Old 09-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
Cool 12V Short is killing me!!!!

1976 Argosy 26'

Out of the blue, just sitting there, branch #3 fuse blew. I measure a short from branch #3 to ground. Going through every single thing using 12v on that circuit I find nothing.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
I dont know what items are on your branch 3, Do you? Have you tried replacing the fuse with one of the correct amperage? If you are using a meter to determine there is a short to ground keep in mind that a small light bulb will cause your meter to read continuity to ground.If you replaced the fuse and it blew right away find out what items are on that fuse and disconnect them one at a time until your short is gone.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
It's a bad thought, but you might have a wire rubbing through its insulation somewhere deep within a wall.

Have you checked the wiring itself?

Best of luck!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
Branch number three is all the stuff in the front of the trailer from lights to the 12 V accessory plug and the porch light and radio. I have disconnected everything and I fear it may be in he walls. It is frustrating to say the least.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
I used an ohm meter and measured from the fuse (removed) to ground and get 0.7ohms. Totally a short. I went to everything that is 12v that I can access and disconnected it. Nothing changes. It appears that the wires go through the walls . I just can't believe that just sitting there I could develop a short. I could understand if I was towing it everywhere but sitting in my yard?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, as a mechanic I have fixed lots of cars by just going back to the first time you blew a fuse. Now, what was the last thing that you or someone else did to this trailer right before it started to blow fuses? Did you drill any holes in your trailer? Did you mount anything with screws? Did you change anything electrical, lights, bulbs, tongue jack, Etc? Did you change a radio or TV? Most of the electrical problems that I found and fixed were caused by the last thing done to the vehicle, no matter how much you think that it has/had nothing to do with it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Probably has nothing in common with your issue, but I just solved a dying battery issue by replacing a new Shurflo Smart Sensor 4.0 pump with a stupid pump that works. The Smart Sensor Pump was draining the battery overnight, along with the rest of the household electrical overhead. I was going crazy chasing this down, and finally noticed a small spark when I reconnected the fuse for the pump. When the pump was not running, I asked myself, why should it be using electricity? I was in communication with the Shurflo people when the pump finally quit entirely. I went to nearest town and bought a much cheaper pump and installed it, and the battery no longer dies while boondocking overnight.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've got a mechanical short in the wiring. Do you have a clamping dc volt/ohm meter?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Visitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingjee View Post
I used an ohm meter and measured from the fuse (removed) to ground and get 0.7ohms. Totally a short. I went to everything that is 12v that I can access and disconnected it. Nothing changes. It appears that the wires go through the walls . I just can't believe that just sitting there I could develop a short. I could understand if I was towing it everywhere but sitting in my yard?
If the short developed while the trailer was sitting, you might have furry little visitors that have chewed the insulation somewhere. Sorry, another bad thought.

In the absence of critter damage, the most likely place for the wiring to have rubbed is at the points where it comes through the inner skin to each "appliance" that uses the circuit. Suggest you get close to each of those places and inspect the daylights out of the wiring in those areas.

In our trailer, there's a jungle of wires in the rear compartment around and behind the fuse box. If I had the problem, I'd inspect all I could in that area as well. Some of those wires are free to flail around a little when the trailer is in motion. Your rig might be different.

I'll pray you find the problem in an area you can access with a roll of electrical tape and be done with it.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If the 12v is a complete branch....all lights connected to a single supply line....go to each light and disconnect it,(bypass it) then try the system. I think you can isolate that way and only loose one light until you locate and fix or delete it completely. This is a good sample of why I use individual 12v wiring to each light/outlet when I rebuild a vintage.....a simple and definite maintenance system for some future owner.

Tags
12v