Old 07-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Question Worn brake electromagnet?

While repacking the wheel bearings on my '67 Overlander, I noticed one wheel's electromagnet appears to be worn. I have never seen a new electromagnet, so I have no basis for comparison.

From what you can see in the following picture, what is your interpretation?

Also, when ordering parts for Kelsey-Hayes brakes, I noticed the parts are offered for 10" and 12" brakes. Does this dimension refer to the inside diameter of the drum?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electromagnet.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	7822  

Old 07-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have heard that if the magnet is worn to the tops of the screws it is time for new ones. The Round magnets are no longer made, they make them oval now. The oval ones will have more braking power co you will need to replace both sides, but they should both be wore out anyway

I don't know if the dimension is the inner or outer DIA of the drum, someone else here will know for sure.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Magnets worn to the screw heads are in need of replacement, as they rub on the side of the drum, creating friction which forces the shoes out to the drums. 10" and 12" refers to the inside diameter of the drums
Magnets are indeed now available only in oval, supposedly they work better, and both magnets on that axle will need to be replaced to equalize braking power.
Shoes should not need replacement as long as there is a minimum of 3/32" usable friction material left, new should be 10/32". I would replace if it was less than 5/32", so you don't have to go back in and put shoes on in six months.
Terry
Old 07-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have ovals on the front axle and rounds on the back. Fronts seem to run hotter with the ovals, maybe they are not broken in yet.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I have ovals on the front axle and rounds on the back. Fronts seem to run hotter with the ovals, maybe they are not broken in yet.
Ya know Pick, I think you mentioned this in another thread which dealt with IR temperature detectors. Are you sure your Airstream is riding level going down the road? If it was pitched forward a bit, the front axle bearings would run a bit hotter.

Just a thought,
Tom
Old 07-18-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Magnets worn to the screw heads are in need of replacement, as they rub on the side of the drum, creating friction which forces the shoes out to the drums. 10" and 12" refers to the inside diameter of the drums
Magnets are indeed now available only in oval, supposedly they work better, and both magnets on that axle will need to be replaced to equalize braking power.
Shoes should not need replacement as long as there is a minimum of 3/32" usable friction material left, new should be 10/32". I would replace if it was less than 5/32", so you don't have to go back in and put shoes on in six months.
Terry,

You are just plain "Da Man!" I appreciate having some actual thickness measurements to go by.

My linings appear to be in good shape, so I lean toward just replacing the electromagnets. Do you know if the ovals will "simply" pop in in place of the antique round ones? I ask because there are no trailer shops nearby to stop & compare parts.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I think you need new backing plates

I have heard that if you want to upgrade to the newer oval magnets from the round, a complete backing plate designed to accomodate them is required.

I could be mistaken about this - can anyone clarify?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
I have heard that if you want to upgrade to the newer oval magnets from the round, a complete backing plate designed to accomodate them is required.

I could be mistaken about this - can anyone clarify?
I believe that is correct. But etrailer.com still sells the round magnets.

Tom
Old 07-20-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I just bought a set of round magnets from Inland RV, thus avoiding the need to change the backing plate.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Ah, okay. Good to have the info out there so that folks with round magnet assemblies don't mistakenly think that they can go buy oval magnets for 'em (or vice versa). Nothing like having an extra trip to the parts house cut into our already precious weekend refurb time.

Anyone had their drums turned while they were off? Can a shop that turns auto rotors and drums handle these with no trouble?

Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...Anyone had their drums turned while they were off? Can a shop that turns auto rotors and drums handle these with no trouble?
I'm willing to bet a shop could turn out bad places on the brake shoe surface area, but they probably cannot do the perpendicular magnet surface area.

Tom
Old 07-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Ah, okay. Good to have the info out there so that folks with round magnet assemblies don't mistakenly think that they can go buy oval magnets for 'em (or vice versa). Nothing like having an extra trip to the parts house cut into our already precious weekend refurb time.

Anyone had their drums turned while they were off? Can a shop that turns auto rotors and drums handle these with no trouble?
I have done it on my brake lathe at my shop, but the average auto mechanic or parts store help won't be able to do it. Turning the friction part the shoes ride on isn't a problem, but the vertical part the magnets ride on is.
Terry
Old 07-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
If the brakes with oval magnets generate more braking force, those brakes should get hotter. More friction = more heat.

Bob
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I have done it on my brake lathe at my shop, but the average auto mechanic or parts store help won't be able to do it. Turning the friction part the shoes ride on isn't a problem, but the vertical part the magnets ride on is.
Terry

Sounds like I'll need to get on the phone to some of the machine shops here in town - someone's bound to have turned some of these somewhere...

Would think that an outfit capable of turning things like flywheels and such would know how or know someone who does. I'll check around here and see.

Thanks for the info, guys.