Old 08-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
2015 FC torn skin behind rock guard bracket

Hi everyone, I just returned on a 10-day trip from Louisiana to Colorado & back. For 4 evenings of the trip I was parked in a cramped parking lot with other RVs and there were times that I was away from my 25' Flying Cloud. On the drive home, I noticed a rock guard vibrating abnormally & on closer inspection saw the bolt ripped from the rock guard bracket & then realized that the skin is torn on both sides of the bracket & discovered white scrapes along my front, driver's side window guard. Apparently, it looks like someone swiped me with an RV possibly, with just enough momentum to tear the skin at the bracket mount. (pic attached)

I have filed an insurance claim and am just wondering if anyone has had a similar repair (looks like the front, driver's side lower panel will have to be replaced). I don't have a quote yet, but my largest concern is making sure the repair is done at a properly skilled shop.

I purchased mine locally, however, when I brought it into be washed once, I discovered only after arriving home (60 mi away), that someone moving my RV around in their cramped parking area scratched the side of it. Also, I think this particular dealer is very new to selling Airstream and my gut instinct is to seek out a facility that has as much experience as possible at work on the panels/skin. Are my fears overblown??

A review of RV Service businesses in my local area reads like a horror story . . . one bad experience after another.

I am in the Gulf Coast region (Louisiana) and am already planning to have my FC repaired at a facility out of state (based on preliminary reviews). If anyone knows of a great AS facility (in terms of repair) in the Gulf Coast area that they have had particular good experience, I'd appreciate it very much if you wouldn't mind sharing the name of the business. Thank you in advance. Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Airstream_RockGdBracket_Damage.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	269951  

2015 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4, 5.7 V8
MichaelSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
If under warranty go to airstream. If not a good Tig welder may be able to repair that skin. Since its behind the rock guard being pretty not a big deal.

Another options would be rivet a
Patch over the wound. Should relive the stress on the skin

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
Well, first of all - I'm sorry this happened to you. It sucks that people do not live by the Golden Rule anymore these days. To bad no one had a camera around to catch the person who did this on tape so they could be held accountable. You are looking at a substantial repair me thinks.

I (personally) would take it to the factory, but you'd probably be forced to leave it with them. You may also check with Foley's RV. I 'hear' that they can do body work. Personally, I would want this entire panel replaced to original specs, not repaired. I believe repairing it will play against the value in the future, and could be a source of future leaks.

That's my two pennies.

D
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
JC, the mothership. Make your appointment, arrive the day before and it will be done while you wait. Additional bonus: take the factory tour and great fried chicken at the Inn Between.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
JC, the mothership. Make your appointment, arrive the day before and it will be done while you wait. Additional bonus: take the factory tour and great fried chicken at the Inn Between.
I agree with skin replacement at JC. I was there 2 times for rt. front curved skin & other time rt. rear curved skin. Made apt. arr. afternoon day before parked in designated lot, next morn. they took AS into repair shop. I took tour short time later repair finished back on rd. same day, this was in late 70s. Hopefully time is same for repairs as then but not as many sold at that time. Only compl. was used steel screws on tail light housing instead of stainless, now rusted can't remove to replace.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Also another vote for the Factory Service Center. When I had damage and needed two endcap segments replaced, the insurance company was more than willing to have me take it to the factory. Travel expenses were mine though. It was worth the trip and cost though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I would check with Foley's in Gulfport, MS. They replaced several panels on ours and did a great job. It will probably have to "get in line" behind their other work, but they are experienced and do good work.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Moneta , Virginia
I would agree that the best place to have panel work done is at Jackson Center. However, I was just their last week and the parking lot next to the service center was full of trailers needing panel work. The techs that worked on our trailer told me they had a backlog that would keep them busy for 6 months if that was all they had to work on. But I would call Brad Herring (937-596-6111 x7257) the service manager and see what he can do for you.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Another vote for the factory service center.
Foley in Gulfport, MS may be qualified to make the repair.
Seems like the real way to repair it is to get a new segment installed.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Repair of Panels

Go to JACKSON as they may need to remove the inside panel also to put it back together. They are the most accommodating folks you could ask for. Oh yes each panel is approx $1600 bucks to do last yrs pricing.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
WOW!!! Thank you everyone!! I learned things from your input that I wasn't even aware of: service at the factory being an option. My Airstream is not just a "camper" for me, it's far more special than that, even after only being an RV-er for 1 year, 4 months now, and an AS being my first RV. It probably gets more TLC than my tow vehicle anything short of a proper repair to restore it's integrity would leave me bummed for years! In one year, I've spent over 80 nights, covering over 24,000 miles; and there is nothing - no hotel experience that can compare to those I've had with the Airstream.

I love the idea of having the factory perform the repair, but the thought of not using it for 6 months or more ... well, that's an addiction intervention I don't think I would fare too well with!

Seriously, thank you everyone for all of the input, cumulatively, it had made me more confident than ever about proceeding through the repair process. I sincerely appreciate the time each of you took to help!!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
I sure hope that's the case!! That would be sweet!! Be back camping in no time - what could be better!! Thanks for the input!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
Thank you, Rich. Your opinion is appreciated & factors greatly into what I will decide.