Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
1979 Sovereign Intl. Roof Damage?

Ok, so DW and I adopted a new project.. But it's a BIG one for a first time team. We are sure we can handle it, but will for sure need advice and help from our fellow streamers on the board.. This poor baby was slated to become a shed, then the fellow decided it was too complete for that, and put it up for sale.

1st question I want to ask is in referance to this "dent" in the roof. A ice covered limb broke from a tree and fell onto(and through) the roof over the living room area. I am sure removing 10 feet or so of exterior skin and most of the interior in that area is what it will take to get to the actual damage, then an assesment of rib damage etc will be conducted.

If needed, where would one find ribs for a trailer of this vintage? can one get just repair hoops that scab in, or will complete rib replacement be the only option?

As I know, pictures are the key to being able to help, so here are a few..

OK, so there's the first look.. I am building an album over at photobucket to document the process of the repairs etc. needed to get us camping. We have already ordered seals for all the windows and parts to get the steps back to working properly, and in a mad fit of cleaning overload this morning (litteraly inches of rodentia dooty in the bedroom, we found the rear window has leaked a "bit" and the entire rear floor is rotted out about 6" in from the wall.. so next task will be that repair) I was actually worried about the hydroscopic properties of the dooty, but the floor where that all was at is pretty good. Shag carpet must be a good dooty insulator.

Mark and Sue.

Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Having trouble with the pictures, so here are a couple interior (I hope)

Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
That's going to be a bit of a job. The first challenge is going to be taking things apart to be able to see what was damaged how.

If the ribs did not get twisted too far, you might be able to bend them back into shape. I used big water pump pliers for the twist and a hydraulic jack to lift back into shape on a couple of ribs.

Airstream dealers should be able to order you new ribs. These are simple Z channel bent to the proper shape with no accommodations for stringers or wiring. They seem intended for cutting to serve partial rib replacement needs (although I have a 75 Sovereign that needs 2 complete ribs due to a snow dump on the roof).

Then there is the stretched aluminum issue -

Have fun.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote