Old 11-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
2011 Flying Cloud 28' Factory A/C Install Question

Dear Fellow AS Owners,

I'm 2nd owner on a 2011 FC 28' and bought it about a year old. I knew the previous owner and recall him complaining about some dripping inside the cabin from the A/C - I do know he only kept the unit about a year before he traded it up for an International.

Fast Forward 11/15 > I'm in New Orleans last week and it rained like nobody's business. I then drove to Houston where the trailer is now stationed for the winter. I sometimes run the fan on low just to keep background noise out.

In the middle of the night, the unit stopped working. After some research and getting an EE message on the thermostat and calling Dometic, I called a repair tech. They concluded that the A/C drip pan isn't like what he'd ever seen before (a single cup (existing) vs dual cup (which should have been installed at factory) and silicone or gasket sealant instead of a gasket.

After troubleshooting, the tech found the circuit board fried from water and he's ordered a new one, a new gasket, and a new thermostat because he says they don't make the 5 button any longer.

I believe the company doing the repairs to be competent and provided me with an honest assessment of work that needs to be done.

I've asked the tech to take pictures as he does the repairs - I know it will be somewhat labor intensive as he says it will take awhile to scrape away all the silicone and sealant around the roof where the A/C goes.

Wondering if any words of advice on what you might say to Airstream? It seems to me they must've cut corners or used the single drip unit when they didn't have stock of the dual cup drain unit and why in the world would they not install the A/C unit without a gasket?

Thank You,

Ken Tuvman
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote