Old 01-19-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

16' CCD Owners: Combo tank remarks

For those of you with the 16' CCD, how do you like your combination gray/black water tank? Does it handle your needs adequately? Thanks for replies, in advance!

HUBBA Barry and wife
Class B owners
Novato, California

Old 01-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hubba,

I don't subscribe to having a combined tank. I don't have one and I would be reluctant to purchase a unit that did, unless I was a camper that always knew I would have sewer hookups.

See the thing is that you will for sure, beyond question (if you are like at least 50% of most RVrs) use far more water that will go grey than you might for toilet. For example, dishes. You wash them perhaps once a day to once every other day. Sure you could lug along pans and do them outside, but to me it defeats the purpose of having the sink more or less. Then there is the shower. What if you decide to take one? All that water will go to the grey tank and if no grey tank is there, it all...you guessed it....goes into the combined tank.

Bottom line, lets say in the worst case senario, your out boondocking and your tank gets full. Now sewage combined with grey water could backup into the shower (which is usually the lowest point in the coach). In a pinch, if you had 2 seperate tanks, capture some of the grey and unload some of it to make more room if the campground didn't allow purging of grey water. Once you add sewage to that equation, it's a whole different matter.

So I don't have a combined tank, but I hope that gives you a sense as to why a good number of folks dislike a combined tank. I am sure there are other reasons both for and against. I just happen to fit more into one of the "non" camps.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:08 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Lightbulb

This may be a stupid question, but isn't there some kind of a one-way valve that could be put at the junction where pipes go into the tank? That way if it filled up you might end up with your sink backed up with grey water that couldn't proceed into the tank, but all the really nasty black water would stay in the tank. Seems like a system that results in poop in the showerpan is less than optimal, and seeing as how we can put robots on Mars and all...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Steph,

I am sure it's possible, but the problem is that most of the "check" valves that you describe are gravity driven. I would think that if the tank would fill that the trap door in the check valve might not seat properly and "float" more or less depending on where it could be installed given the space limitations. See if the tank fills and you by mistake use the shower, the check valve would open and then might not close and since you couldn't empty the tank in the senario I described in my last post.

A nice idea, but not sure how effective it might be. Of course, I'm no engineer. But I like how your thinking though!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
There is a simple float valve in my Bissel carpet cleaner that stops the unit from sucking water into the vacuum motor. It could work in a tank.

One assumption would be that all of the grey water piping enters the tank from a single inlet.

The ball hangs in a cage slightly bigger than the ball below the inlet. As the level of the tank rises for ANY reason the ball floating up would seat against the roof of the cage and the rubber seal that should be there. This would stop the flow of water into the tank from the grey piping.

Yes the water would back up into the shower if you were using the sink. The contamination should be minimal and you would not have raw sewage in the shower to deal with.

Just my $.02 worth
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Seems like anything is better than sewage in the shower. I had a surprise waiting for me in the showerpan after a trip where I'd forgotten to install the drainplug before towing. I don't know where that all came from, but the stuff in the showerpan was brown If I ever have to work on the black tank for anything (Lord, I hope not), we'll think more about the valve idea!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kitimat , british columbia
Okay it has been a long winter, if I remember well. We would fill up with water when we first arrive at a camp site, our 16 ft bambi isn't big, so I do dishes after each meal, we don't use the biffy during the day (use the public washrooms), but do shower before bedtime. After 2 nights, by the 3rd am we have to empty the black/grey. But we still have fresh water. We travel with the trailer so we usually are ready to move on. If we parked and stayed I could see the size being an issue.

Jackie