Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #21
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Hoo boy. Whatta mess. Strip it & scrap it.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I know there is a lot of damage on this unit and appears, at this time, uneconomical to repair using industry-accepted labor rates and a full parts estimate, but to get a feeling for the magnitude, do you all have a "ball Park" number for the cost of front segments, front windows, rear segments and a worse case scenario for this project?
Hrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
The many many hours you'd spend on study and parts research would have found you a very nice trailer, notwithstanding labor hours or costs you'd have invested. Just remember that prices decline to 70s or 80s then go back, for older, but but convenience wains. However the longer you keep the AS the higher price you'll sell it for. Had a friend who started with a 1961 and ended up with a 1991 via auspicious buy/sell. Took him 2 years but all the while he was able to "hit the road" in a fully serviceable rig. We all know how to get in touch with you and to add to this thread. We'll look.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodriguez View Post
I know there is a lot of damage on this unit and appears, at this time, uneconomical to repair using industry-accepted labor rates and a full parts estimate, but to get a feeling for the magnitude, do you all have a "ball Park" number for the cost of front segments, front windows, rear segments and a worse case scenario for this project?

I'm not a repair expert so this may not be valid. But I think perhaps the insurance company has provided you with an estimate that the repairs on this 2014 would cost more than the price of a new 2014. The "ball park" number must be in the $30-50,000 range at least.

Sorry.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
If you would share some numbers like how much you are into this rig for would help. Looking at the pictures, my guess is that the frame may be bent too. I can't see how it could sustain that much damage and not be. Your best bet is probably to pull all the usable items out and either resell them or use them for a donor rig. Figure you have the wheels, tires, AC, water heater, furnace, fridge for starters. Plus all the windows that didnt get damaged and maybe that door as well. Those could be worth some bucks to offset the cost of what you paid.

Your initial post doesnt say whether you would be doing the work or not, but if you think you will get anywhere by farming out parts or all of it, then I would think again. Only way that these repairs are reasonable is when the owner puts in the sweat equity. Whether you try and fix it, move the parts over to another rig or just part it out and try and cover costs or make a few bucks, you will have a good amount of time involved. Good luck.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There are five curved upper segments and two curved lower segments on each end of the Airstream. The uppers cost between $1200 and $1500 each AT the factory, with no shipping. The two lowers cost $1300 each AT the factory. The center lower piece MIGHT be something you could use a flat piece for - but I think there is one bend about 2 inches below the window. So you're looking at $8600 for each end just for the outside segments. Then there's the work of putting the jigsaw puzzle back together again. (And I'm basing these prices on what I saw being charged 18 months ago.)

Right there should be a "put on the brakes" and don't dig yourself any deeper into a hole. Sorry. I'm praying you paid less than $5K for this unit. You MIGHT recoup a good chunk if you did. The aluminum itself might bring $300 - but the labor

I'll go back and look again, but even if the awning tube is bent - you might be able to sell the fabric (new isn't cheap), the tires and wheels should be good. The Fridge, Hob and over could be OK but the furnace and water heater must be safety tested before you unload them.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
repost - made changes and blew the 30 minute limit.

There are five curved upper segments and two curved lower segments on each end of the Airstream. The uppers cost between $1200 and $1500 each AT the factory, with no shipping. The two lowers cost $1300 each AT the factory. The center lower piece MIGHT be something you could use a flat piece for - but I think there is one bend about 2 inches below the window. I saw about three pieces that might be salvageable - so $7500 for each end just for the outside segments. and brace yourself the lower ones on the INSIDE ain't cheap either - the upper ones are a cheat hidden behind cupboards and can be made from a flat piece of aluminum stock. (The piece is an upside down "T" very short and fat... You'll understand if you pull down the cabinet.) Then there's the work of putting the jigsaw puzzle back together again. And I'm basing these prices on what I saw being charged 18 months ago. I'm vague on the cost of front curved windows but $750 each seems right - and you've lost both, and the Segment protectors were close to $400 each. The door is totally racked out of true, only the window is worth reusing - and again, I think I've heard of people paying $1200 for a door/screen combo replacement.

Right there should be a "put on the brakes" and don't dig yourself any deeper into a hole. Sorry. I'm praying you got this turd dirt cheap. You MIGHT recoup a good chunk if you did. The aluminum itself might bring $300 - Get out a sawzall and hack off what you can and toss the rest. Do salvage the unbroken windows - they're all costly. The Awning tube itself looks decent - it and the awning are valuable. The refrigerator could be good, ditto on the A/C and refrigerator, stove, furnace... but without being certified safe, you won't get more than a modest amount for them. IF the unit had upgraded fake leather cushions and they're not mildewed or damaged you could get a decent money for them. The converter could get $100, and sinks and fixtures - not super valuable but worth something. (If you've got a factory mattress... it's a cheapo, toss it. If someone paid for a Sealy - sell it!. The overhead cabinets don't really fit in the "old style" vintage units - but can be adapted, so you might want to store them and try to sell. Grab the lights out of the ceiling and overhead cabinets - lots of people will want those.

Last thing. Shipping these bulky and often fragile items is often cost prohibitive. Figure on selling as much locally as you can, but having to store a bunch of it for up to a year to unload. Get in touch with your closest WBCCI units and any Airstream only campgrounds, and of course decide what you will not ship. The appliances can work in an SOB (square old box) as well as in an Airstream. Oh, save the tail lights! Even the rear bumper only has one ding in it. That can be gently worked out to about 95% good. Someone with NO rear bumper might like it for $50. Wheels and Tires. Don't forget the spare.

Sorry I'm not close - you need to make an inventory and a plan to do the salvage - or just hide it in the back yard, and when the pickers come, let them do the work of pulling the windows, etc.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Shelby , North Carolina
I have done 2 salvage Airstreams but neither to the extent that you have. Both projects started with excitement and progressed to "why did I do this?" One required replacing the curbside aluminum from front to back. Not too bad since everything is relatively flat and straight. Cutting out for the door(required on the top piece of aluminum) is a bit nervy. Messing up a $500 piece of aluminum will ruin your day.
End caps require a little finesse. We also found and this is typical, there is more damage than we thought. Some things to look for: interior cabinets that don't line up or close, is the floor perfectly flat and level, rivets missing inside and a biggy--does the entry door open and close properly. Sometimes more damage is done pulling the rig out of a ditch or flipping it back on the wheels.
Axles are easy, making the aluminum inside and out look like it just left the factory is challenging. Removing the interior cabinets, etc is a 1 day job with a power drill and a helper, the systems are simple and straight forward, plumbing is available at Lowes. Other parts are pricy and only available from Airstream. Good luck
tbstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Shelby , North Carolina
Uh-oh, just saw the pics. This one is bad and way more than a handy-man wants to undertake. Again, we have repaired a few of these but not to this extent. Walk around the unit and count the sections that are damaged. Minimun $500 per section. Door with frame over 2k, stone guards $500 each, propane cover $500. Front windows with solar cover $3000, tor-flex axles $1000 each. Lights, windows, trim, propane tanks, awning parts...the list will be long and most of it available only through A/S. Interior panels are surely damaged as well. Multiple ribs and spars to replace. Molding--beltline and lower $1000 to wrap around the entire trailer. Overhead cabinets? Heavy damage to the corner with the shower??
I think an honest appraisal of the cost of parts alone should discourage repair. The 23FB is worth about 52k in perfect shape with a clean title. This one repaired to perfection..probably 40k and the likelihood of repairing it to perfection is low. Add your initial cost to the cost of parts and I bet it is real close to 40k. No easy solution at this point but its kinda like getting in a bar fight...sometimes a good run is better than a bad stand. Part her out and who knows, you might make a little money and a few new friends.
tbstill is offline   Reply With Quote