Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #1

2004 22' Interstate
Idyllwild , California
2004 interstate airstream difficult to open side door

Perhaps there is a trick of which I am unaware, but our large side compartment door is very difficult for me to open. We typically leave the side door open a bit when we are stopped and camping due to my dependence upon my husband to get it open for me. Can anyone lend some advice? Do I need to push on it while I am using both interior and exterior handles? Thanks for your tip in advance.
ddarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There weren't Interstates in 2004, I don't believe, so not sure which model you are talking about.

You should be able to open from the inside or the outside.

I would suggest you contact a dealership and speak with someone in the service department.

Maggie

On edit...there were, indeed, Interstates with 2004 model years, so I apologize for that.

I open my door by pulling out on the handle and pushing hard toward the rear. Unless your lock or the door is broken, that should do it.

Might drop by a Dodge service center and someone will likely show you at no charge.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarcy View Post
Perhaps there is a trick of which I am unaware, but our large side compartment door is very difficult for me to open. We typically leave the side door open a bit when we are stopped and camping due to my dependence upon my husband to get it open for me. Can anyone lend some advice? Do I need to push on it while I am using both interior and exterior handles? Thanks for your tip in advance.
The sliding side door on a Sprinter van is very heavy compared to a smaller van, and it takes a bit of force to open or close. Nothing to be done about that.

It is possible for either the outside door handle or the inside door handle to come loose from the latching mechanism— it has happened with the inside handle on mine— but since your husband can operate the door and you can't, I don't think that's your problem.

When opening the door from inside, it can help to press outward on the middle of the door with your right hand while operating the door handle with your left.

When closing the door from inside, grabbing the handle with both hands and twisting your torso while slamming the door shut can give you better leverage. And when shutting the door, always slam it. Trust me, the door can take it.

When opening the door from outside, pull out and to the left while standing to the left of the handle, so you're pulling the door toward you. That gives you the best leverage by taking advantage of your body weight.

When closing the door from outside, stand in front of the opening so that you're pulling the door toward you, and as the door comes close to the closed position, also use your left hand to press on the middle of the door to push it into position. Again, always slam it shut.

For someone who is not very strong, opening and closing the sliding door will always require both hands.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Don't remember how but there were several adjustments to those doors. We had ours fixed at a Dodge deaker, butbthatvwas yearscago when we owned it. Try lubing the hinges etc on the left side looking at the door. Hope this helps. Ours always required two hands to open and close. Slamming it shut only made it worse.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote