Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2002, 01:50 PM   #1
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
1978 Sovereign Sag???

Hi. I am waiting to get my new to me '78 AS Sovereign. The former owner has had it for 15 years and wants one last trip to the Rodeo in it. When I asked about keeping it caulked and sealed he said AS trailers don't need caulking because they don't leak. He says this is his third one and he has been a lifetime AS owner. The unit has been kept in one of the rainiest places in the US for fifteen years and there is no sign to me of leaks. But my perusing of the various forums shows folks talking about caulking windows and so forth. What's up with this? I see no signs of water leakage in the unit. We looked in every cupboard and drawer. It smells great. Any advice? I have been reading this thread on sagging and wondered if this is a problem in the '78s. The bathroom in this model is almost midway with the bedroom in the back. The bathroom is on one sde with the storrage cupboards on the other. The former owner is a mechanic and kept up the unit himself. Everything works and looks and smells good. What do you think I may have missed? I am a very unexperienced trailer owner, but this one sure looks great. We have another two or three weeks to delivery and plenty of time to take a second look.

JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
New owner

JLD,
As much and as hard as we wish AS's are not immune to leaks and recaulking, as you say you have 2 weeks to find out as much information as you can and your off to a good start. Being a center bath you probably dont have the sag problem to see if you do look just behind the wheel well and see if the skin is bulging out any, if not your ok. Ask us any questions you need. Good luck.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #3

Thumbs up Sovereign 1978 31feet

Hi
I love mine 31" Sovereign 1978. I got mine in Florida in 2001 and towed to Toronto,Ontario, Canada. and yes I have a very littel buy littel leak, but here the winter are really hard. I have the original manual for mine that is the same you have the one the have the sofa bed in front and the two rears beds in the back. The bathroom is on the door side and infront are the three closet doors..
If you want the manual let me know I can photocopy it for you and send. just let me know the address.
my mail is
skydiver68@hotmail.com

Javier
Jaiver is offline   Reply With Quote