Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2013 25FB International Serenity was built in June of 2012 when production was 26 units per week. There were no manufacturing issues with that trailer.

I was there every day in January 2014 as our 31' Classic was being built when the build rate was "only" 41 units per week. It was a Keystone Cops fire drill with people tripping over each other inside the trailer (I was inside while they were working and watched the kitchen sink cabinet come in and be placed on top of crossed duct tubes (I took a photo as it came in) - which blocked hot air to the rear of the trailer.

I pointed out the obvious defects in workmanship to the QC supervisor whose office was at the end of the production line. I gave him a list with photos. None of the issues were addressed at the factory. By the time the road race was over for delivery to Phoenix (driver beat my best time for this trip so he was way over 65mph), we had lots more damage to doors, walls and fittings.

I knew from prior experience there no way in hell that the selling dealership could repair any of the issues. As I was there when the trailer was on the lot for ten minutes, I watched them blow the pin striping off the side of the trailer with a pressure washer. I told them I would take it back to the factory to get it fixed. That satisfied them and I took it elsewhere where I paid out of pocket to get the repairs and upgrades done properly.

Our 2015 23D was built when (July 2014) the rate (in the old factory)had been ramped up to 51 units per week. The most telling error was the lack of the "Airstream" brand name on the rear of the 23D. Betty Furness said on television in the late 60s "the quality goes in before the name goes on) (Westinghouse) so no name was a harbinger of the issue I discovered.

We now have both the 23D and the Classic extremely modified to our design and needs and would not even consider the cheapened newer models with grossly inflated prices.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #142
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Rod, (as always!) has some really good questions. The whole quality issue has to do with the culture of the manufacturer. And, of course, the manufacturer also has something to say to their suppliers about the quality of their components. Years ago I sat next to a guy on an airplane whose company competed (and won) the contract to supply battery boxes for Lexus. He said that their specs and oversight were like nothing they'd ever experienced before. Imagine that at Dometic where A/C failures in the last year or so have been massive. It most definitely is possible for an organization to do this. W. Edwards Deming couldn't sell this in the US, but he sure did for the Japanese. As far as Mercedes goes, I've bought 5 of them since 2001 (all new). The only reason I bought newer models was because the technology and style were persuasive enough for me to do so. I've bought two new Airstreams. I did substantial mods to both --- with my Classic taking the prize for changes. The last several years I think Airstream has not covered itself with glory for engineering and QC. The rollout of the Alde system in the Classic is one prime example, where neither Airstream nor the dealer network seemed able to answer questions on "how can I get a hot shower" until months after the trailers were sold. The other obvious example is the Basecamp, obviously not close to ready for customers with tires rubbing on wheel wells, door leaks, other leaks, refrigerator vents that are inadequate to assure cold (and safe) food temperatures. With productivity (and profits) at an all time high, one could ask, "why don't you put some of this profitability into a first rate Six Sigma process?" The 2018 rollout of "Nest by Airstream" will be another data point....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:06 AM   #143
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Rod, (as always!) has some really good questions. The whole quality issue has to do with the culture of the manufacturer. And, of course, the manufacturer also has something to say to their suppliers about the quality of their components. Years ago I sat next to a guy on an airplane whose company competed (and won) the contract to supply battery boxes for Lexus. He said that their specs and oversight were like nothing they'd ever experienced before. Imagine that at Dometic where A/C failures in the last year or so have been massive. It most definitely is possible for an organization to do this. W. Edwards Deming couldn't sell this in the US, but he sure did for the Japanese. As far as Mercedes goes, I've bought 5 of them since 2001 (all new). The only reason I bought newer models was because the technology and style were persuasive enough for me to do so. I've bought two new Airstreams. I did substantial mods to both --- with my Classic taking the prize for changes. The last several years I think Airstream has not covered itself with glory for engineering and QC. The rollout of the Alde system in the Classic is one prime example, where neither Airstream nor the dealer network seemed able to answer questions on "how can I get a hot shower" until months after the trailers were sold. The other obvious example is the Basecamp, obviously not close to ready for customers with tires rubbing on wheel wells, door leaks, other leaks, refrigerator vents that are inadequate to assure cold (and safe) food temperatures. With productivity (and profits) at an all time high, one could ask, "why don't you put some of this profitability into a first rate Six Sigma process?" The 2018 rollout of "Nest by Airstream" will be another data point....
I spent all of my career in manufacturing, most of it in the auto business as a supplier to the OEM's. I've worked with Toyata and Honda as well as the "big three" and German auto companies. No one was as relentless in driving out quality issues and waste like the Japanese. It was a "religion" for them. And all the OEM's finally learned from the Japanese how to build good cars. But they learned out of necessity for survival (some with the assistance of the tax payers). At first working with the Japanese companies was extremely difficult until my attitude changed and then I really enjoyed the experience.

Until AS is faced with competition or ownership (I'm speaking of company ownership here) pressure they will not really change. Maybe some window dressing at times but only that. The company management is fat, dumb and happy at this point. And I might add lazy to the list. IMHO!

But we put up with the quality issues because we love the product and they are the only game in town if you want an AS type of trailer!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Put up with it? I wish I had a way to signal that I will not put up with it. I will never buy another Airstream. The lack of quality and maintainability is inexcusable. Never mind that people think it is better than all other options. But you are so right, with no competition and record sales, nothing will change.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

I spent all of my career in manufacturing, most of it in the auto business as a supplier to the OEM's. I've worked with Toyata and Honda as well as the "big three" and German auto companies. No one was as relentless in driving out quality issues and waste like the Japanese. It was a "religion" for them. And all the OEM's finally learned from the Japanese how to build good cars. But they learned out of necessity for survival (some with the assistance of the tax payers). At first working with the Japanese companies was extremely difficult until my attitude changed and then I really enjoyed the experience.

Until AS is faced with competition or ownership (I'm speaking of company ownership here) pressure they will not really change. Maybe some window dressing at times but only that. The company management is fat, dumb and happy at this point. And I might add lazy to the list. IMHO!

But we put up with the quality issues because we love the product and they are the only game in town if you want an AS type of trailer!
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
The more I read about the newer Airstreams the more it makes me want to hang on to my 50 year old Airstream like grim death. .
I've been to the dealer & looked and in every one I stepped in to there was at least one error. Missing rivets, scratches, screws put in crooked etc...
In this case older is better for my needs.
I hope you get one you are satisfied with.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #146
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Put up with it? I wish I had a way to signal that I will not put up with it. I will never buy another Airstream. The lack of quality and maintainability is inexcusable. Never mind that people think it is better than all other options. But you are so right, with no competition and record sales, nothing will change.

Larry
"Put up with it" may have been a poor choice of words. Since they sell everything they are making, with a wait list to boot, I meant to say that the consumer still demands the product.

I bought a used Airstream and would also be reluctant to buy a new one. But getting a used one, with the configuration you would like, is a long drawn out process, and if you want one right away most turn a blind eye to the quality issues. Many assume they will be fixed by the dealer. But of course that is also a hit and miss proposition!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
In retrospect, I should not have bought one; I do not have the temperament. We were so lucky to find a lightly used one we liked right after we started looking. I probably would have bought new, otherwise. That was 2013 and by all reports quality has degraded as production has increased.
After 4 years of this, I would say that if you have the temperament to be willing to throw service money at this trailer as things break and if you are willing to suffer the inconvenience of having to tow to a dealer, then this RV or any RV might make sense.
On the other hand, if you are used to fixing things yourself you will be busy with a bunch of minor things. But, you will be frustrated by things that are simply out of your skill set or tool capability. My nearest dealer is 4 hours away, will not give repair quotes(only hourly rates), and cannot commit to start and completion dates.
It is fun when things are working. Frustrating when they are not.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #148
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
To add a different perspective, those of us without the Firefly or Alde systems are maintaining a home on wheels. Things break and we fix them ourselves or have a handyman. This is all handyman stuff except for the mechanical which the local car shop can do. My vehicles never go to the dealer except for unusual expensive warranty work. I support my local gas station, pay bit more than Costco gas, do my oil-brakes- etc and when I had hitch issues, they dealt with it.

So although I took advantage of being at a free dealers hookup site in Boise last week, I've learned that all this is little different from contractor punch lists on a renovation or addition. A new water pump is $114 at list price from the dealer and can be replaced in 20 minutes by me or my local car mechanic. If your shop can make brake lines and replace an engine, they can handle the simple plumbing and electric issues in our RV's.

Yes we have a warranty. No, I'm not going to use it unless I'm conveniently there as my time is better spent doing things so I'll consider the cost of maintaining the RV to be the same as if it was my vacation home.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote