Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
saint augustine , Florida
Rivet 1979 Argosy Armstrong AC replacement

my AC is giving me fits (mostly tripping the breakers) i believe its the compressor finally giving up the ghost. after reviewing the various threads on this issue, I'm torn between reconditioning the unit (ei. compressor) or simply starting over with a new one. i'm thinking about the MACH 8. anyone have a clue what might be the best fit for me . The current unit is the Amrstrong TR25-10.another note, if the unit is simply running low volts (thereby spiking the amps) what can be done about that?

thanks for your replies
happypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
It is simple to check voltage while the AC is running. Just plug a multi meter into any 120v outlet in the trailer. If your voltage is under 110v try another electric source before you assume the unit is bad.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1979 Argosy armstrong AC replacement

Greetings happypill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypill View Post
my AC is giving me fits (mostly tripping the breakers) i believe its the compressor finally giving up the ghost. after reviewing the various threads on this issue, I'm torn between reconditioning the unit (ei. compressor) or simply starting over with a new one. i'm thinking about the MACH 8. anyone have a clue what might be the best fit for me . The current unit is the Amrstrong TR25-10.another note, if the unit is simply running low volts (thereby spiking the amps) what can be done about that?

thanks for your replies
I would encourage you to consider at least exploring the repairs needed on your Armstrong air conditioner. I wish that I had known to do that on my Overlander as its Armstrong air conditioner was better at cooling and quieter than the Coleman Mach 3 that was its replacement. My Armstrong experienced trouble in 1997 before there was anything similar to Airforums, and I was at the mercy of RV technicians who knew nothing of Armstrong air conditioners and their ability to be rebuilt for years of faithful service.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Big rock , Tennessee
Can you post a pic of your Armstrong unit ? I'm trying to figure out what unit I have on my 79 AS
Woodweavil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

1975 24' Argosy 24
Madison , North Carolina
Hi Guys. I have a '75 Argosy Motorhome that I recently scored and it has an Armstrong TR25-12 AC unit that was working great and very quiet. It rather suddenly stopped cooling but the Compressor kept running. I pulled the inside cover and the fan is already clean. Looks good. Same as under the top cover. I am assuming it needs R-22 added since the compressor runs as well as the fan, and starts fine, but I have not been able to find any A/C guys that are willing to even have a go at it.

I would like to stay original. Brand new things tend to last as long as my current cell phone. I would really like to keep from pulling the unit.....anyone have an idea on weight? If I had it off the MH I know I could get the system leak checked and filled.

Am I wrong to rule out the capacitors because the compressor is running? I have not even checked them. They are just start up caps, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (4) of IMG-20140426-00597.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	214139  
Spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I just got the Armstrong unit on my 78 Trade Wind topped up with R-22 (a few ounces) this morning. It had the same symptoms as yours. There's a suction tap with a Schraeder valve that sticks out the back when you pull off the shroud.

You might check the core on the Schraeder valve; mine was two turns loose.

I had the guy that services my home AC do it; he says he stays away from RVs because the systems are usually junk. If you can find some R-22 and a gauge set, it's not difficult to do yourself.

I checked Craigslist for R-22, and all I could find was 30# jugs.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Commercial refrigeration guys are good bet. I had mine repaired by a buddy that worked for such a company. Cost me a 6 pack. The Armstrong is very repairable, just have to find the right person to work on it.

The new RV units are basically disposable, unlike the Armstrong. It can be repaired.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here is a thread that may interest you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76432

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #9

1975 24' Argosy 24
Madison , North Carolina
Thanks for the link, and advice. I finally got an AC guy talked into having a look. He hooked up the gauges and found no pressure while the compressor was running. I would have preferred for him to at least hook the tank to it but he was satisfied that the compressor was bad.

So, Out of Doors Mart is less than an hour from me. New Coleman 13k installed for around $1100. Taking it over to them in about a week. I will be keeping the Armstrong and repairing/ rebuilding it sometime before the new one goes out. I do not have much faith in anything "brand new", but it is the quickest way to get it fixed.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry, but i've gotta call bull-dookie on your a/c guy. There's only one port, on the suction side, so he only hooked up one gauge. Without reading both suction and discharge, the actual condition of the compressor is still unknowable.

By far the most common failure mode for a compressor is electrical. Since the compressor was running, i'm saying it's still good.

Check the Schrader valve on the suction test port. Mine was two turns loose. That was the cause of the Freon leak and the lack of cooling. You could be 8 ounces of R-22 away from saving $1100.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #11

1975 24' Argosy 24
Madison , North Carolina
I agree with you Dr Boyd, but it took me a month to get this 1 AC guy to even have a look, and I couldn't talk him into hooking his tank to it. I gave up. I'm not going anywhere in the summer without AC, and I have some trips to make. Got to get it fixed.

When I get the Armstrong in my hands I can get someone to recharged it. I'll mount it in my garage, and when the new one goes out, hopefully by then I'll have a friend that can help me reinstall the original. Fairly new to the area and I just haven't got anyone capable of helping to pull the unit else it would have already been removed.

So for now, I'm taking the easy option since I am so close to a reputable Airstream dealer. And they do not deal with R22....replacement is their option. Thanks for the advice guys.