Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the frustration side are the noticeably visible items and electrical issues like lights, switches, etc. Especially things that could have been caught easily at the factory. My dealership here in STL was very through. As a matter of fact he sent his QC and prep guy to Jackson Center years ago to talk with folks regarding the items he was finding. The only thing my guy didn't catch on the two Airstreams I have bought was shower leaks around the door and a bad check valve on a water pump that was slowly leaking city water into the fresh water tank. He operated every switch, checked every light, operated every appliance. When I came in he spent almost 2 hours with me as we went through everything including set up when camping to tear down for departure. We also spent the night in a full hookup site at the dealership and didn't pay a dime or sign any paper work until the next morning. To top it all off they had a chilled bottle of champaign in the cold fridge for us.

I paid about $300 more than the best price offered by a dealership in Ohio. I had heard so much good about my local guy that $300 wasn't worth the effort. I've never regretted purchasing from him.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Currently Looking...
Richmond , Texas
Second thoughts.

I am picking up my new Airstream this Saturday. I am having second thoughts now. Where in Texas did you purchase the trailer.

JamesSDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Meyersdale , Pennsylvania
Dear folks,
I just read the thread of the 2016 Airstream "lemon". I called and spoke with a rep. from Jackson Center. I have been thinking about getting an airstream but the last article about the 2016 lemon makes me put the wallet back in my pocket. I suggested to the rep that these problems with newer trailers need to be dealt with at the top level. I hope that the new owner of the 2016 gets everything fixed without additional expense. One year ago I was in a new AS unit. Bathroom door handle came off in my hand. Enough said.
dstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
That is a shame their second priciest trailer (Classic) just behind the Land Yacht has so many issues.

Hopefully in a few years when I buy my new AS their "Expansion" and associated lack of quality control has tightened up. I'd also try and buy from a better dealer like Colonial that will do better inspections and work with you more than the "other guys" out there.

Upon delivery I would tak many hours and test everything under the sun before signing the paperwork. A water leak damaging the flooring under the sink? I'd flip out.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
And Jack's experience is the way a delivery should go. During the purchase cycle ask how they do the delivery, ask whether you can stay overnight for a shakedown. If the delivery is 30 minutes and they don't allow you to stay overnight, personally I would find another dealership.
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
None of them should have any issue.
Even a 16' trailer is $45,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Abilene , Texas
i have been considering Airstream for a year; just looked at an Oliver. your input appreciated.
Stfinabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #22

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
All of the above will force me to do a thorough walk thru when my 2016 Classic shows up. I do have confidence in my that if something is wrong they will find it or take care of it if I find it. We shall see.

I certainly feel bad for your inconvenience and hope that in the end all issues are resolved.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Franklin , Indiana
My faith has been shaken! Just bought a barely used 2014 AS Sport, still smells new. We bought from an individual not a dealer and never questioned the quality of the product it's an Airstream after all ! Now I'm not so sure. We have yet to take it on our first outing and I'll be on the look out for water leaks, drainage leaks, electric glitches, propane leaks, latches falling off, and evil gnomes with bad attitudes. My only hope is that since it the smallest and simplest of the AS's there are less pieces to fail.
pickettmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The second owner gets a trouble free trailer.
Whatever was gonna happen already happened when the original owner had it. All the bugs are worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Originally Posted by pattydoug View Post
In '07 & '08 we were seriously looking for a new Airstream and visited 5 different dealers throughout the US looking through new units they had open for display over the 2 years. At every dealer we found units that had numerous easily spotted problems. We were shocked and dismayed. We walked away from our dream of owning a new Airstream and haven't considered one since. To spend the money you spent and then be told you have to ride heard on the dealer or drive to the factory to have things corrected that should have never occurred in the first place, or someone else having 60+ items needing correcting has just reinforced our decision. Your story makes me sick to my stomach for you. Good Luck.
pattydoug... from the looks of it, you seem to still have Airstream on your mind, all these years later.

OP... very sorry to hear of your troubles. I would be frosted, as well, if I were in your shoes. Hopefully you will get it all resolved and these troubles will become a distant memory.

mhony... I'm amazed that you would have 60 fix-it items. That is staggering. Glad you are happy now, but 60 issues to correct??? WOW.

TO offer a counterpoint... we received our 2016 custom ordered 30' Serenity a few weeks ago and have been incredibly impressed that there are no issues to report. We expected better running time with the batteries, but that's not a quality issue or flaw. Our fridge didn't cool as much as we thought it should, but considering the ambient temp inside and outside the coach was 105* and the fridge was empty... we were probably expecting too much in that department, as well.

Every item in our coach runs as expected, fit and finish is excellent. We're on our second trip with it, including 6 continuous days and nights boon docking, and are exceptionally happy with this coach!

So, in our experience, Airstream is churning out well made coaches. Though apparently not every coach receives the best quality work.

Best to hold off signing the final paperwork until the walk-through and corrections are done, just to make sure you get immediate service attention from the dealer - if needed.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
The majority of RV industry is plagued with quality control issues. Just look at some of the youTube videos of RVs being assembled. You'd think the Devil was behind them cracking a whip.

I had a Casita before our Airstream. While we enjoyed the trailer it was too small for our long term needs. I've only looked at an Oliver in photos from their website and from users postings. It's too much like a Casita; wet bath, narrow, about the same floor plan just longer with more kitchen counter space, same 4 cu/ft single door fridge. We considered selling our AS and going with a Bigfoot 25 which is all fiberglass. The 25ft model is 2/3 to 1/2 the price of a new AS 25. The biggest drawback on the Bigfoot 25 rear bedroom model was the tiny bath. We even looked at SOBs but can't find anything we like better than our AS. In the end we decided to stop looking and keep our AS. We are planning a queen to twin bed conversion this winter.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We took delivery of our 2015 Classic in May and have one a/c that doesn't work, some of the wood trim has come off, leak under kitchen sink and a few other items that were minor. Frustrating? You bet. Piss me off? Oh yes. Would I buy another? I would buy another in a heartbeat! It was disappointing to say the least but we have had such fun that it makes up for the frustration. Absolutely quality control should be better and when it arrives at the dealership, they should spend more time going over everything as well, but we were so excited to get our unit, that I don't believe the dust had even settled from the time the dealer took delivery! My husband and I just decided that life was too short. We got what we wanted and love it to pieces and we'll get the problems squared away when we go for our appointment in October - we just hope and pray the other a/c doesn't crash!! LOL!

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The reports of the 2016 Classic Lemon are very disconcerting. We have a 2009 Flying Cloud FB 27 and though we have had some issues, most have been small. And the biggest one was paid by Airstream in full, even well past the warranty because it was clearly their fault - long story, taken care of, in the past. But we've been considering getting a new one in a year or two and this makes me wonder if we should just hold on to our older one until things settle down at the factory. I love the idea of the dealer having a fully hook up place for the first night so difficulties can be identified quickly. It seems like a no brainer, now that I read about it. Dah! Wonder if our Airstream NW offers such a thing. It would be so much better to leave a trailer at the dealer to have things fixed than to schlep it back and forth. I will say that we have a friend in our Airstream group who got a new 2016 Classic and I've not heard a peep about things being wrong and it sure is a beauty so sometimes I guess they do come up well. Sending the Jackson Center people to a Lexus plant for a lesson in quality control methods seems like such a good idea. But I wonder if the factory folks read these posts at all. Hmmm.

twestover is offline   Reply With Quote