Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
2008 safari sport front window leak,warped rock guard

i can not find a airtreamer with the same problem...in heavy rain,water gets traped between rockguard and front window,moves into the weep holes,floods the small gutter,drips along the wall where the bed is,floods the floor under the bed...the lexon solar stone guard is warped inwards...but does not seem to be the problem.
I observed also that when guard is open,water seeps in and sits in the window gutter...i have been sealing all around the sides,i will remove the guard and seal the top....but still..how do i prevent the rain to come in and sit between the window and the guard????
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
i can not find a airtreamer with the same problem...in heavy rain,water gets traped between rockguard and front window,moves into the weep holes,floods the small gutter,drips along the wall where the bed is,floods the floor under the bed...the lexon solar stone guard is warped inwards...but does not seem to be the problem.
I observed also that when guard is open,water seeps in and sits in the window gutter...i have been sealing all around the sides,i will remove the guard and seal the top....but still..how do i prevent the rain to come in and sit between the window and the guard????
It sounds like the gap in the gasket is at the top of the rock guard, instead of the bottom. There should be a 1/2" gap at the bottom, to allow water to run out. If it's at the top, water can easily get in, but the rubber gasket acts as a dam to keep it in. The solution is to remove the gasket, and re-install it with that gap at the bottom, where it will let the water out.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
there never was a gasket on top....i am the 3rd owner,the two previous ones did some strange things to it,or never addressed some issues....where do i get a piece of gasket???on line one has to get yards of it,and then what size???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2259.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	262182  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i contacted Colonial Airstream in N.J.they assured me that the gasket is not supposed to be on top....that when they come across this problem ,they recommend cutting a half inch section out of the bottom gasket on the left and the right to allow the water to drain out.....

then my question is, how does the water come in in the first place???
i hope this info can help other people....M
Old 05-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Had the same problem. We're the 2nd owner, knew the first, and she hadn't done a prior replacement. Ours was also starting to disintegrate, so we ordered a new one from Camper Clinic II near Austin. I will tell you that the gasket was not solid across the top, and there was no space at the bottom to allow drainage on the old. We cut the new the same way, and we have simply taken to not securing the bottom so water can drain through all the time. That solves water coming in through the seep holes at the sill. We still had a leak, but ours was coming through the light fixture above the banquette. We re-sealed all of the front seams above the window, and no problem in the past year....and we've had some serious rain! Good luck.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
i contacted Colonial Airstream in N.J.they assured me that the gasket is not supposed to be on top....that when they come across this problem ,they recommend cutting a half inch section out of the bottom gasket on the left and the right to allow the water to drain out.....

then my question is, how does the water come in in the first place???
i hope this info can help other people....M
The water comes in the top, where there is no gasket...