replacing broken plastic latches with a new ready to break plastic latch. Their cabinet man properly repaired the doors and cabinets.

We converted to the SeeLevel tank system, installed a custom power and solar system, rewired all the outlets to commercial quality equipment, installed disc brakes, did the 16" tire and wheel conversion, installed Maxim skylights, installed a Truma instant on water heater, replaced the failed factory linoleum flooring with Marmoleum and swapped all catches/latches to brass ball systems, installed LED back uprights, and the list is still quite extensive for the other fixes and modifications.

We have it where we want it now.

I picked up the 2015 23D International Serenity at Colonial on 17 July 2015. It had been on their lot since October 2014. We discovered that the salt air had corroded many of the screw heads with rust, the steps are badly rusted underneath, and the water heater and furnace are both badly corroded from the salt air. The shower was installed improperly with a ⅜" wall gap that would let water onto the floor. There was still the plastic covering on the rear quarter panel that should have been removed on the assembly line before the mattress was out on the frame and Colonial should have removed when they put the bedspread on the bed. Colonial did fix a few small items the next morning before I left for CanAm to fine tune the Hensley hitch.

Another discovery occurred as we installed the 15" Michelins replacing the stock 14" GYM tires. The curb side wheel well was not the same as the street side, so we had to cut about three inches of the metal off and bend the trim to fit to clear the front tire. Obviously the same guy did not fine tune the wheel well on both sides.

The dinette table leg had worn a hole through the really cheap flooring in the 2,000 miles it took to get to the modification shop, so it will be replaced by Marmoleum with a brass wear plate for the leg like I installed in the Classic. The water heater is being replaced by a Truma unit. We will probably have the furnace replaced next season. All the outlets are upgraded along with the entire electrical system since we are adding 500 watts of solar panels with a 300 amp-hour battery and a Magnum MSH-3012 converter/inverter.

So, our experience with these three Airsteams is that the 2012 was basically okay with a few minor issues, The Classic was a basket case and the 23D needed lots of work as well.

Like an airplane or a boat, an Airstream creates a large hole down which lots of money and personal effort flow to keep it operational and looking okay.

The factory most certainly could do a better job, but they have no incentive to do so since they are currently selling with a six month back order. They are expecting the dealerships to correct all the deficiencies.

Colonial told me they sent a small motor home (competitor to the Airstream Interstate) back as they were unwilling to repair it. That is the way a message on quality control gets delivered back to the manufacturer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
BAB, I second the vote about I70, I traveled it as well this summer and it's horrible, too many holes, I'm talking "BIG HOLES" after hitting a few, I had to stop and check for damage, but, at least their was construction EVERYWHERE, I promised myself, from now own, I'm headed to Alberta and the Yukon. I have traveled from Mississippi to all points up to the Northwest Territory, the Yukon Territory and Alaska and I will have to say Indiana and Ohio have the roughest roads I have ever traveled.

As far as my Airstream, I had some issues, but, I also expected to have some, since they are made by Humans, however, my parents have one just like mine (2015 Classic) and they had more issues, some that I thought should have been caught and repaired at the factory before the unit was released for delivery. All in all, like Mike, we made a list, and stopped at Jackson Center for all the repairs, and like Mike, the service center does Quality work, and they are very very nice. I would and will go there for my repairs if at all possible.

Good Luck everyone with your repairs.

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Even wanted to get tires and wheels from Jackson Center, but I had to get tires now.
Maybe when it comes time for brakes or axles or renovations I can get back to Jackson Center. It would be nice to go back every 3-5 years for maintenance, repair, and upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Solar would be a nice upgrade if for nothing else than to keep the house batteries topped off-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
After Reading This.....

......I'm going to take a tranquillizer and go to bed.....in the FaN.....which doesn't appear to have any issues.

What did I do to deserve such a trailer?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #69

Got lucky! Keep up the good work.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Sorry to hear of your troubles. We just took delivery of our 2016 Flying Cloud today and couldn't be happier. This is our 3rd Airstream and by far the nicest. Our walk through revealed no isssues and I looked at everything hard expecting to find something having been down this road with 2 previous Airstreams. Pleasantly surprised! Love the new ducted air, window shades, bumper guards, LED lights, USB charging ports, Awning lights, and electric jack. Pulled it home about 75 miles and again no issues. Hooked it up in driveway and everything still works and no issues. Even our past Airstreams were mostly problem free. I looked at every brand out there before we decided to order another Airstream. We just couldn't find anything that compares. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:51 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
hmm. I've only had one Airstream and no issues like this but just reading through I agree that I would go to JC and not the dealer. I would voice every concern to them and have them check every adjacent system like BABS mentioned.

I just bought a new truck in June. I had two issues with it, all cosmetic- the dash was slit during build on the side and the rear seat had a discoloration in a circle (just above the seat heater). The dealer fixed the seat- great job. The dealer replaced the slit dash module but in the process scratched the steering wheel column cover and the main dash (the part that is $2000 and runs across the whole front). I have somewhat buffed the dash scratches but the column marks are too deep. They bent over backwards to help me on the dash. In fact the sales guy paid for it. The reason is because the dealer has a 72 hour inspection time once the factory delivers the vehicles to note any blemishes, etc. Mine was signed off as OK. Their bad. So they fixed it but... My point to you is, go to JC if you possibly can. Make a trip of it and take the tour. Meanwhile, get your rig fixed. They can replace anything there without ORDERING or having someone deal with the work that is less familiar with the newer build. These kinds of things happen when companies are "cranking them out" as fast as they can which I understand is in the case of both Ford and Airstream right now.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This thread has certainly made me feel good about my used purchase and not buying a new Airstream. Fortunately the PO had the factory service center do almost all service and repair while they had it. I have all the paperwork documenting previous work done. There were several small warranty items. The water heater and AC were both replaced early last year at JC. Water heater due to PO negligence and was replaced at their cost. The AC was replaced under warranty. Apparently it was covered under the recall that Dometic has currently. Now I am having to deal with what I consider normal wear and tear of an almost 10 year old trailer that has been well used. I upgraded the converter and batteries and had to replace the front jack after the original self destructed. Now I am having to deal with the jack again after it started making crazy noises. Sent it in for repair two weeks and ago and impatiently waiting for its return.
Some buyers of luxury items have higher or lower expectations than others and that is evident in the tone of post and complaints. Even if QC issues are fixed by the owners instead of under warranty they should still be reported to Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Thanks for the response, but there is no puck over the couch, no board with blinking light under the sink, no bar for the shade. It these things were there/installed in the first place, some of these problems wouldn't exist! Since then, I've found even more.
Amaranto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #74

We kept a running list and took her into the dealer for warranty service each time the annoyance factor reached the point where we don't want to put up with it anymore. Our dealer has been very helpful and does good work. If anything, their service quality has steadily improved since we bought the trailer on 11/30/2013.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Amaranto-
We share your frustrations and have been down the same road with improperly installed hardware, water leaks, and a list of minor problems too lengthy to re-post.
Butttttt.... you will get it sorted out and be very pleased with the unit - although it may take some time. It is OK in the meantime to be PO'd at the dealer who did not take proper care of you and the factory for letting it slide by.
You have paid heavily for a new unit with a warranty ... now to find a competent dealer. For us, that means a 1000 mile trip!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The issue is not a competent dealer or the factory that will reinstall the same parts that are already too cheap to last like the plastic catches. One has to think outside the box and get repairs done right the first time with the proper parts for the job or have the skill set to accomplish the repairs themselves.

As an example, the double stick tape used to hold the stove side splash and the wiring support for the main television failed in the 105+ heat in Arizona. The solution is not another piece of tape but a proper fastener to hold the pieces in place. The aluminum metal splash guard is still down the sidewall as it made no sense to remove all the cabinets to get it out. We installed a magnetic piece of stainless steel and screwed it to the wall and put a hickory frame around the metal. It looks better and is more professional than the original piece and will stay in place.

Did the brain trusts at Airstream ever think their trailers might end up in the desert SouthWest where hot summers are the norm? They have lots of authorized dealers in California, Arizona and Texas....

So the workers can only install what parts they are given. The choice of cheap vs quality parts is the choice of Thor and senior management.

The quality of the finished product is determined by having the time to do the job right or some stop watch timer trying to shave a few seconds off of the build time. Errors can occur and then the workers get distracted by having too many folks in the trailer at the same time. This is not conjecturer as I was in mine on the line and saw way too many folks climbing over one another to do different jobs at the same time.

The top management push is quantity versus quality.

The shoddy job then goes to the dealerships who hire unskilled labor to wipe the dust off as a PDI and await the customer complaints so the dealer can charge for fixing what they were supposed to catch during the PDI if it were done correctly.

Our 2015 23D arrived at the dealership in October of 2014 with the plastic protective film on an inner rear panel of exposed aluminum. At the factory, it was not noticed when the bed frame was installed. It was not noticed when the mattress was put on the bed frame. At the dealership it was not noticed when they put the bed spread on the mattress. I noticed it when I laid on the bed and felt this large wad of plastic. The dealer opened a warranty claim to remove the plastic.

The bathroom door had the rubber bumpers installed on the wrong side of the latch.

The dealership was near the ocean, so when I picked up the trailer in mid-July 2015, screw heads were already rusting, the stairs are rusted badly on the underside, and the water heater and furnace sheet metal was baldly corroded by the salt air.

The devil is in the details.

My experience with both the factory and their dealers has caused me to use only third party facilities for repairs and modifications. While the one I selected is authorized to do Airstream warranty work, we usually by pass that time consuming and frustrating process by using the proper repair parts (usually not from Airstream) and processes so the issue is fixed the first time.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #77

Our dealer is only half an hour from us. If it had been 1,000 miles or even 100, our Airstream endeavor would have ended in failure. Too many things needed fixing to put up with that kind of commute for warranty service.

Per Switz's note above, when our warranty expires in a few months all further repairs will be at our expense and we'll following his advice on replacement parts. Until then we want Airstream to be out of pocket for every warranty $$$ it takes to bring the trailer up to the quality bar it should have met 2 years ago. We love our trailer, but we would have loved it more if it had been as right at delivery as our TV.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #78
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Guess I wasn't clear enough about the lights over the couch. Each of the three lights (puck lights) can be turned on or off by pushing in on the dome of the light. They individually turn on or off by pushing them in. There is no master switch for the couch lights. The lights over the table and kitchen counter do have an on/off master rocker switch located close to the lights in each location.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #79
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Amaranth, how about an update?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #80
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My take on my "new" Classic -- after around 25,000 miles since its arrival -- is that the bugs are pretty much gone. With all the mods I've done to it, I have been behind, under, or in just about all accessible interior spaces. Since I did put in 600W of solar and the Magnum MSH 30 amp inverter, I know the electrical REALLY well. Adding a dishwasher gave me additional insights into how to tap into drain lines, water lines, and reinforcement required after cutting a huge hole between the closet and the stovetop. And, of course, removing the Corian countertop to reattach the sink gave me intimate familiarity with THAT system. My conclusion is that Airstream did a very good job putting my Classic together, and that the basic design is solid. I have had NO failures of any of the major systems (water, heat, A/C, plumbing, electrical)...some adjustments here and there, but nothing that hints at "lemon." While there are a number of add-on's to the Classic (electrical stuff like stabilizer jacks, power recliners), they all work well. Everyone who has toured my trailer, and that is a LOT of people, marvels at the gorgeous woodwork, 1st class cabinetry, and most of all -- the gorgeous bath (the hamper is universally clucked over). So, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't hesitate. Between what I can do, and my dealer can offer -- I have every confidence that the annoying "stuff" will not dim the joy I've been having and expect to have with my trailer.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote