Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
1962 22' Safari Renovation for 06/16 Wedding Night

Hello Airforums!

My goal is to get my 1962 22' Airstream Safari presentable and sleepable for my wedding night, June 4, 2016.
I've got the trailer, a heated indoor space for the renovation, and an amazing fiancée who loves the idea, but I'm going to need your help!

So far I've got all the furniture, fixtures, etc. out and saved for future use.

My plan is to get everything behind the walls and below the floor in tip-top shape and then refinish and reinstall the furniture for the wedding. (We're not planning on using it for the honeymoon so it doesn't have to be 100% functional by June 4.)

June 4 priorities:
  1. Frame repaired and painted
  2. Grey and drinking water tanks below floor?
  3. Exterior "water tight"
  4. New insulation
  5. Working trailer lights
  6. Working interior electrical
  7. Composting toilet
  8. New axil and tires
(Probably not going try to have the plumbing and gas fully functional by June 4.)

At a later date I will polish the exterior, redesign the interior, and make her into a fully functional boondocker. I'd like to build in some features now that will make it easier to make changes in the future. Any suggestions?

Here's what I've brainstormed so far:
  1. Full CAD drawings based on what's discovered during the wedding renovation.
  2. Design new floor for easy subfloor access after wedding.
  3. Run electrical conduit throughout.
  4. Redesign belly pan for easy removal without messing with buck rivets.

What do you wish Airstream had built in to make renovations easier? Any ideas on how to achieve 2 & 4 on the list above?

Given the deadline, my biggest question right now is whether to do a frame-off floor repair, or keep the frame on. Large sections of the floor look good but there is definitely rot in the typical areas. It seems to me that frame on/off depends a lot on how much frame repair is required. Is this correct? Is there any way to asses the frame before I take the floor out? (Un)fortunately the belly skin is in good shape so it's not giving me a good look at the frame.

Thanks for your help and support in advance. Looking forward to this!

Bradley

PS - I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned in other full renovation threads, so I want to say it here (I only recently discovered this)....
The 9" floor tiles and adhesive most likely contain asbestos! Be careful and take appropriate precautions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8169.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	254258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8166.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	254259  

Name:	IMG_8042.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	254260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8044.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	254261  

skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sounds like great plan and a fun way for you guys to work together, yes on asbestos, yes its mentioned here.

What role or function will the trailer be playing in the wedding.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
the trailer will be on-site for the ceremony and reception. gonna be a great backdrop for pictures! it will also be our home for our wedding night.

looking forward to doing the work!
Old 12-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
jacking up airstream

i want to get the trailer up higher in the air so i can work on the underside. i have the tongue supported by a 4x4 on jacks. i'm planning to support the rear with a 4x4 running the full width of the trailer. it is positioned just in front of the bumper ends (see pic below).

does this look ok? am i going to damage anything by doing this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8237.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	254330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8239.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	254331  

Name:	IMG_8240.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	254332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8241.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	254333  

Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
we have LIFTOFF!!

ok so i got impatient and went ahead and lifted the trailer. worked great! the trailer is in the air with the wheels on cinder blocks for extra security.

question: did 1962 zolatone have lead in it? i just used a store bought tester and it looks like it does. haven't seen mention of this on the forums though...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8245.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	254338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8252.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	254339  

Name:	IMG_8254.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	254340  
Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Needed for the wedding nite? Make sure the frame is re-inforced.
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
Hello Airforums!

Given the deadline, my biggest question right now is whether to do a frame-off floor repair, or keep the frame on. Large sections of the floor look good but there is definitely rot in the typical areas. It seems to me that frame on/off depends a lot on how much frame repair is required. Is this correct? Is there any way to asses the frame before I take the floor out? (Un)fortunately the belly skin is in good shape so it's not giving me a good look at the frame.
I think the shell off/shell on decision has more to do with whether or not the person doing the repairs has the right kind of space to remove the shell and keep it safe. There's also the consideration of the amount of time it takes to remove and replace the shell compared to the advantages of having it off. I opted not to remove the shell when welding the frame and doing a full floor replacement on our '74 Sovereign and never regretted that decision.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wedding backdrop and wedding night sounds fantastic.

So all you need is a clean fresh interior with working steps/stoop to get inside.

A nicely made bed with fresh fluffy linens, two somethings as nightstands, some battery operated candles, a chair or two to sit, a coat rack to put your clothes, I wish I could volunteer to stage your honeyairsuite. All things easily brought from an apartment. Sounds like a fun task for your bridal party to do.

Good luck

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Great project. We are almost working in parallel. I started gutting a 65 Safari in late October. So far everything is out. Frame has been welded in weak areas, wire brushed and painted with two coats of POR-15. Two gray water tanks and a new black tank have been ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply. Once the tanks go in I plan to start putting the new floor in.

It has been great fun so far and I am learning to push myself out of my comfort zone. Good luck and I am interested in your progress.

Dave
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The asbestos in vinyl-asbestos tiles is pretty well bonded. If you don't use power tools that send dust flying you don't have much to worry about. Wear a dust mask. Speaking from industrial experience! Be respectful of the potential danger but asbestos doesn't go around jumping at you the way a poisonous gas does!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
The asbestos in vinyl-asbestos tiles is pretty well bonded. If you don't use power tools that send dust flying you don't have much to worry about. Wear a dust mask. Speaking from industrial experience! Be respectful of the potential danger but asbestos doesn't go around jumping at you the way a poisonous gas does!
JCW
thanks JCWDCW! i've been wearing a mask and have a good negative pressure system going with a HEPA filter at the exhaust (which blows into my larger studio so i want to be clean). i've also been trying to keep the floor damp whenever i scrape the tiles up.

if i'm going to repair/remove the floor i'm going to need some power tools. do you suggest i remove all tiles in the cutting area before i cut?

any thoughts about the leaded zolatone?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8256.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	254343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8255.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	254344  

Old 12-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Less than 6 months to go-
You better get a move on!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
We bought a $20 heat gun from ACE Hardware to assist with getting the asbestos tiles up. Heat the tiles from the top side as you pull to remove.
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by riowerks View Post
We bought a $20 heat gun from ACE Hardware to assist with getting the asbestos tiles up. Heat the tiles from the top side as you pull to remove.
Great tip! Thanks!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I was able to repair the bad sections of floor, and leave the rest. The main frame bolts through the floor plywood- I pried it apart then sliced the bolts with a sawzall. So I slid out the funky section and replaced it and its bolt with new. So far, so good!

I moved my bathroom from the back and replaced it with a queen bed, which I designed as a kind-of hollow spar to further support the rear end.

As you shop for a composting head, don't neglect the new kid on the block, C-Head. I have a Nature's Head, but probably would have gone with a C-Head if I had known about them.

That Zolatone hides a multitude of sins, and the new roll-on Flex makes application very easy. You can contact them about any issues with the older stuff. They still hand-mix their batches, so are quite knowledgeable on their product.

I'm with Hittenstiehl on this: don't rush the interior details, get to know what will be best for you by taking out the trailer with minimal stuff in it. Camp chairs and a banquet table, bed, and a temp kitchen with a camp stove is what you need, and is still far superior to a tent on the ground! Airstreams are meant to move- I feel bad for people that spend years working on an Airstream without ever having taken it out! Having design meetings in camp is really fun, but can take it's toll on beverage supplies, so be sure to stock plenty!

If you're replacing the axle, you might want to do the springs and shocks while you're at it. It is your wedding night, after all!

(somebody had to go there!)
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I would want to take up tiles where I was going to cut the floor. You already are being more careful than most. Asbestos is a delayed action thing in your lungs and some are way more sensitive or prone to getting a lung disease than others...no way to tell as I understand it! All of us Seniors grew up with lead paint and chewing on crib railings. We still put the first man on the moon, so lead is not such a bogey-man, but as we have learned, prevention is better than dealing with the consequences. Children are most at risk to lead, and lead dust is the only regulated exposure; regulations usually kick in in industry where lead paint is being sand blasted. I believe what you have been doing for Asbestos will do quite adequately for lead paint; You are not likely raising a dust cloud of lead paint, but if you are sanding then be careful and diligent.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
As you shop for a composting head, don't neglect the new kid on the block, C-Head. I have a Nature's Head, but probably would have gone with a C-Head if I had known about them.
thanks for this tip!

Quote:
I'm with Hittenstiehl on this: don't rush the interior details, get to know what will be best for you by taking out the trailer with minimal stuff in it.
interesting ideas about the wedding interior. i guess i've been wanting to have an interior to show off, but that's never the best reason to do anything. i'm thinking it wouldn't be more than a weekend of work to get the old interior back in, with the plan of removing it again after. you guys definitely got me thinking about a more minimal approach for the wedding night though.

Quote:
If you're replacing the axle, you might want to do the springs and shocks while you're at it.
currently i've got a worn out torsion axil. was planning to replace with the same. am i going to be happier in the long run with a shock system? i know nothing about how to do that, but i bet there's info on the forums.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I would want to take up tiles where I was going to cut the floor. You already are being more careful than most.
JCW
thanks jcw. i'm going to call zolatone and see what they have to say. after seeing the test result i'm thinking of stripping the whole interior. might as well get all the nasties out while i'm at it!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I think the shell off/shell on decision has more to do with whether or not the person doing the repairs has the right kind of space to remove the shell and keep it safe. There's also the consideration of the amount of time it takes to remove and replace the shell compared to the advantages of having it off. I opted not to remove the shell when welding the frame and doing a full floor replacement on our '74 Sovereign and never regretted that decision.
thanks for weighing in! i definitely have the space to keep the shell safe, but i'm worried about time. think i'll start working towards a shell-on floor replacement and use the shell-off as a plan B.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
Great project. We are almost working in parallel. I started gutting a 65 Safari in late October. So far everything is out. Frame has been welded in weak areas, wire brushed and painted with two coats of POR-15. Two gray water tanks and a new black tank have been ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply. Once the tanks go in I plan to start putting the new floor in.
thanks dave! i'll look for your posts and try to follow in your foot steps.

is your user name in reference to the river in NC? beautiful place. growing up i spend my summers canoeing and kayaking all over that area. fond memories!

Tags