Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Cornersville , Tennessee
1978 Argosy missing bathroom roof vent?

Hey Airstream people! I've been reading here for a while but it's time to start posting!

I just bought my first Argosy… a 1978 24' with double bed in the center. I'm in the process of remodeling it to live full-time. I'm going to have a lot of questions (I have a few already), but right now I have one that's pretty urgent.

Over the bathroom there is a vent… or more accurately it's a hole right now. There is a large metal tube going out the roof and on the inside the hole is just covered with what looks like a regular floor type register cover (no way to close it). I'm going to get it covered with a piece of plastic for now to keep the water out that's trying to ruin my subfloor, but I need to replace whatever was there… I'm just not sure what that was.

Would it be a Fantastic vent type product? Or am I possibly just missing a cap for what is already there? I know this is vague, I don't have a picture today but I'll try to post one tomorrow to give you a better idea. Until then, thanks for any help you might be able to offer!
SnazzyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I would Probably get a ventline Vanair vent to go back in there. It's larger, you can find parts for it, and it aill move more air than the little fan that was there.
You can get them at almost any rv parts place.
Being able to do basic metal cutting will be a must for it.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Cornersville , Tennessee
Thanks Overlander! I looked that up and found it to be a bit cheaper than the solution I had already found, but the metal cutting part might slow down my ability to install it by myself… I'm open to it, but this is the other option I found, which seems to be a pretty exact replacement for what I had, will it be less effective you think?

12V Air-Powered Roof Vent

(Am I allowed to post links?)
SnazzyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
That is the same vent as I have in my 1987 Excella - the fan on original one failed and the new one was installed as a direct replacement when I was at the mothership (JC). It is a standard part for them.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote