Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Apeldoorn , The Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to JimHoek
1960 Traveler lose ground wire from hitch

I am rewiring my 18 footer and one of the problems I can't fix until now is the ground lead from the hitch. All the leads are okay, it's just the ground lead that isn't. So, nothing is working...

Does anybody know where this ground leak should be fastened to the frame and or chasis? I can see the hitch wiring go in the bottom, at the front, but can't find it anywhere in the trailer.

I must mention this trailer is redone by someone else, and there are panels on the floor in the cubboards, and there's a new tile floor over the original one. I suspect there might be an inspection hatch somewhere...
Jim, WBCCI #3755 OCC #1580
The Netherlands
1959 Airstream 18ft Traveler
Avatar: 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500
my pictures
JimHoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Jim- your ground lead from the TV originally lead to the battery. I would imagine the PO has since updated the electrical. Whay type of converter/power control do you have in your trailer. Sorry, no inspection hatches!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
There's no converter/power control, battery or whatsoever in the trailer. It's just a plane Jane...
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 09-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHoek
I am rewiring my 18 footer and one of the problems I can't fix until now is the ground lead from the hitch. All the leads are okay, it's just the ground lead that isn't. So, nothing is working...

Does anybody know where this ground leak should be fastened to the frame and or chasis? I can see the hitch wiring go in the bottom, at the front, but can't find it anywhere in the trailer.

I must mention this trailer is redone by someone else, and there are panels on the floor in the cubboards, and there's a new tile floor over the original one. I suspect there might be an inspection hatch somewhere...

Have you put a temporary ground to the chassis to see if this will bring the nonworking items? On my old Globetrotter there was a square plate riveted to the belly pan near the steps. This was the location at which the trailer whip connected to the trailer wiring. I do not know if this was original or not.

BTW I had a x boss who grounded his boat running lights to his fiberglass hull and wondered why they didn't work.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Have you put a temporary ground to the chassis to see if this will bring the nonworking items?
Yep. I did that, and everything works fine then. So, if I have to, I can always run a seperate ground wire. But it's just that I want it to be original...
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
On my 60 trdwnd ,the ground from the battery neg is in the trailers battery box ,originally mounted on the front of the trailer under the front window ,(as mine is) enters into the coach in the box area and thru the wall and goes into the inner wall down low on the curbside front ,near a double glass fuse assembly like older houses have .The ground does NOT go to that fuse panel ,I just referenced that for information .It screws to the wall thru an eyelet on the end of the wire .Now if your wiring has been changed or otherwise updated it all may be different .The ground wire for the trailer
never screwed to the hitch or the tongue .Thats always a crappy connection place ,corrosion sets up" house" very fast .you want the ground to be an extension of the ground at your trailer plug ,no grounds on the frame rail
just have a wired path from the trailer ground ,inside wall (metal ) and have
it go to the trailer battery ground ,then on to the trailer plug itself .
My 60 trdwnd is original in its layout and works just great .I even have the two umbilical trailer plug connections as original ,one is for 12 volt pos and
negative only ,the other is for lighting and trailer brakes ,turn stop etc.Now then ,this may answer your question if the one plug (12v pos /neg ) has been
changed .there should be TWO plug sockets , one in the middle at the base
of the front of the trailer and the other towards the streetside ,outside of the tongue frame ,right by the bottom edge of the trailer front .so you would then find the original ground might be up in the belly pan where the
socket may have been .Anyway ,not certain whats been done but thats the story as how it originally would have been .Yes I do know that my original
setup of two plugs is not todays standardized way of doing it ,but If my trailers is to be towed, my International will be the only one to do it ,and my
trailer retains its original features .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Still haven’t found where my TV wiring is coming in…
I do not have a battery in my trailer, and I think it might have never been there. I do have a blue wire (12v power) coming in and going out again under the front seat. I had to connect them to get the 12v going to my dome light. I suspected there might have been a battery in that compartment (under the seat), but I couldn’t find any sign of it.
Under the front window, in the trailer, is the clean water tank. A replacement I think, SS. Didn’t move that one yet, to inspect and see what’s under there.
I have a single glass fuse where the 110v power comes in. I have disconnected this, for replacement with a less life threatening device… Might this cause the problem?
My trailer has one 7-wire connector, that had a patch with different colors on it. I guess that was done because of the color codes nowadays. I removed it. I like to keep it/bring it back to as original as possible.
Regards, Jim.
The Netherlands
my pictures
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Jim the glass fuses usually are not 110 volt ,they are for 12volt .your trailer should have breakers near the shore power inlet at the rear of your trailer .
do you have an aluminum long narrow box outside under the front window ? that is the battery box . it would have a long narrow battery ,a 3EE now found in forklifts here in the US .your water tank should be aluminum or maybe steel ,no stainless was made unless it was a custom replacement
like I did with my 60 trdwnd .you may PM markdoane ,hes got a 59 trdwnd
and it should be pretty much the same as your 59 traveler in terms of the electrical setup .How about some pictures of what you have ,the wiring and other pics of the areas you need help with ,like the glass fuse holder .That could help us help you better hopefully ,and your front electrical plug area
on the trailer etc.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags