Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mechanicsville , Virginia
NO there are no leaks just badly stained wood......really. The windows all need new gaskets. Also I found a leak around the TV antennae. I am going to take a hose to it and try to follow.
F250PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I was told by the previous owner the furnace didn't work and the Rv place, I took it to, said it was doubtful, but they got it running after 30-45 minutes of my persistence, with no parts or changes. It's been running great.

I've decided to keep mine sort of original, unless I get a good offer. Let me know if anything is getting tossed or up for sale, and I'll do the same. I think I'm going to try and bring out the jet look in this thing by stream lining the ceiling and adding rope leds tucked over the "over head compartments". I once saw an AS with small windows in the some of the doors, it really gave it the look I'm after. I hate to do it, but something has to be done about the dark wood grain also. There just to much of it. I think I might install actual jet over head compartments with the cool shock absorber doors. It will balance the wood grain. I also can't stand dealing with almost, or already broken roll up doors. I just feel like everything is about to break, it's not a comfortable way to live.

Yours was in the salty north, mine was in the bright, hot, desert. I'm curious if your plastic is brittle, like mine.?

I didn't catch what you paid for it.?
nomader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I found that gunk on the lower half of mine, I thought it was just years of neglecting to clean were people don't look. I ran a kerosene heater in a house I was working on, ONCE. It put more of a sooty, black, debris on the top half of the room. What a pain, I had just finished the new drywall and primer.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
simple green and a scrubber?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I found that Super Clean worked the best for me. Simple Green didn't even touch the stuff that Super Clean melted right off. Mr Clean Magic Eraser was also great for some tough spots. Inland Andy has a great suggestion of using Future on the vinyl clad aluminum for covering up the stickyness it develops with age and it also just make it look nice!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I was going to rent a steam mop/cleaner and have at it. My plan is to prime with Kilz and then paint. Carefully following instructions from the forum.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
We used "Marine Clean" from the Por 15 company. That is some great stuff also. It comes in a large container at 100% concentrated and a spray bottle where you can mix a % with water. It cut through the buildup on the vinyl clad walls in mostly 1 coat and was squeeky clean. A few tough spots we used a second coat. We still have most of the jug left using a 15% concentration. Should last quite a while.

I got stuck on trying this stuff everywhere after seeing it in the camper. We have jet skiis and after a winter under covers, we get a nice growth (green) on the vinyl seats, handlebars each year. I could never get it all off. This stuff cut right through it and they looked new this year for once. Good stuff.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Where are the pics?

Nevermind, they showed up after the refresh button.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #29
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
The Only advice I can give you is, Go look at her IN THE RAIN. Wait for a rainy day and step inside and lift up the cushions/wood where the seats are. Look at the window seals. Is the floor solid? If it's weak in some places, start there.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
well, I was inspired. I pulled out the credenza and fridge, and will take out the couch in the pm, tomorrow. I flipped the fridge, nothing happened for about 4 seconds, then I heard it break on through a clog. I flipped a couple times to get it flowing nice. I'm hopeful. and now I'm letting it sit and settle back. I was told to go ahead and fire it up, but I think your supposed to let a normal household fridge sit 24 hours if you lay it down.

I also figured out the drain in the bath was in fact the vent. Sorry,, I wasn't making sense. I will probably put the hump back, just foe the flow of things. It wasn't a complete loss of time, I needed to replace the water lines with pex and vacuum the mouse homes away. Moving the fridge exposed some nasty stuff, and let me make sense of the PO's wiring as well.

I have to check out the super and marine clean.
I saw a restoration were someone had the window trim looking like stainless steel.
I'm guessing they were new?
Are you planning to go back with the J couch?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yes in a way, I found a sectional that becomes a queen bed from ikea. We are a family of four plus two golden retrievers, we need the twins in the back for the little people and me and the wife will be in the front. Planning on a divider of some sorts for the front for more privacy.

I have measured and the sectional will fit. So should be a good plan.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
I was debating on reusing mine. I really hate to say it, but the couch frame is getting rickety. I'll have to check that out.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f355...dor-45328.html

There is no telling what's behind those walls.....
kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250PUP View Post
BTW the stains on the walls is not water just gunk. The PO used a kerosene heater and there is this crud all over the trailer. Going to rent a steam mop of some sorts to get this stuff out.
Steam cleaning the interior walls, won't do a thing for any deposits that have accumulated within the walls.

It would be a good idea to remove at least a section of the wall where the "deposits" are located, and make sure you won't be hiding a problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Andy:
It is good to hear from you I was getting worried !!!!! I have been debating taking the walls out or at least a portion. I cleaned a spot with simple green and it came off with a little elbow grease. What could be back there ? Mold Mildew etc..... I guess. I haven't found any mouse droppings. After reading Kaydee's post thats was one of my concerns. The PO used a kerosene heater for heat.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy:
It is good to hear from you I was getting worried !!!!! I have been debating taking the walls out or at least a portion. I cleaned a spot with simple green and it came off with a little elbow grease. What could be back there ? Mold Mildew etc..... I guess. I haven't found any mouse droppings. After reading Kaydee's post thats was one of my concerns. The PO used a kerosene heater for heat.
It's far easier to pull an inside panel, or at least a part of it, and check for whatever.

It's best to do it where you have all that discoloring.

If it's clean, great.

If it's not clean, then remove the rest of the interior and see everything that may be wrong.

Better to do it now, instead of assuming, then later having to remove all the furniture, along with the walls.

Andy
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Out of curiosity what could be back there......I m a little afraid ? Seriously what might be behind the walls?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
My inner walls was loaded with mice tunnels and droppings.
The insulation was failed. Some of the seams had leaked causing the insulation
to bunch up at the bottom of the bays, along with being ruined by the mice.
I found burnt wires and chewed wires.
I'm real glad that I gutted it and removed all the walls. There was a massive mouse nest under the tub and over the rear inner end cap.
The wiring for the cigatte lighter in the bathroom was melted and had had a small fire.
The wiring for the light over the door had a melt down. The wiring for one rear tail light had been chewed in half and some of the 110 volt outlet wiring in the bathroom had been chewed on.
kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
awesome....looks like i ll be removing some of the walls. you guys really cheer me up !!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
awesome....looks like i ll be removing some of the walls. you guys really cheer me up !!!!
When ever the interior of an Airstream is a big mess, it's best to know what's behind the walls.

At worst, it could be that nasty 4 letter word, "mold".

Part of enjoying an Airstream, is relaxing with it, along with piece of mind. Assuming it's internal condition, could very easily be hazardeous to one's health.

Do what "must be done" for everyones well being and happiness.

Until the medical profession can come up with a cure for "aluminumitious" which is very contagious, that should be the one and only negative thing that a person should be exposed to, when in or near an Airstream.

Andy

Andy