Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #1

Half Moon Bay , California
1960 Globetrotter Project

Hello everyone! I am new here but I am hoping your opinions will be of help to me. I am currently considering buying a 26' 1960 Globetrotter that has been gutted with the exception of the bathroom. The body has a couple of dents and the frame has a bent side member. The owner is asking for $1000, but I can probably talk him down a bit. I am an electrician with a background in carpentry and my father is a carpenter with over 30 years of experience. I have no problem undertaking a rebuilding project with this trailer, but I am not sure if this is the right price or trailer to buy.

The trailer is ready for a fresh start. Cabinets and everything would need to be built. Modern wiring, plumbing and appliances can be installed... Any opinions? Here is a link to the listing for the owners description.

Thank you, I really appreciate your input!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #2

Apologies. I meant a 26' 1960 Overlander.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Personally I think that's too high for what you're getting. That's basically a shell (in need of repair), floor (in need of repair), and no interior.

Take a pass on that one and keep looking. The money you would spend on it, would be better off being spent on a slightly more expensive one in need of less work.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The big concern I have are the big dents - those would be hard to remove. I paid 2500 for mine and had to gut it - otherwise 1000 does not sound all that bad to me..

You can see my project here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ion-12320.html - took about three years to get in usable condition. If you want late 50's early 60's they can be hard to find.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #5

GreatPumpkin: If I decide to go after this trailer I intend to talk him down to $750 or if I am real lucky, $500.

Ken J: I realize that the dents would be tough to remove, but I have no idea how tough. Any insights? Is it easier to just replace those panels? How much trouble is that and how much would it cost?

Thanks for the response guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #6

Ken J, I just finished reading your thread. Your Overlander looks amazing. The woodwork is top notch. If I end up taking on this project I can only hope my Airstream looks half as good as yours.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
mcdev

IMHO $1,000 is too much to pay for this unit. Offer $500 and maybe go to $600 or a tad more. By the time you are done you will easily have another 4 to 5 thousand in it. The dents are a concern. They are big - and you may bet them out to a point where you could live with them, but it depends on how perfect you want this to be.

Consider what you may have to pay for one that is already in decent condition but needs a refresh - you may find that in the short and long term you are bucks ahead and able to use it much sooner. If you do buy it get as much of the original stuff that you can from the seller. If he doesn't have it that would be a question to ask why not? Did he buy it like this as a project and realize it was far more involved than he thought it would be?

Price out at your local RV parts supplier and on the net a Dometic fridge, a range, range hood, heater (or A/C if you want that), roof vents, water heater, sink, faucet(s), all the plumbing supplies, black tank, cupboard hardware, materials for floor, counters and cupboards, propane supplies, propane tanks, wire and converter, battery, lighting, frame repair (welding required etc), windows if any are broken, upholstery, and I'm sure I've missed stuff. Without the labor, just the things above, I'm sure you will find that you have amassed quite a cost to be factored in. This does not include your own efforts or your fathers, other family and friends. Of course they will expect beverages, food and depending on their choice of beverages and how adept they are at taking care of those while taking care of the business at hand that could also be something to consider.

Also, this is going to take a big space to undertake. Do you have the infrastructure in place to facilitate a major rebuild of this nature.

Just my thoughts. Having started a Silver Streak, then moving part way through it to an Airstream and passing the SS over to my neighbor, I've seen the whole ball of wax and realize that when you can get the best one possible and work from there. It saves time, dollars, frustration, and gets you out camping much sooner which is the whole intent of this.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barry
Old 06-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Barry gives some great advice - buy the best you can afford - much cheaper in the long run - I know from experience that I bought my 59 in great shape - didn't need much and the 58 was not in good shape and have more money in it than I would like to admit.

As far as those dents - those panels are hard to replace - you may be able to pull them out - however I would pass on the trailer because of those dents - if I remember the dents on on the seams which makes them harder to pull - however everything is fixable on these trailers - just depends on how much effort you want to give it - plenty out there without major dents.

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags