Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
2008 23 fb used - what service would you do

We bought our trailer used from colonial two seasons ago and recently had the tires checked. They still have plenty of wear on them

What general service would you do when we take it out of storage this year to ensure it is operable and safe?

Brake inspection?
Wheel bearing repack?

I'd love to get input on what should be done to maintain it.

Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
It's always a great idea to check the wheels, brakes and bearings at the start of the season, or when it's sat for a while. Do you know when they were last serviced? There really isn't a lot of other 'wear' items, so any other service is going to be going over the systems and making sure everything is working. You might want to do a load-test on the battery(s) if they are a few years old, check the expiry dates on your propane tanks to make sure they can be refilled, lubricate any moving bits with your favourite lube.

I like to use a silicone product on all rubber trim, as the window trim on Airstreams can get sticky and seal against your windows... open them all up and use a rubber-safe lube. GM makes a handy product that comes in a bottle with a wand-type applicator. I'm sure there are lots of options.

You'll want to flush the freshwater tank, and maybe the grey/black as well if you didn't put it away reasonably clean.

Give it a wash, check the caulking around and vents/fans on the roof. If there is any expansion/contraction or drying, this is where you're going to see a leak first. The exterior seams are pretty good, but double check for any separation. Check your interior rivets to see if any have 'popped'. Not a big deal, just drill them out and replace them if needed.

You might want to pull out any awnings, check them, and apply your favourite fabric protector. Check all the lights, and look for moisture in the lenses which could be a cracked seal. Not usually an issue either... they are plastic.

Hmmm... what else?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
We bought our trailer used from colonial two seasons ago and recently had the tires checked. They still have plenty of wear on them

What general service would you do when we take it out of storage this year to ensure it is operable and safe?

Brake inspection?
Wheel bearing repack?

I'd love to get input on what should be done to maintain it.

Thanks!
Hi, checking the brakes and wheel bearings is a good idea especially if you haven't had it done since you bought it. Check the tires really well for cracking, odd wear, odd shapes and bubbles. Re-balance your tires while you have them off and install a set of Centramatics because factory drums are not balanced. My batteries only last about three years so I would keep that in mind. On the roof look for signs of sealant cracking around your roof vents and your tank vent, these are known for leaking and should be re-sealed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If your trailer has a skylight, check it carefully for deterioration and cracks near the mounting holes. Check around the windows for signs of leaking, check the plumbing, and consider replacing the batteries. Our battery is 3 years old, and I will be replacing it at the end of this camping season. Repack wheel bearings, carefully inspect the brakes and tires.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
When you checked the tire tread did you also check the manufacturing date code? Its not unusual for tires to be "old" when installed. Very few TTs get enough miles to actually wear out the tread before other problems are indicated.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful. When we bought the trailer used, it did not come with a service history so now that it is 4 years old, I was starting to think the battery, wheel bearings, and tires may need to be replaced or repacked. The other items, I didn't think about so this is very helpful!

I am always big on maintaining my cars (my dad taught me well!) but less sure about the regular maintenance required on an airstream.

We havent had any issues with our AS and I'd like to keep it that way...

Sandy
Old 06-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bentonville , Arkansas
Centramatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, checking the brakes and wheel bearings is a good idea especially if you haven't had it done since you bought it. Check the tires really well for cracking, odd wear, odd shapes and bubbles. Re-balance your tires while you have them off and install a set of Centramatics because factory drums are not balanced. My batteries only last about three years so I would keep that in mind. On the roof look for signs of sealant cracking around your roof vents and your tank vent, these are known for leaking and should be re-sealed.
Robert, are you happy with the Centramatics? I'm missing a lot of belly pan rivets and I think these might help.
Harley Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Rider View Post
Robert, are you happy with the Centramatics? I'm missing a lot of belly pan rivets and I think these might help.
Hi, yes I am happy with my Centramatics. Knowing that these will take care of the, not balanced brake drums, and give the trailer a smoother ride that won't shake it to pieces. Install them, and forget about them, nothing else to do.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
ThAnks, everyone. THis was a great list. Had my wheel bearings repacked and brakes inspected. Found one broken brake assembly so had that fixed. Tires were good. Washed and inspected the AS and seals still good. Getting ready to do the silicone on the rubber - great idea!

Really appreciate the input. Hope it benefits someone else.