Old 04-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
2015 23d radio and heater issue

I'm suspecting some miswiring here. I took our new airstream out for the maiden voyage and discovered the most bizarre behavior I have ever seen. When I turn on the radio, the heating system turns on. I looked the thermostat and everything was off but as long as the radio was on, the fan was on. The only solution was to either turn off the propane outside or turn off the radio.

I thought it was crazy that the radio had anything to do with the heat, so I tried on multiple occasions to turn on the radio and each time I did, the fan kicked on.

Anybody ever heard of such craziness???

Old 04-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum!

If you leave the radio off, does the heating system work correctly on its own? Please try all the functions including air conditioning and Fan on its own.

Is your model year 2015 or 2016? Your post and ID on the left differ.

Have you called your dealer and salesperson, who presumably did a walk-through of the trailer with you?

Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Mis-titled

Sorry, I realized after I published, that the year was wrong in the title. I have a 2016. I called the dealer,but played phone tag with them and I was in and out of cell coverage. I'll have to catch up with them tomorrow. The AC worked properly, but you know, I never tested the heating unit with the radio off.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the reply. It will help you discuss things with the dealer (and here) if you isolate and verify the operation of as many separate functions as you can. Hard to imagine "crossed wires" in the old sense of the words IMO.

Maybe some stray wireless signals between the radio (or its remote?) and the stat? Does your thermostat have a remote control also? Do your remotes (if any) permit you to switch channels the same way that most garage door openers do?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Sorry, I realized after I published, that the year was wrong in the title. I have a 2016. I called the dealer,but played phone tag with them and I was in and out of cell coverage. I'll have to catch up with them tomorrow. The AC worked properly, but you know, I never tested the heating unit with the radio off.
Curious whether you got this sorted out?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Curious whether you got this sorted out?
I talked to the head mechanic at Camper Clinic II, he was puzzled by it, I dropped it off today, and showed them the 'neat' feature. Their immediate response... "we're going to have to call Airstream and figure this one out."

So, the answer is not quite, but I promise I'll update this thread when they figure out why it's doing what it's doing!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Problem solved.

So apparently there was a wire "touching something it shouldn't have been"... my guess based on 20+ years of electronics is some wire sheathing probably came off due to pinching and that was causing voltage to be placed on a common ground or some other common source with the furnace. They decided to go ahead and replace the thermostat as a precaution, so we're just waiting for that to come in, then she can come home.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Problem solved.

So apparently there was a wire "touching something it shouldn't have been"... my guess based on 20+ years of electronics is some wire sheathing probably came off due to pinching and that was causing voltage to be placed on a common ground or some other common source with the furnace. They decided to go ahead and replace the thermostat as a precaution, so we're just waiting for that to come in, then she can come home.
Thanks for the update. May I suggest that you see the location in person -- where the wiring crossed or ??? -- to gain knowledge about your trailer for the future? Wondering if there are hints of future problems waiting to happen . . .
Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the update. May I suggest that you see the location in person -- where the wiring crossed or ??? -- to gain knowledge about your trailer for the future? Wondering if there are hints of future problems waiting to happen . . .
I picked up the camper yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed in Airstream's QC department, but can't lay the blame entirely on them. The molex connector (those plastic quick connects for the wiring harness) was the issue. They took a photo of the connector and internally a piece of the metal had not been fully removed by whomever builds the wiring harnesses (I'm going to assume Airstream probably doesn't build their own wiring harnesses, but farms that out). Anyhow, the subwoofer and the heater are next to each other on the harness and those were the one's connected to each other. It actually only took a couple of days to fixed the problem, but during the diagnoses somebody broke the thermostat. (I've been there, it happens)... So they ordered a new thermostat for the unit. What was supposed to take 3 days ended up taking a week and half to come in.

So, bottom line, not sure I can blame this niggle on Airstream. Now their vendor who supplies the wiring harnesses, yes. They should have known during the check that two wires were shorting out. And again the QC department at Airstream should have caught this (but didn't). The person who tests things at the dealership admitted he noticed the heater had kicked on, but wasn't sure why and should have flagged it, but didn't and apologized for missing that during the dealer prep.

At the end of the day, it's minor and overall something that is truly not shoddy workmanship by Airstream, but ultimately should have been caught by several QC departments (the factory where the molex connectors are assembled for example).
Old 05-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
At the end of the day, it's minor and overall something that is truly not shoddy workmanship by Airstream, but ultimately should have been caught by several QC departments (the factory where the molex connectors are assembled for example).
Thanks for the follow-up, and glad you learned more about the trailer. The deeper I dig trying to figure out one thing usually results in some additional info. learned.

Let the Summer Games begin!

Peter