Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
2014 Airstream - Exterior maintenance plan with questions

I just purchased a lightly used 2014 25' Flying Cloud. Given the circumstances of the prior owners it has basically sat for its entire life. The original purchase date was October 2013 so I estimate that the trailer must be about a year old.

It already has some corrosion starting on the grab handle for the door as well as rust on the steel steps.

I want to get on top of things ASAP.

So here is the plan with some questions.

Griots Garage Paint Sealant. Applied by hand yearly after a good washing.

CorrosionX Aviation - Applied quarterly on all areas of existing aluminum corrosion. Do I use this prophylactic as well?

Boeshield T-9 - Applied semiannually or quarterly on all areas of steel that may rust. Frame, steps, etc.

Dupont Teflon dry lubricant - Semiannual lubrication of hinges such as exterior door hinges.

303 Marine UV Protectant
- Semiannually on the white roof.

Teflon Silicone Lubricant - As needed on window and hatch seals.

Adseal - Every three years on the fantastic fans and skylight? As I understand NOT the air conditioner.

What about doors and windows? Aluminum skin joints and rivets?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You're on the right track for sure. Use the CorrosionX as a preventive barrier anywhere the pre-coated aluminum shell panels have been cut to fit, all edges of this. That includes rivets holding the shell panels because the panels have been drilled for the rivets, it will soak under the rivets. Also apply to all metal exterior fittings, hinges, taillights, handles. The door grab bar will need frequent protection because it is used constantly.

Use the 303 UV Protectant on any plastic, fiberglass, sealant, and seals to protect them from the sun, I'm not aware of the need for aluminum roof panel protection.

Apply the Adseal to replace sealant you have removed because of deterioration. That depends on exposure to the elements.

Constant exposure to bright sun will speed sealant, plastic deterioration so your climate and storage will be the factor to consider for frequency of treatment.. If you spend time at the coast or tow through winter road salt you will need much more frequent corrosion protection than if you live and play in the desert.

We allow no road salt exposure and have not been parked on the coast so we inspect the trailer condition and system operation quarterly, and apply CorrosionX to the shell on that schedule, as well as exterior hinges for protection and lubrication.

Wash at least quarterly to start the inspection, and follow as you wipe it dry with acrylic touch-up pen on the tiny nicks that you will see. Paint any nicks in the steel. Wax with any high quality polish, and apply Boeshield T-9 to the underbody steel annually.

As part of this inspection use a Moisture Detection Meter all around the interior perimeter to poke through the vinyl floor covering into the plywood subfloor to look for moisture, which means you have a shell leak to find and fix (most probably a door hinge, awning support bracket, pano window sealant, loose window latch, storage compartment door). You can also check the wood floor inside the storage compartments by taking loose a few screws that hold the base trim, and you will see a gap between the aluminum floor plate and exterior wall; probe for moisture there. When it's good and dark outside, turn on interior and storage compartment lights to look all around the outside for gaps in the door, window, and compartment seals, tighten latches as needed.

The exterior window and door frames and their rivets don't seem to have the corrosion problems as the pre-coated shell panels. Quality polish or wiping with CorrosionX ought to protect them.

You will learn your own methods and frequency of inspections/treatment as you go along. It is very easy to do. It works for us. Three years and no corrosion anywhere. Plenty of tiny nicks touched up. Found and fixed five leaks, each at different inspection intervals; when the new trailer was delivered there were none.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
For the Griots paint sealant consider getting their 6" Orbital unit. Also Griot's washing fluid and I also use their Spray and Wax every couple of months.

Griot's products have become my staple for the AS and my cars. Great stuff.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Silicone on the awning arms

Don't forget to apply liberal amounts of silicone spray to the awning arms periodically so they extend and retract smoothly.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
To keep things simple, after applying CorrosionX for protection of the shell, we also use it to lubricate awning arms, door and hatch hinges and latch assemblies. Excellent lubricant and adds corrosion protection to these components. Also spray and wipe down the ProPride hitch assembly with it, and lube the stinger box for easy hookup.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
CorrosionX or CorrosionX Aviation?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
CorrosionX or CorrosionX Aviation?
I have used both, not sure there's much difference in effectiveness. Ordered the Aviation variety last time because of the similarity of shell and fuselage construction. Another member likes CorrosionX HD (heavy duty) because it is thicker, doesn't run. He has found it effective to protect the underbody, rather than Boeshield T9.

The important thing is to provide and maintain a protective barrier between the unfinished aluminum edges, rivet holes, fittings and underbody steel and the environmental salts and moisture than cause corrosion. These products do a decent job of that.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Pennington , New Jersey
Will the warranty be voided if all this is done??

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
patentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentguy View Post
Will the warranty be voided if all this is done??

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I doubt it seeing Airstream sells these products in their store and uses them in their Service Center. Call Airstream Customer service.

I used my moisture meter to find moisture in my floor then took it to Airstream Service Center for warranty repair of the leaks.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Scott, these are corrosion and leak preventative measures we use on our trailer. Adjust them to suit your particular climate, use, and location. Keep us posted for any new items you may have learned. Note that Airstream also has a list of periodic maintenance items in the Owners Manual which are needed.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Thanks all. Great tips.

And yes, I need to review the owner's manual thoroughly.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
How does one apply CorrosionX to the body? Just spray it on the seams/rivets and then wipe it off?

Thanks for the information.

Bob