Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Greenville , South Carolina
1966 Caravel refrigerator

I had to do some cleaning under the refrigerator before I fired it up it lit with no problem but nothing seems to work and I have it on max nothing cools flame is blue.

Is this the actual burner or the pilot light is there something else that keeps saying do I need to flip a switch even though I don't have any Electric unit shouldn't there be a blower motor
VetteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I had to do some cleaning under the refrigerator before I fired it up it lit with no problem but nothing seems to work and I have it on max nothing cools flame is blue.

Is this the actual burner or the pilot light is there something else that keeps saying do I need to flip a switch even though I don't have any Electric unit shouldn't there be a blower motor
I have a 67 caravelle my refrigerator used to barely work you have to let it sit for at least a day. Mine finally quit cooling I installed a new domestic that works great. I have read that sometimes you remove the refrigerator and turn it upside dow force couple of days and reinstall then it goes back to working.
KenDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Oh wow.. that's wild.
Problem is I believe that not enough gas is getting through.. no leaks.. even the water heater is flaming out..
New regulator.. might be dirt in the line? I'll put a vacuum on it
Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Fwiw

On the one hand, the fact that you have a refrigerator built in 1966 that still works is remarkable!

Mine is 1969 vintage, and while the interior plastic is cracked in some places, the freezer door hinges are busted, and there are some stubborn stains I can't get out, it still works! When I first got it about 15 years ago, I figured I'd replace it with a new unit once it died. (It was still working great as of last week)

So, some really old time AS owners once told me I would be crazy to replace this unit with new. "The new ones only last a few years," they said. "You'd be better off spending whatever it takes to repair this one, and if you do get rid of it, call me, I'll buy it off of you"

So, there's that. Given how it seems everything today is made with planned obsolescence, cheap material and cheap labor, having something made during a time when reputation, quality products and pride-in-craftsmanship where in vogue might mean something.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Wow..well. this one is gas only and it lights but it doesn't cool. If I can find one that would fit would be great or if I can find one that came out of older similar unit will be awesome because I hate to change my countertops
Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I don’t know what a new fridge would cost that would fit and how intent you are on keeping everything original looking. But we converted ours in the 55 to a two way, 12vdc and 120vac using an Icebox Conversion Kit by Isotherm. It was a bit pricey, but runs off the truck 12vdc while towing. No propane. We couldn’t be happier. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Either Dometic and/or Norcold has a data sheet that lists the closest fit current model to the model number of vintage refrigerators. You can to a web search for it, it is not that obscure.

Bottom line is that a new unit is going to be >$1000, assuming you get an ammonia evaporated unit that runs off propane/120AC and, if desired 12v.

Of course, you could do what some consider sacrilege and replace it with a cheap electric-only fridge for a few hundred bucks, but again, it won't be an exact fit.

None of the current models are an exact match size-wise for the vintage units, so if you replace your vintage fridge, be prepared to do some carpentry work.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
When I restored my 68 about 10 years ago, Dometic made a unit that was sized for the older dimensions. It was more expensive than the "current standard". It fit the space perfectly with no mods to the cabinets. I'm currently not at home so can't give you the model number. I do remember I bought it from PPL in Houston TX
Send me a PM if you want the model info
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, caravel