Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Greg,
Yes, I'm very lucky. I procrastinated until late afternoon, if I had gone back the next morning to get the AS it would have been a total lost.
Thanks, Glen

Vinnie,

Maybe we're getting somewhere, after going down this morning (Sunday) I checked the wires on the gear box. I had the white, black with red stripe, orange, green (the orange and green was reversed on mine) then I had the round white dial with the slot to turn it. Then I had the no wire terminial, then the black and red. I couldn't get to the box with my multi reader in the small space without removing the box from the front wall, so I used the test light.

Here is what happened, I clamped the black wire with the clip and touched the black wire, the light lit up. Then I touched each other wire at the box and my wife pressed the in/out switch and nothing happened. This may be because I didn't test it with the milti meter. (Low voltage)

I removed the switches from the wall and grouned the black wire with the clip from my test light and touched one leg of the in/out switch and heard a bump from the motor.

I then looked at the black box and saw that I had been turning the white dial clockwise to min. and should have turned it counter clockwise towards max. I have two switches one for the locking arms and one for the in/out. I attached the test light wire to the ground of the locking arm switch and touched the point of the test light again to the other switch "IN/Out". When I touched it to one side of the in/out switch the slideout would go out, and I touched it to the other side of the in/out switch and it would go in.

Do you think it could be a bad switch? After getting home I got to thinking maybe it could be a ground wire that needs to jump to the slideout switch from the locking arm switch.

I think we are getting close to having it figured out.

I sure wish mine was as easy to get to as yours! Maybe next time I'll remember to take a picute of the front cabinets to send you.
Glen

Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hi Glen,

You are getting close. What we do know it that the motors are fine. We also know or assume that the wiring from the switch to the motors is intact and fine. Remember that the control unit has those 5 volt reference signals measured when tested. I wonder too that by touching the switch with your test light its becoming a switch itself. What if you mark the wires coming off the switch, remove them and use your Ohm meter to see what the switch does when you measure across the terminals and press the switch? Did you remove the switch off the wall mount? Is it just in there with screws? Maybe i can test mine to see what it does and how it behaves when i ohm read it. What if you press a bit harder on the switch incase it has a bad spot in it? Is the switch coming apart, like the plastic tabs broken causing the guts of the switch to come apart? maybe a good visual check will provide some information. The cheapest thing to try would be a switch before a control unit. If it were me i would be pulling that switch apart to see what makes it tick. Only do that if you feel confident on putting it back together. Your real close now glen.

Once we figure out how that switch works it should determine what direction to go. Now you mentioned that the amperage adjustment was being turned to minimum. I had to crank mine up about a half a turn. Did you try that? What were the results?

Let me know.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Vinnie,
I did remove the screws off of the switch plate to get the switch out of the wall. Then I could unpluged one of the wires from the switch to see if it was getting good contact.(I should have tested all of the wires) I moved all of the wires on the switch back and forth and then pushed the switch button and it worked, both in and out. I put the switch back in the wall and it wouldn't work again. The switch is not broken or coming apart, I will like you said test it with the ohm meter. I hope with it working for a minute that it may be the switch or loose wire on the switch and I 'll try pushing harder on the switch. If I remember there was 4 wires on the S/O switch color coded.

Maybe I should check the orange and green wire on the control box for the 5 volts if I can get to it.

Thanks, Glen
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glen,

It sounds like no only did you and i learn abit about the slide operation but figured out the problem. Either you have a bad switch.. loose terminal at the switch or bad crimp to the terminal that connects to the switch. Let me know what fixed it.

Thanks Vinnie

Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Vinnie,

I was wrong about the four wires going to the switch, there was only three. The orange and green coming from the control box. The 3rd wire was purple with a black stripe which I guess is going to the slide out motor. There is a loose terminal at the switch which the purple wire connects too. I checked the orange and green wire at the switch with my multi tester and both have 5 volts. I have tested the switch set on the Ohm setting, I touched one lead to where the orange terminal connects and the other where the green wire connects then pressed the switch nothing happened on the meter. I hope this is the correct way. The only thing is I may have to order the switch from the switch from the airstream dealer. I am going to go to the local Fleetwood rv dealer first and see if they have one.

I'll let you know if this works.

Glen
Old 12-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Sounds great!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Vinnie, I don't know what to check next, I had the switch check by a friend with a good Ohm meter and it checked out good. I went back and hooked the wire to the switch and it slid out and back in, I put the switch back in the wall and it wouldn't work again. I check the wires under the slide out and every thing looked good. If I jump from the ground of the locking arm switch to the fourth terminal of the slide out switch it works great. But I know its supposed to work without jumping a ground to that switch. (It always has) I guess the switch could be bad even though it does check out good?

Glen
Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Glen,

I havent removed my switch yet to check it. Are you telling me that the switch requires a ground to activate the slide? I have been trying to understand this in my head. When you have the switch out of the wall and the wiring hooked up it works.. or do you have to have some kind of ground wire hooked to the switch housing to make it work.. and then when you reinstall it and remove the external ground it doesnt work?? Sounds crazy unless the switch requires a ground.. and if thats the case is it not getting it through the metal it screwed into? I will remove mine tonight when i get home from work and take a peek.

Vinnie

Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Vinnie,

I have found that the problen is not the switch, it does have to have a ground to activate the slide. Jim at airstream tech had told me the white wire (ground) goes to the slide out switch. My S/O switch has the purple wire going to it, it should go to the latching arm switch. When I put the white wire to the S/O switch it works great, now the purple wire I moved to the latch switch, that switch doesn't work now. I think the problem is in the purple wire, it seems not to be making ground when you push the switch. I can jump wire to the switch from the white wire and both switches work. I don't want to leave it like this becauce I know its not right. I have no idea where this purple wire goes from the switch to check it. If I can find where the purple wires goes maybe we car fix this problem.

Thanks,Glen
Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glen,

Im not sure im going to be of any help. I dont have the purple wire as i dont have the electric locks. My slide is one of the first and it uses mechanical locks against the wall. I like mechanical but yours is more convenient thats for sure. We have learned so much about these slides now. You might try running a new wire incase that has an open somewhere. If it goes down the wall to the opening where the control unit is you might be able to disconnect one of the wires from the switch and pull a string down the wall with the wire and then you have a tool to bring new wires up and down the wall. Easier said than done sometimes but i have been successful before. Just make sure it doesnt hang up on the wiring end somewhere in a small opening or pass through.

Good luck and let me know what you have found.

Vinnie

Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Thumbs up

Vinnie,

I want to thank you for all of the help you gave in helping to slove this problem. I'm sure we are not the only ones that will have the same problems with the slide outs. The help you gave will surely help someone else. I printed a copy of the wiring check list to put in my owners manual in case I have this problem again. I also want to thank Jim at Airstream Tech for helping with this. I called him again this morning and he walked me through the wiring at the switches again. Jim said it had to be a grounding problem. It seems that the wiring running to the switches was not right. I moved the white ground wire that is supposed to connect to the S/O switch, but had been attached to the paddle latch switch. I then connected the purple wire from the S/O switch to the paddle latch switch. Even when I switched the wires the reverse happend, the S/O would work and the paddle latch wouldn't. I tested all the wires at the switches and all were getting volts. Even with removing the purple wire many times from the switches I knew it had to be that wire not getting ground. I cleaned the connectors that connect to the switches, them crimped them so I had to force them to connect on to the switches. It seems to be working again.

Again, thanks to all for there suggestions,

Glen
Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glen,

Awesome.. I help you.. you help someonelse and so it goes... The air forums..

Best of luck.

Vinnie

ps.. What is your production date? My trailer was built 1/17/2001. I heard that mine was very early production..Just wondering about yours.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Vinnie,

The Mfg. date on mine is 10/17/00, I never new that, its titled as a 2001. We are attaching photos for you to see, one is on the left side where the cabinet door is open. This is the opeining I was having to get into reach the converter and gear box. Its not as big as it looks in the photo.

Thanks, Glen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment[1].jpg
Views:	62
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	72487   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment[2].jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	72488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment[3].jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	72489   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment[4].jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	72490  

Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow.. maybe yours is actually one of the first few built?? She is beautiful! im so glad it all worked out and the flooding was never an issue. Keep her safe.

Take care

Vinnie