Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
During my 20 Year service in the U.S. Navy, we had to routinely use equipment and materials that were in some cases older than we were. Age and serviceability are apples and oranges. How well it was maintained and the severity of its use all factor into it's longevity. Why did the part fail?.....That will determine whether it should be replaced with an upgrade. For the purist, the joy of finding the source of the malfunction and the correct replacement is a labor of research, and love. There are many people that want to do things the quick way. That's OK. I personally prefer to keep my equipment is as close to original as is feasible. I never had to surrender. That includes the door latch on my 78 Sovereign. Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock used rifles that were still in use into the 90's, 20 years after the USA pulled out of VietNam. I had the opportunity to handle and shoulder one of them. It certainly was old, and had repairs, but in the right hands, was just as lethal, and functioned flawlessly. As far as new cuss words, not going to happen. I have an OLD Airstream by choice. It's going to need more attention and care than a new AS, but therein lies the beauty of it. Its a hobby, a way of life, and its rewards are greater than the frustration. The day my heart fails to stir when I walk outside, and step inside my AS, I will sell it. Pimples , dimples and all. Thanks. I appreciate and enjoy reading your posts.
It's all good. You asked "why", there it is.
You wrote a very valid point.

Military peoples minds usually work some what different than just people. It's that far out training that does it.

Thank you for willingly giving time to our military.

It's folks like you, the keeps the rest of us safe, and going.

I am also one, that appreciates to this day, what I learned in the Air Force, even though it was doing research.

Andy

Old 11-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have always been amazed at what I learned to do in the Navy, the Boy Scouts, and life in general.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I have always been amazed at what I learned to do in the Navy, the Boy Scouts, and life in general.

There are those "poor me" people, and the there are those that got a firm grip of their butt when they were kids, and set goals for themselves that they never reached.

How can that be??

Never reach your goals.

Set them, yes.

When you start getting close to them, raise them another notch or two.

Learning, in an agressive way, makes us stay up to date, and sometimes even better, and best of all, it keeps us young, at least mentally.

One of the best parts of life, is doing things others say "you can't do that".

Bet me!!!

Andy
Old 11-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Always learning new stuff keeps the mind active. One of these days I need to buy you a cup of coffee.

Never been in the "poor me" mindset, nor are my kids. I'm sure I can do darn near anything, except fix the crack of dawn, when I put my mind to it. I just avoid the early morning hours.....we are all night persons.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Smile

Andy,
Thanks for the kind words. I am just a regular guy that was blessed with some skill sets that put me in the place to be a small part of the big picture. The men and women that were under my care were singularly responsible for my achievements. I trained them and let them go. They knew what the standard was and it was hard. And it wasn't until not too long ago that we were persona non grata. A word of Thanks means so much more to me. Thanksgiving isn't just a season but it should be a lifestyle. Not only for the military servants, but for each other. I sincerely thank you for your service to Our Nation. I could say something cute about Air Force Intel is an oxymoron, but I wont. We all need each other. That's what I love about this forum. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Well almost anyways. Airstreaming is an exceptional and great part of our culture that has endured the test of time. I am certain that I am not the only person that gets giddy when an airstream passes by. I do believe that Airstreams are the origin of "rubbernecking". Really.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There are those "poor me" people, and the there are those that got a firm grip of their butt when they were kids, and set goals for themselves that they never reached.

How can that be??

Never reach your goals.

Set them, yes.

When you start getting close to them, raise them another notch or two.

Learning, in an agressive way, makes us stay up to date, and sometimes even better, and best of all, it keeps us young, at least mentally.

One of the best parts of life, is doing things others say "you can't do that".

Bet me!!!

Andy
Andy,
I truly hope you had a wonderful Christmas and will have a Great New Year. As a post script to this thread, the Keeler parts that I need for my 78 Sovereign are now available through VTS. There is a beefed up casting for the outside latch, a bolt assembly that is reinforced in a way that will prevent failures as did the original. They also have NOS lock cylinders. The only remaining part is the inside handle On top of that, while looking at a junk shop I spotted a near new Bargman L-100 complete with key for 10 dollars. It works beautifully.
I would like to encourage all to never give up when you're after a dream. You never know what awaits along the way. All I need now is the inside handle, and it will be better than new.
Thanks friend.
Clayton
Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #21
Jim&Teach

1976 31' Sovereign
Portage , Indiana
door lock

Just bought a '76 Sovereign this summer. Trying to collect any and all information. Great forum. Would like to know how the dead bolt project goes. Jim&Teach
Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #22
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
When I get it done I will post some pictures. Thanks

Tags
sovereign