Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Grass Valley , California
Yes, we too have that ding after our first 2 week trip in our 2016 Classic. And the outside step needs to be replaced and the sofa drawer needs adjusting. But other than that we LOVE our Palace, called that after having a '67 17' Caravel and an '09 27 FB International. The comfort and design has extended our Airstreaming ways now that we are going into our 80's. No matter what the price point is of anything you buy these days, you will have "issues". I give thanks to those above who have offered solutions to avoid damage. Perhaps a new Classic buyer will heed them before they occur.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Castle Rock , Colorado
Dents

We also have dents. Our trailer was 2.7 minutes old when the neighborhood descended on it for inspection and someone opened both re-frig and freezer doors (not sure how at the same time) but in any case Micky & Minnie magnets now reside over dents.
We love our Classic, but we also have issues, lights out from bath/shower to the living room recliners, scratches all over counters before we moved into it.
Oven that wont light consistently and 1 burner on the stove that scares me to death every time I light it due to the fire ball that fly's out.
Does anyone else have issues with the burner covers on the stove, I feel they are unsafe and would like to find a stove grate or something so if the hot pan of soup slides a little off those skinny little burners, nobody gets burned.

We live in our rig full time and find it comfortable and very classy. I do agree with some on this forum that for the money, more care needs to go into the small details.

We will soon be heading to the birth place of our rig to get a few things fixed.

Meschelle

Old 07-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Multiple people have posted in this thread regarding the exact same issue (there are parallel threads regarding other problems with Classics). Yet, Some members think this is an isolated problem, as people come to forum only to complain. What is shocking to me is the level of denial. You might say you love your Airstream despite its flaws (nothing wrong with that). But to say I love my Airstream so much, it has no flaws, is just unreal.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I haven't seen anyone say Airstream has no flaws. What I have seen is several comments in a thread that is a little over a page long and extrapolate that to the hundreds or thousands of units Airstream builds.

Perspective is a beautiful thing.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The nature of RV travel results in shocks and movement that often damages furniture and appliances. Better design would positively impact the result, but a quick review of configurations shows that type of consideration to detail is missing from most RVs. Consequently, we have learned to secure the refrigerator and closet doors/drawers while traveling. We have also added the bumper pads in several locations to prevent damage from door handles.

We also remove the microwave glass plate and travel with it in a quilted cover fitted inside a padded bag.

Positive packing produces improved results and is just as important as checking before you change lanes, back up, or start off each morning.

Feel free to holler at AS. They should do better and if they would engage each of their employees to make a daily improvement suggestion, they could do much better. Continuous improvement is not significantly difficult and it has very positive results.

In the interim, thank you for pointing out the problem. New owners need to be forwarned so they can address the issue.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff that makes a difference. There is a plastic clip that is supposed to hold the fridge door open to air it out while stored. Our experience is that it does not work well. We recommend that you do not rely on it and implement a more rigorous solution. We use a bungy cord. There are a lot of good uses for bungy cords. We learned that from the experienced folks here. Thanks!

Travel safe. Pat
Old 07-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #20
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
REALLY!! thats a design flaw and should be a warranty issue..... no question
Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Dent revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvertopCA View Post
Yes, we too have that ding after our first 2 week trip in our 2016 Classic. And the outside step needs to be replaced and the sofa drawer needs adjusting. But other than that we LOVE our Palace, called that after having a '67 17' Caravel and an '09 27 FB International. The comfort and design has extended our Airstreaming ways now that we are going into our 80's. No matter what the price point is of anything you buy these days, you will have "issues". I give thanks to those above who have offered solutions to avoid damage. Perhaps a new Classic buyer will heed them before they occur.
Thank you for pointing out other issues (outside step and sofa drawer) that we've also encountered.

ANYWAY, folks, I have to issue a sincere apology to all. For after researching the dented refrigerator door issue, I've come to the conclusion that the ONLY way it occurred was for the door to swing violently wide open and then close with a resounding click during a bumpy stretch of highway (hiding evidence of how it occurred.) I also realized that I tend to load up the door shelves with a lot of heavy bottles--my bad! BTW, I've entered the trailer on another occasion and found the main TV completely swung out over the table-- and I know I had it latched securely.

So, the point of all this lamentation is to say that things happen and there are bumps on the road of trailer life. I'm sucking it in and taking responsibility and declaring our love for our new Classic.

Buy one, you'll never regret it.

YFS, David
Old 09-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Us too!

Yep, our first dent was in the refrigerator door. Nice to know w we are not alone!

Indianapolis, IN
SusanFleck is offline   Reply With Quote