Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
purple haze runnin round my brain.... ok, ok, brad must be up to his old tricks again....i mean totally......gag me with a spoon dude...... by the by...whats scrap aluminium going for these days?

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
on second thought, does it come with that milkshake thingy?

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 05-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
That is roughly what I have estimated the cost of my Overlander refit.I had to replace everything including frame and running gear.
Well, I've seen your pictures on another thread, and the work you've done is amazing! If anyone can do it, you can!

But on Project Vintage Thunder, we replaced most of the stuff I mentioned and the parts bill is already $11,000 (nearly $15,000 if you include the materials that were donated by sponsors such as refrigerator). You can see the itemized list at www.airstreamlife.com/vintagethunder

Have you kept a diary or budget of the out-of-pocket expenses on your project?

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I am hoping to get in under 15,000. Still a great deal given it will be better than new.

1) Buy new and play getting it right with the dealer.
2) Buy used in great shape, use it 5 years and sell it. Start again. (the low cost option)
3) Buy vintage and screw around with it until you give up and do 1,2,or4
4) The Full Monty

I finished painting the frame today with POR 15. When it dries I start putting the floor on. Final got good weather on a day I had time to paint.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I have kept all bills so far for my project.When I get further along I will post an itemized list.The biggest expense has been the aluminum at about $2500.I was able to get seven sheets at the recycler for 1/4 the cost and that saved me a bundle.I will use those sheets on the interior as they are scratched.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've budget $12,000 for my 58 - not sure where I am at the moment. I agree with Greg - it is restorable as those are flat sheets. However I understand the point in that the seller is not representing it accurately. In my view, any trailer that age is gonna need a floor replacement. My floor was solid except for a small spot in front that turned out to be a big spot and the rear was sperated - the old bolts were loose in the floor soooo all new floor.

It all depends on price and how much time you have - always better to pay a little more and work a little less.

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
If you guys would post your actual costs at the appropriate time, I think a lot of people would be grateful. I know we were surprised at how the expenses mounted up.

Admittedly, on Project Vintage Thunder we chose a lot of optional "extras" which pushed our expenses up fast, so a few more budgets from people doing different types of refurbishments would help give us all perspective. I've seen a few "budgets" presented online which are shockingly low, and I wonder if in some cases the owners were kidding themselves and not allocating the true expenses.

We included the cost every single item we bought, down to the last screw, and also the cost of tools purchased specifically for the job such as the rivet shaver. I would certainly understand if most people aren't so meticulous about it.

BTW, the 53 Clipper in question seems stalled on eBay at $860.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I will try to do that - on the other hand, some of us don't really want to know - if ya know what I mean................

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #23
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'm sure I'm in the same neighborhood as you guys, but if I total it up the spouse will blow a head gasket.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Since budget is tight for us, I've been keeping a book on ours, though nowhere as detailed as Vintage Thunder. We've done nearly everything ourselves and I find that our work effort so far has run somewhere over $4K (I'm at work, the tally is at home), but I do recall one thing--it's the piddly Home Depot runs that really add up. The other thing is we've probably also spent about $500 on tools we never needed before.

There is a good side to this. It's expenses we can control, to a certain extent. If we had a brand new trailer, say one costing $30 K (maybe $40 K when you add in the cost of a loan), there's no way we could avoid making payments each month. On the other hand, if money is tight, I can simply avoid buying materials for a month, perhaps making do with what is on hand or taking on a different project. I'm doing this kind of manipulation in a very real way now, running in wire for an entertainment system I don't intend to buy for some time. This makes it more manageable from a budgetary standpoint.

However, there is a tradeoff point. Trailers like this one just don't seem worth the huge effort they will require for restoration. it almost seems that it would be easier to recreate a trailer like this new from scratch than to restore this old one. Has anyone ever done that?

Looking at the pics (thanks, Rich), this trailer looks more and more like a set piece from Deliverance ( ). Its only value appears to be the milkshake machine on the table (let's just hope for the purchaser that it conveys).

Mary
Old 05-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
wow...are some of you folks really serious?.....that is the trailer from hell......it looks like a bad acid trip...
norby

Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Home Depot & Lowe's -- Just Say No

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
...it's the piddly Home Depot runs that really add up.
I'll second that. Look at our spreadsheet and you'll see a huge amount in a dozen runs to Lowe's and Home Depot. Those little bits & pieces you need for the plumbing, etc., can kill you!

I totally understand Ken J and markdoane when they say it might be better not to know. At several points I wished I hadn't kept track. It does get painful.

By the way, Mary, we just kept every receipt in a big pile and then entered them in a spreadsheet when there was time. Pretty easy especially if you use a credit card.

If we hadn't gone in for the big ticket frills like the Shurflo VSD water pump, the Nutone food center, the futon mattress, XM Radio, Polk audio speakers, etc., our bill could have been $1000 less. But hey, when you're doing a total restoration, how can you stop with less than what you truly want? That's another reason the tab often goes higher than expected, I think.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
My total

My total so far on my 1965 Caravel is 3848.77. This includes all tools, drill bits, hardware, paint brushes, new 12v wiring, axle, belly pan aluminum, plywood, insulation, etc.. I had the bath enclosure refinished. I am keeping the old furnace, HW heater, fridge, and stove. The upholstery just needed drycleaning. Keeping the foam. Keep in mind that I didn't buy these things all at once.

PS - This does not include the purchase price.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Oh my!

The trailer sold for $1,925!
Perhaps the trailer could be parted out for that amount?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags