Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Theodore , Alabama
1962 Globe Trotter HELP!!

I need advise on how to cheaply as possible do a restoration or to remove damage and prep for restoration? Or what demo would be needed to completely be ready for rebuid. Posting pics of trailer to give reference. Thanks guys,

Hey we wind, could use your personal experience as I have an Ohio built model myself.
Attached Files
JDiz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Looks like you have two threads going with the same topic--you might want to ask a site admin to consolidate them.

To fix all that damage in the rear properly, you are going to have to remove all of the interior furnishings (ie., the bathroom components, and then remove the interior skins so that you can get at the inside of the exterior shell.

Once you have access to the inside of the shell where those damaged segments are, you will drill out/shear the bucked rivets to remove the segments. Do not discard them. You cannot buy new ones, and your ownly options are to find used parts, or to straighten out the ones you have on an English Wheel.

You might as well do a very thorough examination of the condition of your subfloor all around the perimeter of the trailer, as I suspect you will find a fair amount of rot. This is where you decide to do some patching of the rotten spots, or a complete floor replacement.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Theodore , Alabama
Pegged it

Thanks Belegedhel, and you were exactly right. Flooring is damaged beyond repair around entire body yet the shell is not sagging or loose as of yet. To save money, I'll replace just the damaged/missing peices. As far as the rear damaged/missing aluminum in the rear. The two panels where the shower was we're damaged beyond repair (int&ext) there is also some crumpling and dents to the exterior piece on the passenger side. There is no way to replace them without finding used parts? What would be the best replacement flooring to use as I would like to recondition the framing and replace the missing flooring with a pre insulated flooring (if it exists) and treat the existing floor somehow to lose the weight of the aluminum base and all the additional insulation there in if possible. Also, the back window glass is gone and the frame is badly damaged. What would you recommend I do there as well? Loaded questions but I need and very much appreciate the advise. Thanks all!!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Theodore , Alabama
Is it kosher to put a for sale addition to this post? I want to find someone who may be able to afford to do a more thorough restoration if possible.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Use the classified section

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Interior parts for bathrooms come up from time to time on the classifieds and craigslist when people do conversions to commercial use or totally modern contemporary interiors. No quick find but search long enough you'll find anything if you look hard enough and are patient (both I suck at).

Be careful just patching floors. Keep in mind the plywood spans the entire floor structure. The frame looks a lot like a ladder, but basically everything outward of the inside of the wheel well is welded on to the main rails of the ladder, basically an overhang of sorts. The plywood spans that and really helps stiffen the frame. If you only replace the perimeter you lose all that lateral strength and put all the stress of the body on those outriggers. Everywhere is important, but the front and rear most pieces should be as close to whole as possible. You'll need to drop down the belly pan to rebolt the body to the frame members too. It's a lot of work, but to do it right you need to remove the cabinets and appliances, and remove the lower 4' of aluminum all the way around inside to access the bolts, then drop the belly pan to access below to put the nuts on all the bolts. If it's rotted you'll likely have some outriggers that are rusted out too, but your local metal fabricator can bend you new metal to match then you can cut it to the lengths and profiles you need and either weld or have them welded in place as you go.

There are lots of threads here on the forums that you can see the process. If it's rotten all the way around the next important thing is to find the leaks now and fix those while the skins are off. Welcome to the forums, you've got a cute little trailer! With some hard work (and lots of money) it will be a gem!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1962, airstream, damaged, globetrotter, how to